Motorbike Trip From Manila - Need Island Recommendations!

afathertobe
Posted
Posted

I have just booked my ticket to Manila over Christmas - NY. I have my motorbike parked in Manila, and plan a week-long trip from there. I like to travel a lot and cover some distance, so I need recommendations for possible routes including ferries/islands. 

I thought about taking a ferry directly from Manila to an island, rather than driving out of its urban sprawl for hours in bad traffic. But very much open to suggestions

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I am no expert. I hope that RBM will chip in about Negros, which I think might be a nice choice.

Mindanao could be fun.

I assume you have already done a circuit of northern Luzon? If not, I would do that. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Just a bit of a fantasy, as I haven't yet done it, but what about the ferry from Manila to Boracay (Batangas to Caticlan actually) and then drive down to Iloilo, cross over to Bacolod, down to Duma and across to Cebu island.  Then either take the ferry back to Manila or drive over to Leyte and up through Samar and back through all the traffic.

Anyone done that?  How long did you do it in?

• Like 3

bows00
Posted
Posted

In December, I will be taking a bus ride out to Mindoro - spend some time in Puerto Galera.

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

You can ride out to Quezon province and hop on the ferry at Dalahican to go to Marinduque.

• Like 1

afathertobe
Posted
Posted

Some great ideas guys, keep it coming. Will research on some of these and report back. 

afathertobe
Posted
Posted

Just a bit of a fantasy, as I haven't yet done it, but what about the ferry from Manila to Boracay (Batangas to Caticlan actually) and then drive down to Iloilo, cross over to Bacolod, down to Duma and across to Cebu island.  Then either take the ferry back to Manila or drive over to Leyte and up through Samar and back through all the traffic.

Anyone done that?  How long did you do it in?

Love the idea, might really do a variation of this, let's see if I get as far as Cebu in only a week's time but you never know! 

Manila - Batangas is around 4 hours, but instead of going straight to Boracay I might take the ferry (Patangas-Sabang) to Puerto Galera (1-2 hours), and stay there overnight. 

Then drive down down Mindoro to Roxas (which is a beautiful drive, have done parts of it) around 3 hours, take the ferry Roxas-Cataclan, followed by a short ferry to Boracay and stay there another night. 

After that I don't know whether I should skip Panay island as I can't find any touristic information on it online, and head straight to Bacolod (or somewhere else) or drive down to Iloilo, suggestions? 

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Personally if you have just a week available I would not advise leaving Luzon as it's going to be rushed. Plus the unknowns.

If it was myself I would spend my time around Albay region. For me this is a special area with the majestic mount Mayon as a back ground. Even a week is not enough here, lovely around the mountain trips mixed with some hikes, rivers and of course beautiful Legaspi City. Side trips to see the whale sharks in Donsol if interested.

Long motor cycle trips in the Philippines can be very tiring, one can cover a lot of territory and basically see nothing, Perhaps put quality over quality.

Ensure insurance is updated and always carry a small first aid kit, best to have it and not need it. From your post it would appear you have experience riding here so know what to expect.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
I should skip Panay island as I can't find any touristic information on it online

I am not a Motor bike rider so this is just for what its worth. We had to take a van once Malay (Boracay airport) to Kalibo, it was a beautiful drive, I can imagine that it would be a great bike ride. Pretty nice road, nice views right along the water etc. Have fun.

• Like 1

afathertobe
Posted
Posted

Personally if you have just a week available I would not advise leaving Luzon as it's going to be rushed. Plus the unknowns.

If it was myself I would spend my time around Albay region. For me this is a special area with the majestic mount Mayon as a back ground. Even a week is not enough here, lovely around the mountain trips mixed with some hikes, rivers and of course beautiful Legaspi City. Side trips to see the whale sharks in Donsol if interested.

Long motor cycle trips in the Philippines can be very tiring, one can cover a lot of territory and basically see nothing, Perhaps put quality over quality.

Ensure insurance is updated and always carry a small first aid kit, best to have it and not need it. From your post it would appear you have experience riding here so know what to expect.

Agreed that motorbike trips in traffic can be tiring, not so much in the countryside though. We did roughly 8 hours of driving a day in Cebu island, was great. 

Staying in Luzon is another idea of course, given that I already visited Puerto Galera and Boracay. 

But Albay is quite a distance too from Manila, almost 500km depending on the road you take (no highways), anything you could recommend in between, or a possible route you'd take? Manila - Calamba is quite the nightmare, so I'd try to venture East rather than South first. 

• Like 2