Family Acceptance To Foreigners Nick Names

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

My loving wife and I often times will kid with each other and poke fun in a loving way at each other :dance: . I guess it's part of how we identify each other as a couple. There's a time to be serious and a time to be a bit fun-loving. I say this because the other day after my wife had Skyped her family back home (about 10 smiling faces in our view leaning over the cam-wonderful people), I asked her toungue-in-cheek in our kidding way-"Sweetie? Why don't I yet have a nick name like Joe Joe, Jic Jic, Manang, Manoy, Dai, Toy Toy, and Do-Dong? How do I afford the distinction given to others of that right to be called something other than my name-just..."Steve"? :89:  Do any of you have nick names by the way? Do I need a certain percentage of vinegar in me? Do I need to eat Bulad, dried fish, etc? She said-you will always be Steve-because you are a foreigner. Foreigners, don't get nick names. I told her as a rebuttal, I know about 50 phrases in Bisayan to help me along once I'm there. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going so far as to want to be anything but who I am-in a light way-it's just the blending in I'm focused on-sort of. She smiled and changed the subject at that point.

In addition she networks with many FilAm couples here in the US, some she knew from her past, and here in the US, we-the citizens here are still referred to as the "Foreigner husband". Oh my! A man without a country!? In a way, in thinking about it, acceptance will only go so far. But it's ok.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Steve, we all have the same nickname...................JOE

NOT So  I am still referred to as HIM! or HE! 11 years and they have now got the message, I am a BRIT!

• Like 5

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

I hear them talking Ilocano about me during our rides.

I'm quite well accepted there. Apparently in the local dialect they call me "white man"

Our family name is Arrowsmith, close enough to Aerosmith to catch attention. My wife, when calling our 3 yo daughter in public will call her "Arrowsmith" as if she has no first name. My son is known as "Archie" which is nothing like his name (Kyle)

I'm not providing any translation on this one. My wife will call me Ga Goo from time to time.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
referred to as the "Foreigner husband".
So you HAVE a nickname  :)
  • Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Steve, we all have the same nickname...................JOE

NOT So  I am still referred to as HIM! or HE! 11 years and they have now got the message, I am a BRIT!

My nickname is kevin for some reason

• Like 2

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

Do any of you have nick names by the way?

Do "a**h*le", "Fat Ass". and "Dumb sh&t" count?  (She watches too much South Park and likes to copy their style of speech).

Lol, Dave..just be glad you're not Kenny huh?

My nephew (Coy Coy-aka Jericho)...what th? :89:  how is coy-coy short for...never mind...well he does call me "unkel" though, so I think I'm making some headway.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

My loving wife and I often times will kid with each other and poke fun in a loving way at each other :dance: . I guess it's part of how we identify each other as a couple. .

For the past 30 years, I have acquired the nickname of Pangit (ugly) and Daddy.  I just call her Babe in private.  And in public, we often times show affection for each other by holding hands while walking, a light kiss and private eye contact signals.  As for me, I'm pushed away in front of our young kids at the time, because it was too early in the morning to start humpin' her leg.  

And then she would rapid fire Manyak, hyop and bastos mixed with the P word at me.  I get no respect sometimes.......

Edited by Jake
  • Like 4

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

My wife calls me hun or gwapo and I call her po very often.

• Like 2