kalibojerry

Start A Rice And Corn Milling Business

Looking into starting a rice mill aswell. Hows it going?

Anyone know what the difference is between the smaller/cheaper mills compared to more expensive ones?
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/SB-10D-COMBINED-RICE-MILL-MACHINE_60116562275.html?spm=a2700.7724838.0.0.uBe3Of

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/No-04-full-automatic-rice-mill_60528534533.html

Second one is 5 times more expensive. Been told it makes less broken rice but not sure to what extent?

• Like 2

I didn't browse all the replies ............But as I know the 'real' money is in 1) making oans to the farmers and 2) storing the rice (until the price goes up)

having a mill makes the above viable

This is a very interesting thread.

My good lady has developed a succesful business by not only cultivating her own land but also financing neighbouring farmers to plant and harvest theirs as well on a profit share basis. 

We had been having issues with the one operator of a very old rice 'turtle' machine, used to prepare rice paddy's for planting, who was becoming increasingly unreliable. He was also quite expensive, charging her over 4,000 pesos over the course of the two growing seasons each year. This was delaying not only our planting but also several of the neighbours as he often would disappear for days or even weeks on end doing other, unrelated, work for the neighbouring Del Monte plantation.

We gave an interest free loan to the farmer who manages our farmland and purchased a brand new 'Turtle' for 30,000 pesos. He pays us back at 1,000 pesos a month so in two and a half years the loan is repaid. Our 'interest' is that he does our land for just the price of the diesel, which is around 900 pesos, so we are saving over 3000 pesos per annum which is an effective annual return of over 10%. He rents it out to other farms so it is a very profitable sideline for him. The loan is nearly repaid now but our ongoing agreement is to continue doing our land for just the price of the diesel. We are both very happy with that arrangement as he has developed a very lucrative sideline to supplement his farm income and our ongoing 'turtling' costs are greatly reduced in the future. 

2CF86B5A-DD04-4F58-8EAA-135DDA094C2E-2549-000007C594918BD2.jpeg

We also have our rice milled by a local miller whose machine is very old and often out of service. He is also well into his sixties and is considering retirement.  So it is very possible, in the forseeable future, that we could consider doing something similar with the rice milling business where we supply the financing for a new milling machine and operate on a 'cost only' basis for us running in tandem with a profit share basis which should give us both a nice income.

Ken

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Can the milled rice and corn be sold for poultry feed - even the polishings? Poultry feed costs are only getting higher so I suppose that the equipment could create a bolt-on business opportunity. poultry farming in the Philippines?

Regards.

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
Do not self promote. Link broken

3 hours ago, Big B said:

Can the milled rice and corn be sold for poultry feed - even the polishings? Poultry feed costs are only getting higher so I suppose that the equipment could create a bolt-on business opportunity. poultry farming in the Philippines?

Regards.

Although we don't have any dealings with poultry farmers, I think that would be very expensive feed. Assuming poultry can be fed rice. Our last rice harvest, a few weeks ago, we sold the milled rice for 2300/2400php per 50kg sack. Corn might be suitable but again it would be very expensive as feed.

The waste from the rice milling process we sell for pig feed at around 300-500 php per sack. 

Hi thanks for taking the time to reply - waste from rice milling can be 5-10% of a poultry feed formulation - do you know any poultry feed producers on the ground or is it mainly reliance on imports? 

21 hours ago, Big B said:

Hi thanks for taking the time to reply - waste from rice milling can be 5-10% of a poultry feed formulation - do you know any poultry feed producers on the ground or is it mainly reliance on imports? 

The only poultry farm in our area that we have dealings with, which is to purchase chicken dung, and not feed related, use a Cebu based feed producer called Universal Feed Millers, (or something similar). They distribute feed throughout the Visayas and Mindanao, I believe. 

We have never had dealings with them ourselves though.

We haven't supplied any of our rice mill waste for poultry feed, but that might be an option for us to persue in the future.  But so far all ours is bought by local pig farmers.

Edited by Huggybearman

On 1/28/2019 at 12:47 PM, Huggybearman said:

Although we don't have any dealings with poultry farmers, I think that would be very expensive feed. Assuming poultry can be fed rice. Our last rice harvest, a few weeks ago, we sold the milled rice for 2300/2400php per 50kg sack. Corn might be suitable but again it would be very expensive as feed.

The waste from the rice milling process we sell for pig feed at around 300-500 php per sack. 

Useful to know that buggy bear I was looking for ways to cut down on pig feed costs 

• Thanks 1