kalibojerry

Start A Rice And Corn Milling Business

On 6/14/2016 at 10:26 AM, kalibojerry said:

I spent a month there I would say the sales were around one thousand pesos a week

Sales or profit was about p1,000/wk? If sales was that enough to make a profit? What would you say expenses were? Sounds very interesting so far.

just have to buy the gas for the motor right know everything is new and so far no problems

12 hours ago, kalibojerry said:

just have to buy the gas for the motor right know everything is new and so far no problems

With sales at 1000 a week, at what capacity was it running then?

This one of the most interesting threads, btw. :cheersty:

32 minutes ago, MikeSwede said:

This one of the most interesting threads, btw

Agree 100% with Mike.

Jerry. Even those of us who have no plans to work or run a business as a hobby always root for the home team.  1000 pesos a week for a 1st run doesn't seem to bad. But can you put this in prospective for us?

Is your idea to actually start up a business (for lack of a better term) for the long term to leave behind maybe? Or just doing this as more of a hobby to keep busy and provide a service to your friends and neighbors that they didn't have before, where if it makes money GREAT! But if it doesn't, its no big deal.

For me, if I can wrap my brain housing group around your motivations the better prospective your fan base will have.

Keep us posted!!!!:smile:

i just wanted to try an do something for the family to make a few peso to help out with the bills and maybe buy some food for the family it blows me away what they can do with a couple of thousand pesos how far they can make it go, so for now it is a hobby it would be nice to have a small milling business for the family this is seasonal not full time so you have down time but that is ok , write now my sweethearts father is running the milling machine, what happens is that the neighbors come over to the house and have there rice milled when needed they like it this way as they do no to do a sack at a time they do what they need helps them save money also, so for right now it is a win win for everyone time will tell, you could have 1 person come over or 10 or more most of the time it is in the afternoon when they come over, my sweethearts father some time does it for some of the rice if the person has no money or is short which other places do not do that time will tell the cost for everything the machine the motor and the scale and other small things that were need to do the work was under 50 thousand pesos, so you see it was not a lot of money 

• Like 3

You touch upon one thing I was thinking before, that sometimes he charge a bit of the product rather than cash for the milling.

Was this not how it once used to be?

8 minutes ago, MikeSwede said:

You touch upon one thing I was thinking before, that sometimes he charge a bit of the product rather than cash for the milling.

Was this not how it once used to be?

Mike I would have thought Both, I can buy coffee beans at X and I can Buy coffee beans Ground at X+

Does that make sense :89: Of course if he is only Milling then he would have no rice to sell or do you mean a product % finished as a further commission to milling costs?

Edited by Jack Peterson
added a little to the post
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Mike I would have thought Both, I can buy coffee beans at X and I can Buy coffee beans Ground at X+

Does that make sense :89: Of course if he is only Milling then he would have no rice to sell or do you mean a product % finished as a further commission to milling costs?

Not a further comission, simply as thepayment. I have a vague memory that the millers kids were wellfed since the miller always had flour for bred.

But as you write, there are a number of ways to compensate the mill, I was just falling into some old tales.

• Like 1

So I've just got back to the city of Tacloban from living out in the country side in Samar and now I really want to take this rice milling venture idea more serious. I've gathered information that the locals in the area that me and my wife have land in now have to travel a town over just to get their rice milled because the owner of the one in town has recently passed away. The surprising thing is my wife went to elementary school with daughter of the man who owned the rice mill and she is planning to sell it because she wants to renovate her home and has no ambition to continue the business. The milling machine was recently purchased last year and is Japanese made. The woman is willing to give us a deal on purchasing it providing we cover the expenses of transporting it back to our land. They purchased the machine for around 160K pesos but she gave us the friendly discount of 120K pesos. I'm urging my wife to try and get the materials of the exterior of the rice mill building they have also in the deal and just rebuild it on our land as it would be really cost effective.

• Like 2

Jimmy that is a great price please keep us up to date as I find the very interesting