Uh-Oh, Now We Are In A Hurry...

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

Are the 2 little ones US citizens?  Will they be traveling on US passports?

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
Hey JKeenan, 

Have you calmed down yet?  Write down your priorities, drink a beer or two and sleep on it.  The following morning, revise your list as necessary.  I think the overall picture is you're trying to pack 20 pounds of chit in a 10 pound bag and you're forcing yourself to do that within 3 months from now (JAN 31)?  Please reconsider your departure window.  Getting all the necessary travel documents for wife and two kids can be a headache all by itself.  Not to mention about immunization and setting up large quantities of prescription meds to take with you.  

I don't know how strict US immigration at LAX is now but my wife Judy was delayed upon entry.  She was questioned why she remained in PI for nearly 6 months under her status as US permanent residence (valid green card).  She was asked, do you want to remain permanent -- then don't go outside CONUS for that long next time.  You may want to check US immigration to verify max time away from continental US. I think US passports for all family members is really the only way to eliminate any hassles coming back.  US Home Security can be paranoid sometimes. 

Yeah, relocate to a cheaper cost of living area (as Earthdome suggested) and find a more convenient departure window.  I believe public schools in PI start their summer vacation around March when it starts getting really hot.  

Good luck to you sir!

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted
There is no downside to getting the US citizenship and while your wife may not have any plans to return to the US, our friend Jake says "sometimes chit just happens".

There can be downsides to US citizenship as exhibited by those who are officially renouncing it. They are doing it because of all the IRS and financial reporting requirements for US citizens even when the have lived outside of the US for most of their lives.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)

There is no downside to getting the US citizenship and while your wife may not have any plans to return to the US, our friend Jake says "sometimes chit just happens".

There can be downsides to US citizenship as exhibited by those who are officially renouncing it. They are doing it because of all the IRS and financial reporting requirements for US citizens even when the have lived outside of the US for most of their lives.

Agree, but this is a tiny percentage of the US population and they are, for the most part, extremely wealthy and prefer not to give up any of that wealth in the form of taxes.  The number of people who attempt to enter the US, both legal and otherwise, far exceeds the number who give up citizenship and I think that says a lot about the advantage vs disadvantages.

Edited by Mike J

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Two children:  Almost 4 yrs old, registered as PI birth abroad with embassy, and 6 months old, not registered as PI birth abroad yet.  No passports or travel docs for kids.

Just a thought, if you are going to be taking them in and out of the Philippines on annual vacations then they should get US passports and travel with the family as returning Balikbayans (one year free entry and no travel tax when they leave with you)

But if they will be staying in Philippines when you and the wife leave on your annual vacation then they should enter on Philippine passports (stay forever with no visa fees to pay but then need to pay travel tax when and if they leave the country.

So you have lots to consider, unless money is no problem in which case you can do it either way with no problems.

• Like 1

gusincebu
Posted
Posted

As a non-USA person , far be it from me to get involved in this topic ( but here goes :) ) ..

Would it be possible for you and your wife to travel to Guam annually , to fulfill Green Card and Balikbayan obligations ?

william_c
Posted
Posted

I would contact your Senator and see if that person can expedite the citizenship documents. Tell their office your situation and time frame. Get busy, the form was about 12 pages when I filled it out many years ago plus supporting documents.

Agree, Balikbayon stamp upon arrival, requested by the wife in front of you and the kids, is free and good for a year with plenty of time to settle in. Guam will likely be the least expensive trip, next year, to renew the Balik stamps unless you go 13A.

LBC does a great job of shipping boxes. They hold them in a local PI warehouse until delivery is requested. About $85/box, box is free, and weight is not a factor. They operate out of Norfolk Va and West Coast and a local box supplier, agent, delivers your boxes to the coast for "free". Expect to loose some of the fragile stuff even when well bubble wrapped. Boxes can be tracked online. Door to door is about 2-3 months.

Lots of expats in Dumagete near tip of south Cebu.

Best wishes on your move.

chris49
Posted
Posted
I would contact your Senator and see if that person can expedite the citizenship documents

Excellent, best suggestion so far, congressman, I think, rather than senator.

Hong Kong over Guam, but that's later. In fact on a one year Balikbayan with extensions, you should get the 13a by that time.

Keenan, back to you again. They don't ask FBI clearance here, for 13a application, as far as I know.

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted
They don't ask FBI clearance here, for 13a application, as far as I know.
That is correct. Except.......You must be in country at least 6 months. I suggest you go at the 7 month mark. This way, you won't get snubbed by a bureaucrat by their own interpretations.
  • Like 1

jkeenan213
Posted
Posted

Paperwork for wife's US citizenship sent priority mail yesterday, reaching out to our Congressman now.  Applications for two kids US passports also submitted yesterday at local county office.

Been using Atlas for Balikbayan boxes, sent two, two more ready.  About the same, $90 and boxes no cost, we've had good experience with them in the past.  They have a station near here, so pick up inside the house and deliver to pretty far provinces, Bohol, actually bring it inside there too.  They will hold, very flexible.