Bullet Scam Angered Philippine Legislators

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

You folks are taking this bullet planting too lightly. This so called scam is an act of terrorism. Planting contraband in the luggage of travelers is bad enough as it is. But ammunition? I strongly suggest you contact your own country's government representative be it a senator or congressman in the US or whatever they are called in other countries and file a complain to bring this matter to the attention of the leaders in the Philippines. It must STOP!!!

This act of terrorism is one scary sh&t. There has been more than 3300 cases over approx 12 mos. Its been going on bc Philippine authorities have not addressed it mainly bc no one with any clout has brought it to their attention. The morons at the airport have found it to be a lucrative modus operandi. Since none of them have had their limbs chopped off for their infractions why would they stop. Another avenue is to spread this BS in the internet and in social media and hit them where it hurts - Tourism. If there is a drastic reduction in tourists I am sure they will take notice.

Who in their right mind would visit such a country when upon arrival you are subjected this act of terrorism. Not to mention what you will experience when in the country.

Fortunately, the international media is starting to notice. The BBC, Yahoo US and Rappler recently wrote an article on it on behalf of the OFWs. But the pressure should be kept up. I believe it is everyone's responsibility to bring this matter to light. You cannot rely on local authorities to address this matter.

I agree with this post entirely and would like to add that as more than one allegation has been made the authorities should have somebody at the airport to come down hard on these people should they be caught in the act. This is no time for the all too familiar burying there heads in the sand and ignoring the situation.The people who are responsible for committing this despicable  crime should receive very long prison terms.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

The people who are responsible for committing this despicable  crime should receive very long prison terms.

Apparently, the term is Life on Conviction but it will be the Conviction that  that will be the Problem  :unsure:

Jack :tiphat:

Morning All post-2148-0-81860200-1446258137.gif

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

The people who are responsible for committing this despicable  crime should receive very long prison terms.

Apparently, the term is Life on Conviction but it will be the Conviction that  that will be the Problem  :unsure:

Jack :tiphat:

Morning All attachicon.gifCoffee.gif

Yes I hear you Jack it will probably take 12 years to get a conviction the way the justice system works here.

• Like 1

gaga4
Posted
Posted

All I know is if the late Ferdinand Marcos was around the culprits would have been caught and executed already.

Correction: This would never have happened because they would not have dared.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago backed yesterday calls to hold an  inquiry into allegations of “bullet-planting” on departing and arriving overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport.

These allegations show that corruption defeats the purpose of law enforcement, she said.

“Finally, they underline inaction on the part of government,” she  said.

They also raise a legitimate question on the implementation of the law on the illegal possession of ammunition, she added.

Santiago has filed Senate Resolution No. 1635 following reports that airport security personnel are involved in extortion activities of planting bullets in the luggage of passengers, who are   asked to pay a huge amount of cash to avoid a lawsuit.

Senators Ferdinand Marcos Jr., Cynthia Villar, Ralph Recto, Nancy Binay, and Alan Cayetano also have raised concerns on the alleged extortion activities at NAIA.

The media have so far reported six cases using the modus operandi.

The latest victims are Gloria Ortinez, an OFW bound for Hong Kong, and Japanese national Kazunobu Sakamoto, who were both arrested on Oct. 25.

Only Sakamoto was able to post bail of P80,000.

“The perpetrators of the alleged scam are brazen, perhaps because they know they will not be punished,” Santiago said in response to the signature campaign on online petition platform Change.org. “We must prove them wrong.”

The petition was launched by Ednalyn Purugganan, an OFW in Hong Kong.

Santiago condemned the extortionists for targeting OFWs, who see the airport as their connection to home.

“Wrongly accusing OFWs of a crime and forcing them to pay huge amounts of cash is not the way to repay those whom we call our modern-day heroes,” she   said.

Complaints desk

Senate President Pro-Tempore Recto urged the administration to create a one-stop “presidential action and complaint desk” to act on complaints from travelers, including OFWs.

“It can also serve as a place where travellers can lodge complaints for bad service and recommend commendations for good one,” he said.

The idea is to pool together all agencies which have something to do with OFWs and travel,  Recto said. “You can call that a mini-national government center at NAIA,” he said.   

The desk will be part of an existing Malacañang office known as the Presidential Action Center (PACE), Recto said.

It is a frontline team that bridges and ensures delivery of services to the general public, he added.

--

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted
The Hospital scam when you go in because the little woman says so after you get a nasty cut and the staff say you will need a blood test, a urine test,and Xray etc etc ! you have got to learn the one magic word " NO ! "

Not sure about the UK but in the US that is normal procedure to have those tests done to insure there are not any underlaying problems if you go to a hospital emergency room for treatment it is not only for your own good but also the hospital staff .....  :tiphat: 

:cheersty:

gaga4
Posted
Posted

Jack, the action of the legislators is all nice and good - IF something comes about it. I'm not going to criticize it. But as some have alluded to already the judicial system there is pathetic and laughable. 

What I do not comprehend is why are the many police agencies not the ones cracking down on this for immediate action??? Agencies like the PNP and the NBI. Why are the legislators even involved???  This will be one of those that we will have to see to believe.

I say it again - this modus operandi of planting bullets in traveler's luggage creates an environment of fear in the airport. It is terrorizing all travelers!!! It is an act of terrorism and the people responsible should be considered terrorist and be dealt with accordingly.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
What I do not comprehend is why are the many police agencies not the ones cracking down on this for immediate action???

I hear your frustration Gaga. I did a little research and read the law that covers this.

To put it into context I equate it to the "Mandatory minimum sentence laws" we have in the states. Where regardless of the circumstances of the case a Judge MUST give out a certain sentence, he has no discretion.

The way the "bullet law" is written it makes no difference is 1 .22 caliber bullet is found or a suitcase full of 5.56 ammo in banana clips. If ammo is found an arrest is going to be made, period, end of story. The law does not allow for discretion upon the part of baggage screener, customs inspector or any of the supervisors. They find, they arrest and let the courts sort it out.

So the way things are now just invites the scam. A dishonest screener can play on the fears of travelers.

Why are the legislators even involved???

If the legislators amend the law to a point that would give "investigators" at the airport to make a determination if a single rusty .22 caliber bullet found on a 55 year old OFW who has already passed through screening at a regional airport posses no credible threat the bullet is thrown away and the lady goes on her way.

This is what happens in the states, even after the craziness of 9-11. My wife was a TSA screener. Many times they would fine a bullet or a casing in luggage (usually military or law enforcement folks) but sometimes normal passengers also. They would pull the passenger out of line and call the Harbor police. The police would show up, investigate the passenger, usually find that an "honest" mistake was made. Confiscate the bullet and the passenger would be sent on their way. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
this modus operandi of planting bullets in traveler's luggage creates an environment of fear in the airport. It is terrorizing all travelers!!!

Methinks you are taking this way too seriously.  Its an obvious scam and I have only heard of them asking 500 pesos to 'let you off with a warning'.  VERY mild by Philippine standards, IMHO.

You are the first and only person I have ever heard or read about who seems to feel an 'environment of fear' from this scam.  Thus my suggestion that you are taking it too seriously.  Now the Ampuatuan massacre, THAT should create an environment of fear, and yet nothing happens in that case and we spend our time worrying about a .22 bullet planted in a bag for corruption reasons?  Where is our sense of scale?

• Like 2

gaga4
Posted
Posted

I appreciate your explanation.

Assuming the authorities know this my only response is that they are obviously using it to suit their purposes. But no matter how you slice and dice it there is no question that the bullets are planted.

Yes it is a scam but it is one that is of a terroristic level. Therefore the perpetrators are considered terrorists. This matter must be brought to light by everyone. Do your part.

• Like 1