Bullet Scam Angered Philippine Legislators

gaga4
Posted
Posted

An article in the Philippine Daily Star about Manny Pacquiao offering to fund lawyers to assist anyone unfortunate enough to get caught up in this scam. Although primarily aimed at OFW's it might be worth storing this number on your phone. Such legal representation may not be free to ex-pats but at least it would be a point of contact for knowledgable advice in what could be very difficult circumstances.

http://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/national/pacman-offers-lawyers-for-%E2%80%98bullet%E2%80%99-victims/ar-BBmFpTQ?li=AAb280R

Ken

Instead of providing lawyers he should make a statement for this act of terrorism to STOP!!!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Get an Offending Officer/Operatives into Court, get the Sentence prescribed by Law, handed down. LIFE is the sentence according to the Latest Articles. Could just do the trick and make them think twice. But......................................post-2148-0-44711600-1446423099.gif

Jack :thumbsup:

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Duterte says syndicate is behind 'tanim bala' extortion scheme

rodrigo_duterte.jpg

By Ben O. Tesiorna, for CNN Philippines
Updated 12:51 PM PHT Sun, November 1, 2015

Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte
Davao City (CNN Philippines) — Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte has said that a syndicate is behind the series of incidents of passengers caught in the airport for alleged illegal possession of ammunition or the "laglag bala [dropping bullet into a bag] or tanim bala [planting bullet into a bag]" extortion scheme.

Duterte said during his weekly television program "Gikan sa Masa, Para sa Masa" on Sunday (November 1), the growing number of incidents of ammunition found inside the luggage of passengers is already impossible to believe, but he added that it has been going on for the past two to three years.

"I suspect that the very moment they [victims] entered NAIA, right at the cargo hold, the bullets are already planted. Those who can enter that area are only the airline employees and the police. So there is really a syndicate working inside and outside the airport," Duterte said.

He added that last Friday's incident at the Davao International Airport, where two 9mm bullets were discovered inside the luggage of Engr. Augusto Dagan, must be investigated thoroughly.

The mayor called on the City Prosecutors Office to look into the charges filed against the engineer, who traveled to Davao City to have an ocular inspection at the ongoing project of the Davao City Water District.

A police report stated that the bullets were discovered by security screening officer Arell Mark Villareal at the initial screening checkpoint of the Davao International Airport around 9:40 a.m. Friday.

It was learned that Dagan has posted bail of P150,000 thus he was released thereafter and was able to fly back to Manila on the same day. He was charged for violation of PD 1866 or illegal possession of ammunition.

So far, six cases using the modus operandi had been reported in the media wherein victims were asked to pay huge amounts to avoid criminal charges.

Duterte warned all airport personnel — be it in Davao or Manila — to stop planting bullets in the luggage of passengers. He said that he will not think twice in ordering a member of the syndicate to swallow the planted bullet right in front of their victims.

"If I am the president, I will order you to swallow that bullet," he said.

Related: Santiago, Cayetano call for probe of reported 'tanim bala' scam

Duterte also called on Pres. Benigno Aquino III to address the nation on the issue so that it would put an end to illegal activity.

Palace's response to the alleged 'tanim bala'
Presidential Communications Secretary Herminio "Sonny" Coloma Jr., meanwhile, said that authorities were looking into the matter even if the reported planting of bullets incidents were isolated cases.

"Kailangan din nating ilagay sa tamang konteksto. Libu-libo ang gumagamit ng paliparan at iilan lang naman 'yung mga nakitaan ng ganitong mga — nakitaan ng bala... Sa kabila 'non ay iniimbestiga at sinisiyasat ang mga pangyayaring ito," Coloma said.

[Translation: "Let's put this in proper context. Thousands of passengers pass through our airports and those who were found with bullets were just a few people... But still, we are investigating the matter."]

http://cnnphilippines.com/news/2015/11/01/Davao-Mayor-Rodrigo-Rody-Duterte-tanim-bala-laglag-bala-airport-extortion-modus.html

• Like 4

Mike S
Posted
Posted
"Let's put this in proper context. Thousands of passengers pass through our airports and those who were found with bullets were just a few people...

That they know of ...... and I might add a typical response to let you know they have no intension of solving the problem but just going to ignore it and hope it goes away ...... how many have just paid and never bothered to report it in the past ..... especially foreigners .... rather than plant them on people coming into the country they should be planting them on people leaving the country ..... they are much more apt to just pay up and get the hell out of the country ..... JMHO .....

If Manny is s concerned why doesn't he just draft a bill .... last time I checked he was a member of the house .... or maybe he forgot that seeing as he very seldom shows up for sessions ..... with all his sports related activities I don't see how he has time ..... and now he wants to run for senator ...... :mocking: :mocking:

:cheersty: 

• Like 4

gaga4
Posted
Posted

So what is the palace trying to say when referring to this as isolated cases? This has happened more than 3300 times already. An isolated case is when it happened once or twice.

This syndicate should be considered terrorists. The thousands that they are referring to who are leaving and arriving at the airport are being terrorized. These people have created an environment of fear. They have also embarrassed the Philippines to the entire world. And it does not appear well for the authorities for not having done anything about it.

• Like 2

gaga4
Posted
Posted

"Let's put this in proper context. Thousands of passengers pass through our airports and those who were found with bullets were just a few people...

That they know of ...... and I might add a typical response to let you know they have no intension of solving the problem but just going to ignore it and hope it goes away ...... how many have just paid and never bothered to report it in the past ..... especially foreigners .... rather than plant them on people coming into the country they should be planting them on people leaving the country ..... they are much more apt to just pay up and get the hell out of the country ..... JMHO .....

If Manny is s concerned why doesn't he just draft a bill .... last time I checked he was a member of the house .... or maybe he forgot that seeing as he very seldom shows up for sessions ..... with all his sports related activities I don't see how he has time ..... and now he wants to run for senator ...... :mocking: :mocking:

Absolutely right Mike. Its really idiotic for Pacquiao to offer legal services for the victims when he can easily make a statement for this to stop.

• Like 1

gaga4
Posted
Posted

This terroristic act will have long term adverse consequences to not only tourism in the Philippines but also international investments to the country. It is just starting to get exposed worldwide. This will not be one that they can sweep under the rug and make people forget. Its a total fk up bull$hit scam that is hard to comprehend why anyone would even do.

And knowing how $hit like this is addressed in the Philippines there will be no guarantee that it will not come back assuming they can even make it go away.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

The Hospital scam when you go in because the little woman says so after you get a nasty cut and the staff say you will need a blood test, a urine test,and Xray etc etc ! you have got to learn the one magic word " NO ! "

Not sure about the UK but in the US that is normal procedure to have those tests done to insure there are not any underlaying problems if you go to a hospital emergency room for treatment it is not only for your own good but also the hospital staff .....  :tiphat:

Often extra tests are only done to protect the hospital and staff from lawsuits and most people don't complain about the extra costs because they have insurance.

gaga4
Posted
Posted

I just spoke to the offices of my 2 senators in my state. Apparently, they had received some recent calls from their constituents within the last 2 weeks asking them to do something about this. They said they are communicating with the US Dept of State to look in to the matter. My next call is to my US Congress rep.

• Like 2