Traffic Enforcers Don't Know Their Own Traffic Laws

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Has anyone found that the traffic enforcers don't know their own traffic laws?

I was in Bantayan last month driving around on my motorbike as I do with me girl. We get pulled over for a "routine traffic stop"...me things we drew attention to ourselves as we were both wearing helmets, and 90% of other motorbikes wear no helmets...but that is another story.

Anyways...the traffic enforcer asks to see my licence, to which I dutifully handed it over. He says, "this is Australian licence."...I say, "it certainly is, you are correct."...He says you need Philippines drivers licence. We then had a short argument, to which he said he would let me off with a warning for a fine of 500peso. This is even after I explained the law to him, that I could drive on this license for 90 days after my arrival in his country. He still insisted on the 500peso fine.

I then said, just let me make a phone call. I called the mayor....lol...explained my situation...handed the phone to the traffic enforcer....and within....60 seconds we were on our way after lots of, " Sorrys" from the traffic enforcer. Why is it, it is always who you know in this country...haha.

On a side note, this particular traffic enforcer I always saw him directing traffic at the big circle round about in central Bantayan. After this little misunderstanding, I did not see him at his post there anymore :)

• Like 5

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

They know the laws they just try to extort money from people. My friend turned left at the traffic lights and a traffic enforcer puled him over and tried to get money from him, my friend pointed at the arrow and then took a photo of the arrow with some of the surrounding buildings in the shot.The enforcer was arguing that he still had to pay a fine. As my friend has a business here and has been coming to the phills for over 30 years he said fine we go to the station and sort it.The enforcer said no need I just warn you this time.He was Just trying to extort money happens all the time not just here but in many countries.

• Like 4

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

They know the laws they just try to extort money from people. My friend turned left at the traffic lights and a traffic enforcer puled him over and tried to get money from him, my friend pointed at the arrow and then took a photo of the arrow with some of the surrounding buildings in the shot.The enforcer was arguing that he still had to pay a fine. As my friend has a business here and has been coming to the phills for over 30 years he said fine we go to the station and sort it.The enforcer said no need I just warn you this time.He was Just trying to extort money happens all the time not just here but in many countries.

I would have grabbed him and said "We are both going to the station anyways." Watch him shake. He knows he's caught.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I would have grabbed him and said "We are both going to the station anyways." Watch him shake. He knows he's caught.

Sometimes Steve it`s best to let things go otherwise you might  open up a huge can of worms.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

On a side note, this particular traffic enforcer I always saw him directing traffic at the big circle round about in central Bantayan. After this little misunderstanding, I did not see him at his post there anymore  :)

No misunderstanding at all.  The traffic enforcer was re-assigned because his supervisor was pissed, unable to collect the full donations from his minions.  Also, even if you gave them donations, it does not necessarily mean your violation was NOT entered in the system.  You may find you have an outstanding ticket after all.  

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Why is it, it is always who you know in this country

Probably a rhetorical question, MM, but one that all new members should make a note of.  It always helps, in Philippines, to make sure you get to know someone who can help in a tight spot.

• Like 4

william_c
Posted
Posted

Uh, well, US Foreign Assistance to the Philippines last year was 144.7 million dollars. Hayans massive US aid likely overshadows that ammount.

I would think your local Embassy representatives, for any of us, would want to hear about your scams. A loss of foreign aid would really be painful and an incentive to curb that sort of behavior?

Dats all.

DavidK
Posted
Posted

I've always thought they made them up as they went along. The equivalent of being arrested for "Wearing a loud shirt in a built up area".

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Uh, well, US Foreign Assistance to the Philippines last year was 144.7 million dollars. Hayans massive US aid likely overshadows that ammount.

I would think your local Embassy representatives, for any of us, would want to hear about your scams. A loss of foreign aid would really be painful and an incentive to curb that sort of behavior?

Dats all.

From all the anecdotal reports I have heard the US embassy will not get involved at all in little things like this. At the most they will let you make a phone call to family in the US if you show up destitute at the embassy entrance. Do not expect much help from the US embassy.. that way you won't plan on their help or be disappointed when they don't give you any. That is with all things dealing with problems you have in the Philippines unrelated to the normal day to day services the US embassy provides.

• Like 4

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Has anyone found that the traffic enforcers don't know their own traffic laws?

I was in Bantayan last month driving around on my motorbike as I do with me girl. We get pulled over for a "routine traffic stop"...me things we drew attention to ourselves as we were both wearing helmets, and 90% of other motorbikes wear no helmets...but that is another story.

Anyways...the traffic enforcer asks to see my licence, to which I dutifully handed it over. He says, "this is Australian licence."...I say, "it certainly is, you are correct."...He says you need Philippines drivers licence. We then had a short argument, to which he said he would let me off with a warning for a fine of 500peso. This is even after I explained the law to him, that I could drive on this license for 90 days after my arrival in his country. He still insisted on the 500peso fine.

I then said, just let me make a phone call. I called the mayor....lol...explained my situation...handed the phone to the traffic enforcer....and within....60 seconds we were on our way after lots of, " Sorrys" from the traffic enforcer. Why is it, it is always who you know in this country...haha.

On a side note, this particular traffic enforcer I always saw him directing traffic at the big circle round about in central Bantayan. After this little misunderstanding, I did not see him at his post there anymore :)

our mayor married us back in 2002 he is one of those that wont stand any nonsense ! he would have sacked the whole traffic force !

• Like 1