Will The Philippines Fulfill My Wheel Of Happiness?

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

NOt sure that I totally agree with this post.  What about the person (such as myself) is a non believer, are you suggesting that I 

can never be happy.  Without getting into a religious debate - that is a nonsense.

I don't have a lot of money but enough to have a good life here (Thailand currently) because cost of living is much less ie. I am an economic expat.

I have very average health, with back issues, plus aged stuff we all get ie. diabetes (mild), high blood pressure etc.

I have a great woman to look after me and could not be happier there.

Am I happy, basically yes, would I be here if I did have a lot more money?  No, I would be back in my home country living in a 

nice house or unit, overlooking the water, knowing my future was secure!

I totally agree with Mogo on this , I myself am a non Believer, which does upset a few here when they ask me why I just say

two words " Hitler and Yolanda " but aside from that you cant judge the Philippines or its lovely woman by the odd bad one.

Every country has bad woman that is life ! and yes the Filipino woman is always family 1st ! you just have to find one ( like mine ) that includes you in her family ! And her family accept you into the family as well !!

And yes my wife goes to church and yes as her Husband I go with her ! Because I lover her !

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Life is a balance.  When you are in a state of balance, you are fulfilled in the four main areas of (1) Health, (2) Money, (3) Relationships and (4) Faith –– each area representing a section of a wheel, a well-rounded wheel rolling through life with a smile.  Neglect any one area, then you are like a wheel that has a flat, struggling to roll – stagnant and stuck – you will have a sense that something is missing… a sense of un-fulfillment…

There are areas in life that one naturally excels, and areas that requires more effort, or even neglected…

That is why I have elected to move to the Philippines once I secure my retirement here in the US.  I have excelled in all the areas mentioned above, except in the area of Relationships (my tire has a flat) - I am hoping that moving to the Philippines would be the cure.  Especially with the family oriented culture there.

Although I am currently very content with the other areas of my life, my biggest concern is that I have heard on many forums and websites that the Philippines is not the answer to your happiness if you are not fulfilled where you came from. 

I would like to hear some opinions if this applies to my situation…

Hello Bows,

I strongly believe your master plan is solid, well thought out but uncertain about it being well executed in the Philippines.  You have already heard about the pros and cons, there are always new issues popping up around this forum and that's a good thing.

Many of us have described parts of that wheel of balance will get out of balance sometimes, either overblown or becoming a flat (broken relationship).  The questions in our minds a long time ago, should I take a chance or the risk and try to improve on our mistakes.  We older folks have been on the planet longer and therefore have made many more mistakes than you Bows.  

Question remains -- are you willing to take the opportunity, the challenge and sometimes the agony of defect?  Like a good Marine, their motto is improvise, adapt and overcome -- over and over again.  Afterall, that is what life is all about.  A journey with speed bumps, suspicious forks in the road and sometimes a rainbow at your final destination(s).  

I strongly suspect that you will meet the woman of your dreams and more importantly, the fulfillment of her dreams as well.  In that case, you would not care if your wheel is lopsided.....he, he.  You may be dead broke but a smile in your heart is priceless.  

Respectfully -- Jake

Edited by Jake
  • Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted

I strongly suspect that you will meet the woman of your dreams

Thanks for all the encouraging words, but I guess everyone assumes that I am only looking for a girlfriend or wife, but just as important are good friends and family. As far as relationships go, my tire is extremely flat here in the US. BTW, the only true relationship I currently have is my marriage... TO MY STINKIN JOB!!

• Like 1

gaga4
Posted
Posted (edited)

I am sorry but coming from a different viewpoint, I have to ask what you are really looking for. No offense to other members but unless you have some social challenges/deficiencies where you are residing the Philippines is not exactly where I would be going to find happiness. The present scam of planting bullets on traveler's luggage in the airport is enough to discourage me from even going there. And I have ties there. This is not just a scam. It is an act of terrorism and represents the desperation of the people. It must STOP!!!

I know too many Americans who married Pinays and ended up broke because their wives cleaned them out. There are exceptions of course since there are also good people out there.

Edited by gaga4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
This is not just a scam. It is an act of terrorism and represents the desperation of the people. It must STOP!!!
I would change the word desperation for greed.Working at the airport is a good job and they should appreciate this and be honest. As for moving here I see no problem with that and I would say to anybody to get out of the rat race as soon as possible.Enjoy what life you have left while you are still able.
  • Like 3

gaga4
Posted
Posted

Thats fine Jack.

Right now I am just overly disgusted with this BS of planting bullets in the airport. These people have created an environment of fear at the entry and exit point of the country. They have absolutely no accountability. Every traveler is subjected to dangerous game of Russian roulette.

I encourage you all to contact your embassies and foreign affairs representatives of your countries and protest this act of terrorism being perpetrated on all of us.

• Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted
As for moving here I see no problem with that and I would say to anybody to get out of the rat race as soon as possible.Enjoy what life you have left while you are still able

Thank you Sonjack.  I feel the same.  I often find myself speaking to myself saying "Common!  Start living!".  Wouldn't most of you out there agree that out of all the areas that I have mentioned, well other than (1) Health.. that Relationships is the second most important in your lives?  Someone to Love... Friends to hang out with and share your life with... Family to take precious care of....

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted
(4) Faith

I have been involved in a few different religions and would be a non believer if pushed to give an opinion or neutral.

That's doesn't give me the right to question another persons faith.  I like  a partner who can debate the topic in a rational way, but fact is we need the services of the local priest here. Better to stay on the good side. I find the younger ones to be more enlightened and I don't mind having a chat with them. As I do to the various missionaries who roam the area. I don't mind hearing about their mission and why they chose to do that, kids from USA, Canada, Australia, NZ, the Philippines.

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Although I am currently very content with the other areas of my life, my biggest concern is that I have heard on many forums and websites that the Philippines is not the answer to your happiness if you are not fulfilled where you came from. 

I would like to hear some opinions if this applies to my situation…

I don't understand that concept....if one was fulfilled in all areas, why would they even consider moving elsewhere?

Everyone that moves abroad is missing something in their lives, and most of us here were missing the same component as you.  Nothing wrong at all with looking elsewhere for something you cannot find in your own country.  But if a guy is a dysfunctional mess and socially retarded, he's going to have the same problems here in the Philippines, and maybe even more problems.  I believe that's the point that some expats are trying to present in the statement I quoted.

Chris brings up a good point, also, about dating or marrying women that are way out of your league.  Yeah, an average (or less) guy can get himself a model-quality wife or gf here, but it doesn't mean he should.  It's going to cost you a lot more in family assistance, and she will likely be more problematic.  And then there's the question of legitimacy and fidelity.  It all depends on what type of relationship you want, and there is something for everyone here.  Sure you will find exactly what you are looking for   :thumbsup:

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted
But if a guy is a dysfunctional mess and socially retarded, he's going to have the same problems here in the Philippines, and maybe even more problems

But even then, this guy will still be dating here in the Philippines.