Observations From Living 5 Months In The Philippines

BobP
Posted
Posted

Loved your post Ron.   :lol:

Before I forget, could someone tell me how to enter a new topic?  I looked everywhere and could not figure it out.  Guess I was in the back of the line when God passed out gray matter.   :(

I wanted to enter this topic as "Reasons to live in the Philippines."

I have seen everyone's comments on some of the challenges living in the PI.  Yet, it seems with all of these hurdles, everyone I see has chosen to remain and live there.

What makes you stay?  My only reason to come over would be to meet my dreamgirl/woman.  And she would be my only reason for going to the PI.  I live in Atlanta, GA area where the weather is beautiful and I don't have the challenges that you find in many 3rd world countries.

So what makes you guys stay in the PI?  Your reason could be many things or feelings.

Since it is 12 midnight in the PI, I will wish you a good night and look forward to reading your comments.

Cheers!

Bob

:cheersty:

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Before I forget, could someone tell me how to enter a new topic? I looked everywhere and could not figure it out.
Go to the SUBsection overview of topics belonging to what you want to put it in. There is a black "Start New Topic" button in the upper right.
  • Like 1

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

These are just a few of my observations from being boots on the ground in the Philippines for 5 months. Let me caveat this by saying I live in Caloocan City. A very busy and populated suburb of Metro Manila. This is an attempt to be humorous on some of the things I have observed. In no way am I meaning to slander my gracious hosts. I like it here. Anyway here goes:

- I've never seen so many, with so little, so happy.

- If you smile, they will smile back. Just be careful who you smile at when Asawa is around.

- A white haired, white skinned Kano, sitting on the porch, is a never ending source of curiosity and amusement for the   neighborhood kids.

- Filipinos are hard workers. A quote from my nephew (a Filipino) "Filipinos are hard workers because even the simplest job they will find a way to make it hard" I couldn't agree with him more.

- Shopping at the mall. Why deal with only one sales person when you can have ten or fifteen?

- "No stock sir" is a polite way of saying "I don't have a friggin clue what your talking about"

- Traffic in Manila sucks. Big time.

- It takes a long time to get anywhere. Even by plane. Mainly because it takes 4hrs to get to the airport. Unless you go at 3 AM in the morning.

- You can tell who is in your house by the slippers at your stoop.

- It's HOT. But I'm slowly getting used to it.

- The water is COLD and I'm not getting used to that. Talk about shrinkage!

- Install an aircon and set it at 21C. No more relatives in your house! Trust me it works.

- There is a certain humor and irony in telling your sister-in-law that her aso is sick.

- No, the dog doesn't speak English either.

- 6ft 200lb Filipinos are not that uncommon. Neither are 5ft 95lb Filipinas.

- Since when did boiled pork fat and skin become good eating?

- It is difficult to tell by looking at it, what part of the chicken that piece of JollyBee Chicken Joy is.

- One crumb = one hundred ants.

- Only in the Philippines. "Let's go to McDonald's for fried chicken and spaghetti."

- A Big Mac, fries and a coke tastes the same as in the U.S. KFC doesn't. Haven't tried Burger King yet.

- WHAT? I can't hear you! The music, videoke, jeepney, motorcycle, trike, barking dog are too loud!

- A trike can hold 7 to 8 adults or 10 to 12 school kids w/backpacks. Even more if you unstrap the refrigerator from the top.

- No matter how full, a jeepney can always hold more.

- It is best to hide while your Asawa is negotiating taxi fare. Or anything else for that matter.

- I've driven everything from a go-cart to an 18 wheeler. I will not drive here in Manila. I'm afraid. I'm deathly afraid.

Anyways, I hope I brought a smile to someone's face. Please add your own lessons learned. I will update as my experiences broaden.

Eez more pun in the Pilippines!

Ron.

Funny stuff :)

RonHenk
Posted
Posted

Hahahaha love it mate, my longest stay has only ever been 3 months.  With your permission I'm gonna quote this on fb :)

Hi Brett, feel free to quote any and all that you like. Many of these observations have been commented on before by other members of this forum. I left out a couple for fear of censorship by management. I'll add them here and cross my fingers.

- Fish balls are BIG! Who'd of thought? But they're not as tasty as Rocky Mountain Oysters.

- Filipinos love their cocks. They put them on display in front of their house. They love them, pet and stroke them and bathe them several times a day. But they only take them out in public on Sundays.

Ron

• Like 2

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

Great post & definitely something all guys living over here can relate to and have a bloody good laugh about also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josef-01
Posted
Posted

Gr8 post Ron. I'm here only 3 months but I learned a lot, seeing my experience exactly the same.

Anyway I observed that here is very important to learn how to say NO. I'm tired when ppl try to take a benefit of me, coz I'm a white guy.

Yesterday it get over my border. We went to haircut our daughter hair and I told to my wife, just a haircut.

But because I was visible waiting outside in the mall so they didn't follow our wish and they add an extra services that we didn't order. I noticed that something else is going on, so I ask my wife what she told them to do. She said a haircut only. Ok I'm done, so I went inside and asked them what they r doing. The lady said it's a hair treatment. What? I started to be irritated coz we didn't order it. So I told them straight I not gonna pay something I didn't order and I didn't. The crew was in tears coz she probably have to pay 4 it, but what. It's not even about the money, but how ppl here try to cheat us once they see a white guy.

Sent from Huawei P8 lite using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Ok I'm done, so I went inside and asked them what they r doing.

Can I ask Why you stayed outside? usually Hairdressers have a Noted Pricing so it is a price for all

I can Understand a Long Nose waiting outside if there is haggling to be done but not for this.

Just me But..........

Jack :)

but how ppl here try to cheat us once they see a white guy.

Josef, can I ask Please. If you a White Guy ( Your Words) why are you Flying the Phil Flag?

Josef-01
Posted
Posted

Ok I'm done, so I went inside and asked them what they r doing.

Can I ask Why you stayed outside? usually Hairdressers have a Noted Pricing so it is a price for all

I can Understand a Long Nose waiting outside if there is haggling to be done but not for this.

Just me But..........

but how ppl here try to cheat us once they see a white guy.

Josef, can I ask Please. If you a White Guy ( Your Words) why are you Flying the Phil Flag?

Jack, it was the Mall inside. The room where they do operate was a bit small to me LOL. Really.

BTW it's not a PHP flag, it's the CZECH and they do look very simile, just different position of colors.

Sent from Huawei P8 lite using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Jack, it was the Mall inside. The room where they do operate was a bit small to me LOL. Really. BTW it's not a PHP flag, it's the CZECH and they do look very simile, just different position of colors. Sent from Huawei P8 lite using Tapatalk

OK! Thank You my friend, all Understood  :thumbsup: