Cost Of Running A 3 Hp Inverter Type Air Conditioning.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, florin1106 said:

In order to do that you need to know First the Wattage of your unit.. Usually the label is on the side on the Inverter not on the motor..

Yes, but with inverter units, the watts are actually a range, are they not?  Some manufacturers list a range and a fixed number, some list one or the other.

florin1106
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, but with inverter units, the watts are actually a range, are they not?  Some manufacturers list a range and a fixed number, some list one or the other.

If there is a Range there then go with an Average Wattage..As far as I know most appliances list the Watts..Fans, Ranges, Microwave, Water Kettles, Coffee machines, Drills, Saws, TV's etc 

I have an Inverter Unit, AC, Samsung, at 1780 Watts. My friend and neighbor has a similar one at 1500 Watts. Hope it helps.. 

Take care

Chuck 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

We had the two 2.5 Carrier inverter units installed last Thursday and they work very well, but it is going to take a few months to tune the configuration to minimize electricity use.  I have a lot of experimenting to do and I will have to log my tests to see what is the best mode. 

I can run just the one in the front of the house (sala) and it cools the entire 86 sq meter area, but the coolest is the sala.  I get a bit warm in the kitchen and dining room in that mode, but my wife and others do not.  However, I don't know how much juice it is using in that mode and I assume it is running hard.

If I have both on, (sala and dining room) in theory they should both run easier to cool the entire area.  In this mode at mealtimes, my wife complains the food gets cold fast as the air is blowing right in the dining table area, so we have been turning it off at mealtimes.

My front and rear doors have large gaps underneath and that certainly does not help.  I will look for some short term solutions and longer term I will replace both of those doors with more modern doors with a good seal all around.

Our master bedroom is quite large at about 33 sqm and the previous owner installed a Kolin 1.5 hp inverter unit there.  So far I like the Kolin a lot as it is super quiet and does not blow real hard, but it cools in a nice mild mannered way.

At night I shut off the Carriers and we keep the hall door closed, so the bedroom area is isolated.  We leave our bedroom door open and our daughter's bedroom door open, and the Kolin keeps the master, hall and our daughter's bedroom comfortable.  We shut everything off in the morning until it starts to warm up.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

However, I don't know how much juice it is using in that mode and I assume it is running hard.

Perhaps you can just track usage on the electric meter since aircon will be using most of the electric. 

Either that or find a friendly electrician with a clamp on amp meter.

Edited by earthdome
  • Like 1

ITGeek
Posted
Posted

I bought two 2.5 hp Carrier Gold Xpress split units, one for living room and other for master bedroom.  They cost me 50K PHP each, plus another 12K PHP for installation.

Since I discovered that I live in the hottest area in Philippines (Cabanatuan, Nueva Ecija), they are running about 18 hrs/day.  I have them set at 28C in normal mode (they have eco and heavy duty modes).  My first electric bill from CELCOR was 7,500 PHP for about 800 KWH usage.  Wasn't too shocked, I was expecting around 10K PHP.  Since it is summer and temps have been around 36-42C (54C with heat index).

Coming from California, this is actually cheap for me considering the aircon, my appliances 55" HDTV, work/gaming pc with 32" display of course the refrigerator, washing machine and fans.  In California, it's not unheard of me to get electric bills from PGE of over $400/mo during summers for a 2,800 sqft house.  Hell, my last utility bill for my 1 bed apt before I moved here in March was $150.  I believe California has most of the highest utility, gasoline, taxes and other fees in the country.  Not to mention the outrageous real estate and rent prices.

So relocating here to raise my family here was an easy decision.  I'm living on half the income I earned in California.  After all the costs, I'm still able to put just over $1,000 USD/mo into savings.

• Like 3

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)

Might be useful information to some guys. We have had our little 0.5hp AC unit run for a full month, mostly nonstop (we have a baby in the house and being half Estonian he hates the humid weather aswell). Only turning it off if we leave the house (every few days for 2-5hours). Last months bill was 3000pesos (we live in Iloilo and electricity here is apparently one of the most expensive in the Philippines). Im happy to pay the 3k a month to live like a normal human. The 7k peso investment for the Sharp unit 4 months ago has paid off! 

PS some of that 3000peso electricity is used by my gaming laptop, that is hungry for power aswell. Annes family has around the same power bill every month (+- 100-200peso) and i just pay the extra.

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 5/16/2016 at 7:10 PM, OnMyWay said:

We had the two 2.5 Carrier inverter units installed last Thursday and they work very well, but it is going to take a few months to tune the configuration to minimize electricity use.  I have a lot of experimenting to do and I will have to log my tests to see what is the best mode. 

I can run just the one in the front of the house (sala) and it cools the entire 86 sq meter area, but the coolest is the sala.  I get a bit warm in the kitchen and dining room in that mode, but my wife and others do not.  However, I don't know how much juice it is using in that mode and I assume it is running hard.

If I have both on, (sala and dining room) in theory they should both run easier to cool the entire area.  In this mode at mealtimes, my wife complains the food gets cold fast as the air is blowing right in the dining table area, so we have been turning it off at mealtimes.

My front and rear doors have large gaps underneath and that certainly does not help.  I will look for some short term solutions and longer term I will replace both of those doors with more modern doors with a good seal all around.

Our master bedroom is quite large at about 33 sqm and the previous owner installed a Kolin 1.5 hp inverter unit there.  So far I like the Kolin a lot as it is super quiet and does not blow real hard, but it cools in a nice mild mannered way.

At night I shut off the Carriers and we keep the hall door closed, so the bedroom area is isolated.  We leave our bedroom door open and our daughter's bedroom door open, and the Kolin keeps the master, hall and our daughter's bedroom comfortable.  We shut everything off in the morning until it starts to warm up.

An update on the above and my first 2 bills.

It was still hot weather here when I wrote this on May 16th.  It has since cooled off.  We rarely use the second air con in the dining area.  Typically I turn on the sala air con at 9-11 in the morning and leave on when I am inside.  My wife turns it off when I leave, most of the time.

I have fixed some of the door gap problems.  I sealed the doors with stick-on rubber product, and I attached a metal and rubber sealer on the bottom of the front door.

I think our main waste now is because we don't close doors.  When I have the sala air con on, my wife and kids leave the hallway door open that leads to the bedrooms, where the 3 BR doors are also open.  So a lot of cool air is going in there.  My wife wants to hear the baby, so that is a good reason, but the other kids just forget to close the door.  At night, we leave the Kolin on in our master bedroom with the door open, and it also keeps our older daughters BR cool enough for her.  She never needs to use her window air con.

We battle on the temp.  My wife thinks it is too cold when I leave the sala aircon on 26 for a while.  She changes it to 27 and then I feel like it is just blowing air.   Especially if it is cool outside.  I have not experimented much with the "dry" mode where it dehumidifies without lowering the temp.

My first two full bills were:

May 26-June 26: 6410.  It was still hot at the end of May

June 26-July 26: 5986

I'm sure we will do better this month on air con, but now we have to use our crappy dryer on the clothes, and I am sure it is sucking the electricity up!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
intrepid
Posted
Posted
On 17/08/2016 at 10:29 AM, OnMyWay said:

We battle on the temp.  My wife thinks it is too cold when I leave the sala aircon on 26 for a while.  She changes it to 27 and then I feel like it is just blowing air.   Especially if it is cool outside.  I have not experimented much with the "dry" mode where it dehumidifies without lowering the temp.

My first two full bills were:

May 26-June 26: 6410.  It was still hot at the end of May

June 26-July 26: 5986

On 17/05/2016 at 4:13 PM, ITGeek said:

Since I discovered that I live in the hottest area in Philippines (Cabanatuan, Nueva Ecija), they are running about 18 hrs/day.  I have them set at 28C in normal mode (they have eco and heavy duty modes).  My first electric bill from CELCOR was 7,500 PHP for about 800 KWH usage.

Okay guys this is very good information and very interesting.  Seems like I'll also be using two 2.5 hp units in our main area with additional smaller units in bedrooms and den.

I wanted to ask you guys using this much aircon are you also supplementing it with floor fans?  In our rental we only have one old through-the-wall unit.  2hp and it is mounted under a window.  It has to cool the kitchen, dining, and living room.  The aircon is located in the dining and during the day with full sun, the living room will be warm.  However, with the oscillating floor fan located at the other end of the living room, on medium,  it stays quite cool and the air con is switched to low.  In the evenings, the fan is on low.  Once the fan is off, things warm up fairly quickly.  I'm already planning a few fans for our first floor.  Also one for each room too.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, intrepid said:

I wanted to ask you guys using this much aircon are you also supplementing it with floor fans? 

Wall fans are better with the A/C on it tends to keep the Cold air down a Little Floor fans we use at night for a while after the A/C goes off

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Wall fans are better with the A/C on it tends to keep the Cold air down a Little Floor fans we use at night for a while after the A/C goes off

I agree Jack.  But my wife does not like the wall mounted fans.  So I'll have to use the space taking 18" floor fans we now use.  Can you tell a big difference with your wall fans running along with the aircon?