Cost Of Running A 3 Hp Inverter Type Air Conditioning.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, intrepid said:

I wanted to ask you guys using this much aircon are you also supplementing it with floor fans?

Sure, we have 1 floor fan in all the main rooms except the kitchen, total of 6 I think.  The main uses are:

A.  In the morning before we turn on the aircon.  Depending on how cool I want to be and what I am doing, I can usually get by until 10-12 without the aircon, if the weather is not too hot, like now.

B.  A few areas, like my desk I am sitting at right now, don't get a direct hit from the air con.  If I want to be extra cool, I point the fan so it blows the aircon air my way.

C.  My wife uses them a lot when I am not in the room or out and about.  They do the job for her.

I got my new electric bill for July 26-Aug 26th, but it has disappeared!  It was about the same as the last one ~p5900.  Our air con usage should have been down but we used our crappy dryer a lot, and are still using it.  No sun to dry the clothes for most of August!  It is a bit better now but we are still getting a lot of rain.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, intrepid said:

I agree Jack.  But my wife does not like the wall mounted fans.  So I'll have to use the space taking 18" floor fans we now use.  Can you tell a big difference with your wall fans running along with the aircon?

I think you may have answered this in your following Posts with regard to your Workstation. We find that the overhead light & fan Combination gives a less fierce A/C Blast when we sit around the Dining table and thus can lower the fan on the Inverter also the Wall fans Spread the Colder air around and Cools the sala a lot quicker which makes me believe that the less work to A/C has to do the less money it costs, we certainly notice the Difference when we turn them off as the Power sensor comes into play and the A/C has to lower the temp in the Room again. Each to their own as we say but Control to me is the best way to keep those Electric Bills to a good/manageable level :thumbsup:

Jack:shades:

Morning All :morning1:

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Sure, we have 1 floor fan in all the main rooms except the kitchen, total of 6 I think.  The main uses are:

A.  In the morning before we turn on the aircon.  Depending on how cool I want to be and what I am doing, I can usually get by until 10-12 without the aircon, if the weather is not too hot, like now.

B.  A few areas, like my desk I am sitting at right now, don't get a direct hit from the air con.  If I want to be extra cool, I point the fan so it blows the aircon air my way.

C.  My wife uses them a lot when I am not in the room or out and about.  They do the job for her.

I got my new electric bill for July 26-Aug 26th, but it has disappeared!  It was about the same as the last one ~p5900.  Our air con usage should have been down but we used our crappy dryer a lot, and are still using it.  No sun to dry the clothes for most of August!  It is a bit better now but we are still getting a lot of rain.

2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

I think you may have answered this in your following Posts with regard to your Workstation. We find that the overhead light & fan Combination gives a less fierce A/C Blast when we sit around the Dining table and thus can lower the fan on the Inverter also the Wall fans Spread the Colder air around and Cools the sala a lot quicker which makes me believe that the less work to A/C has to do the less money it costs, we certainly notice the Difference when we turn them off as the Power sensor comes into play and the A/C has to lower the temp in the Room again. Each to their own as we say but Control to me is the best way to keep those Electric Bills to a good/manageable level 

Jack:shades:

Morning All :morning1:

Thanks guys for your answers and input:thumbsup:  I guess all in agreement that the fans do help with the ac to help it not to have to work so hard and maybe saving some electric.  This is a concern for me as well because our large open area of dining, kitchen, and living area will be just under 100 sq m.  Before moving here to PI I had in my mind to budget ~P11,000 for electric.  So far, in this rental, which is smaller than the house we intend to build, our electric has been just over P9000.  But remember the aircons here are very old through the wall, not in good locations, and very inefficient.  With all that said, in the new home, I don't want to go with a 3hp, but rather the two 2.5 hp and still hoping for a lesser than P11000 monthly or better yet, closer to what you guys are experiencing.  I just hope I'm not dreaming:89:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, intrepid said:

I don't want to go with a 3hp, but rather the two 2.5 hp

Be careful on this and make sure they are run off Different Circuits, Our Friend Nutz2u2 did this and was constantly overloading a circuit and cutting of TV and other equipment to maintain the right voltage to the A/C motherboards :thumbsup:

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jack Peterson said:

Be careful on this and make sure they are run off Different Circuits, Our Friend Nutz2u2 did this and was constantly overloading a circuit and cutting of TV and other equipment to maintain the right voltage to the A/C motherboards :thumbsup:

Thanks for this advise Jack.  I'll make sure the electricians keep each aircon on its own circuit.  No since in having aircon if I cannot watch the TV,...while laying back in the easy chair recliner,... eating a scoop of ice cream,.. before it melts!   :SugarwareZ-005:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I have posted this before but will again. Running 2 x 2.5 hp units may be detrimental to both the Bill and the Unit. If you intend to turn one of the 2.5's Off the other will still work harder to maintain the whole Area and will not adjust it's self to what you are trying to do and as such you will have at least one of the Units constantly running, that will surely cost both ways,

We thought of this and the Engineers told us that this would happen our 3hp copes very well and we too have a large open Sala  (combined kitchen kitchen & hallway between bedrooms all dealt with by a 3hp For me let,the Supplier do a Laser measurement and again for me, Heed the Advice Given. 2 x 2.5 = 5 hp, Man that is a Lot of Power usage and may not be necessary. Quite a few here have attended my House and will attest to the Coolness,

I don't like waste but then, that's me. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I have posted this before but will again. Running 2 x 2.5 hp units may be detrimental to both the Bill and the Unit. If you intend to turn one of the 2.5's Off the other will still work harder to maintain the whole Area and will not adjust it's self to what you are trying to do and as such you will have at least one of the Units constantly running, that will surely cost both ways,

We thought of this and the Engineers told us that this would happen our 3hp copes very well and we too have a large open Sala  (combined kitchen kitchen & hallway between bedrooms all dealt with by a 3hp For me let,the Supplier do a Laser measurement and again for me, Heed the Advice Given. 2 x 2.5 = 5 hp, Man that is a Lot of Power usage and may not be necessary. Quite a few here have attended my House and will attest to the Coolness,

I don't like waste but then, that's me. :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack, that is very good and useful information for me to consider.  More info the better.  Talking to two different aircon "experts"  who have looked over our plans, one stated I'll need 5hp to cool the whole area and the other says 5.5hp.  Because the area is a large "L" shape and almost 100 sq m.  I'm thinking two smaller units will cover the area better than one one large.  But as you said, that's me.  At this point,...and we are just now starting to build.  So now some research and planning because I know I will change my mind several times before we are ready to install.  Thanks again for you input.  It really does help! danny

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
intrepid
Posted
Posted

Jack & Don,

Wondering about maintenance costs.  I have always done my own cleaning and servicing.  But now, these units will be mounted higher on the wall and need tall ladders.  I no longer desire or want to chance working on ladders.  Here in the rental I have been cleaning the through the wall units about every 45 days.  I have been told the the split units will need to be cleaned and serviced at least 3 times a year, but I think the filters will need cleaned even more.  Do you guys clean your own or do have service people and what are the costs?

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Jack & Don,

Wondering about maintenance costs.  I have always done my own cleaning and servicing.  But now, these units will be mounted higher on the wall and need tall ladders.  I no longer desire or want to chance working on ladders.  Here in the rental I have been cleaning the through the wall units about every 45 days.  I have been told the the split units will need to be cleaned and serviced at least 3 times a year, but I think the filters will need cleaned even more.  Do you guys clean your own or do have service people and what are the costs?

Yep! the Filters I do every Month myself, on the wall unit and the 1hp split. Funnily enough They have been to day as we do the Small one (Used 8/10 hours day) 4 Times a Year. Cost for the Small Split was 300 peso and the Wall unit 100 ( We gave 500 for the Job) [They were clean workers] The 3 hp I don't Touch as it is High and too much to go wrong so we have that Done twice a Year as we only use it about 4 hours a week. the cost for Cleaning that one is 650 per visit. (It takes about 3 Hours with 3 men) {The outside unit is Very Large and has a Lot of Work to do on it.

Our First Full year will cost 2.500 for the 3 Units. :thumbsup:

Jack:smile:

Good Day All ( English English :whistling:)

• Like 2