Assistance On Lcd Projector

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Hi guys,

I need a little advice. This December I plan to make a small outside cinema for Christmas movies for the local kids in our community. On our island there is no cinema.

I have my Mac computer with the movies all down-loaded and ready to go. What I need to buy is a LCD projector of some description that works good for showing movies from my computer. Any advice on model which would work well, but is not too expensive?

Also advice on an adhoc screen would be helpful as well. At the moment I am thinking of going into SM Cebu and seeing if I can find one of those portable fold up screens like I have seen at Office Works in Australia.

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

I was thinking about that, but there are none to rent on Bantayan. I would have to rent one from Cebu or something.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I was thinking about that, but there are none to rent on Bantayan. I would have to rent one from Cebu or something.

Yes well both links are for Cebu suppliers and one said the deliver to any province of Cebu so you might be able to arrange something.

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi guys,

I need a little advice. This December I plan to make a small outside cinema for Christmas movies for the local kids in our community. On our island there is no cinema.

I have my Mac computer with the movies all down-loaded and ready to go. What I need to buy is a LCD projector of some description that works good for showing movies from my computer. Any advice on model which would work well, but is not too expensive?

Also advice on an adhoc screen would be helpful as well. At the moment I am thinking of going into SM Cebu and seeing if I can find one of those portable fold up screens like I have seen at Office Works in Australia.

Here are the basic things to look for when renting/shopping for a LCD projector.  Make sure the video and audio connections are compatible.  For example, from your Mac computer you should have an HDMI output connector.  The beauty about HDMI is the fact it carries both high definition video as well as stereo sound signals, all in one cable. Hopefully, on the LCD projector it has an HDMI input connector. The 2nd option would be the RGB (red, green, blue) component video but I don't think your Mac computer has those 3 video output connectors, plus 2 more for L and R audio channel.  A total of 5 separate cables between 2 devices, using RCA type connectors.

Of course you could buy video and audio adapters (HDMI to 3 separate components connectors into the projector) but your budget or finding the right adapter could be a PIA.  Let us know more about your project so we could offer you further assistance.  It will cost you 20 bucks per hour.....he, he.

Edited by Jake
  • Like 1

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Hi guys,

Here are the basic things to look for when renting/shopping for a LCD projector.  Make sure the video and audio connections are compatible.  For example, from your Mac computer you should have an HDMI output connector.  The beauty about HDMI is the fact it carries both high definition video as well as stereo sound signals, all in one cable. Hopefully, on the LCD projector it has an HDMI input connector. The 2nd option would be the RGB (red, green, blue) component video but I don't think your Mac computer has those 3 video output connectors, plus 2 more for L and R audio channel.  A total of 5 separate cables between 2 devices, using RCA type connectors.

Of course you could buy video and audio adapters (HDMI to 3 separate components connectors into the projector) but your budget or finding the right adapter could be a PIA.  Let us know more about your project so we could offer you further assistance.  It will cost you 20 bucks per hour.....he, he.

Thanks, I bought the HDMI output adapter for  my Mac. Also I have figured out how to make a big outdoor screen by a couple DYI presentations on the internet. Now I just need to find a projector.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

Lazada has a lot of them.  Some of them are really cheap and I am not sure I would go that low.  If you get a decent one you can use it in your house after your show.  Some of my friends have had nice home theater projection systems.  They would fine on a nice smooth white wall, without a screen.  In the U.S., I think they even sell a paint to use on the wall for the projector.

Here is a good one.  Jake will buy it for the kids:

http://www.lazada.com.ph/jvc-dla-x900r-full-hd-3d-projector-black-445843.html

Seriously, if you want to use it afterwards, something like this one might be good.  Price is ok for a good brand, Infocus.

http://www.lazada.com.ph/infocus-in112a-svga-3d-ready-dlp-projector-black-with-free-70-x-70-tripod-projector-screen-468398.html

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Infocus projectors are pretty good and reasonably priced.  At the bare minimum, I would go with at least a 720p resolution, but much better if you go all the way to 1080P high definition.  Also consider the average life of the lamp bulb.  They're not cheap, replacing one after 2-3 years of use, depending on brightness setup and how often you're entertaining the whole village.....he, he.  Buy a spare lamp anyway.  

Next is your physical setup -- where to mount the projector.  Normally suspended from the ceiling or mounted at the top of a tall cabinet.  If you're gonna mount it on the ceiling, the length of cable from your computer needs to be considered.  If you're going for outdoor theater setup, dismounting-remounting the projector to put away for safekeeping needs to be considered also.  One final suggestion is to buy an automatic voltage regulator to protect both your Mac and projector. 

Let us know when you're done.....I'll bring the popcorn. OK?

Edited by Jake

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Infocus projectors are pretty good and reasonably priced.  At the bare minimum, I would go with at least a 720p resolution, but much better if you go all the way to 1080P high definition.  Also consider the average life of the lamp bulb.  They're not cheap, replacing one after 2-3 years of use, depending on brightness setup and how often you're entertaining the whole village.....he, he.  Buy a spare lamp anyway.  

Next is your physical setup -- where to mount the projector.  Normally suspended from the ceiling or mounted at the top of a tall cabinet.  If you're gonna mount it on the ceiling, the length of cable from your computer needs to be considered.  If you're going for outdoor theater setup, dismounting-remounting the projector to put away for safekeeping needs to be considered also.  One final suggestion is to buy an automatic voltage regulator to protect both your Mac and projector. 

Jake is that brand of projector found in Cebu?

Jake
Posted
Posted

Jake is that brand of projector found in Cebu?

http://www.lazada.com.ph/infocus-in112a-svga-3d-ready-dlp-projector-black-with-free-70-x-70-tripod-projector-screen-468398.html

The link provided by OMW is from Lazada.com, similar to Amazon but apparently popular in the Philippines for mail order items.  This particular Infocus is 800 x 600 resolution, not high definition.  It costs about 400 bucks US and comes with a 70" wide projector screen on a tripod.  I would upgrade to HD projector with the screen package (maybe 100-200 bucks more).