Buyer Beware In Manila

Crocodile
Posted
Posted
How much, I asked? He said 1,400 pesos but when I politely told him that was too high, he dropped the price to 1,200 pesos. I told him I would look around a bit first. I ended up taking one of the metered, yellow, airport taxis and it only cost me 142 pesos plus tip. HUGE difference, but is it a scam or is it buyer beware?

It is common sense that when you visit a new city/country, you try to find out a little about how you will get from the airport to your hotel.

Also, never ever let the taxi choose you.  Always choose your taxi.  If you are walking along a street and a taxi slows down and the driver waves at you, it should faise red flags!

The NAIA taxi problem is well know.  As someone who has been in the Philippines long enough to know how things work, it seems like you did the right thing.

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I get of the plane , out of the terminal, into the taxi and into the hotel, and yes i am the one behind my wife and my mouth is shut tight, while hers has never stopped demanding this and that from who ever offers or listens to her , it works for me :thumbsup:

• Like 4

earthdome
Posted
Posted

One trick I pull when arriving at NAIA Terminal 3 from an overseas flight is staying at the Remington Hotel which is across the street from Terminal 3. They have a free shuttle which runs every hour avoiding the whole get a taxi problem. Then you can get a taxi at normal negotiated or meter rates when you check out of the hotel. FYI you can't walk from Terminal 3 to the Remington Hotel. You can book the hotel using the handy affiliate link on this website JGF has for Agoda.

• Like 4

intrepid
Posted
Posted

One trick I pull when arriving at NAIA Terminal 3 from an overseas flight is staying at the Remington Hotel which is across the street from Terminal 3. They have a free shuttle which runs every hour avoiding the whole get a taxi problem. Then you can get a taxi at normal negotiated or meter rates when you check out of the hotel. FYI you can't walk from Terminal 3 to the Remington Hotel. You can book the hotel using the handy affiliate link on this website JGF has for Agoda.

Maybe you have had good luck at the Remington.  Not Us.  When we arrived to check-in there was only one person working the counter and we were behind four other couples checking in.  After about 30 min. there were more about 20 guests waiting to check in.  We noticed it took five or six employees to check someone in.  There were many more check in stations but only one opened.  Someone after us asked for the manager and requested them to open another station which they did after a while.  It took more than two hours to get checked  in :th_unfair: .  Finally got to the room and the free wi-fi was so poor I just decided to take a nap.  An hour later we went down to get a bite to eat and some of the same people were still waiting to check in !  It will be many years and a managment change before I will try the Remington again.   Sorry, but that's the way it was two years ago.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Maybe you have had good luck at the Remington.  Not Us.  When we arrived to check-in there was only one person working the counter and we were behind four other couples checking in.  After about 30 min. there were more about 20 guests waiting to check in.  We noticed it took five or six employees to check someone in.  There were many more check in stations but only one opened.  Someone after us asked for the manager and requested them to open another station which they did after a while.  It took more than two hours to get checked  in :th_unfair: .  Finally got to the room and the free wi-fi was so poor I just decided to take a nap.  An hour later we went down to get a bite to eat and some of the same people were still waiting to check in !  It will be many years and a managment change before I will try the Remington again.   Sorry, but that's the way it was two years ago.

Wow. That is a very bad experience. I have used the Remington 4-5 times in the last 3 years. Never had any problems.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

In my rich days we use to stay at the Marriott across the road too

Thomas
Posted
Posted
In my rich days we use to stay at the Marriott across the road too
Off topic.

In my rich days I stayed in lower cost - but clean - places anyway   :mocking:    (Except once many years ago when my employer decided where we stayed and his company paid.)

The most rich man I know any closer, use the even lower cost hotels and spend very litle at food. Perhaps that's why he is rich  :lol: