Baseball And The Pinoy

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
I am going to put a fair bit of money

Mike, I rarely, rarely give out emphatic advice. Having said that, I really think you should keep your cash in your pocket for a bit. Ask a lot more questions, grab a kid and play catch, see if you can interest them in some 3 flies up. There must be a lot more than meets the eyes culturally. There must be SOMETHING!

Lets examine this a bit:

1898 Spanish-American war. USA took over Cuba (baseball is huge) took over Puerto Rico (baseball is huge). Built the Panama Canal (baseball is huge) 1945 occupied Japan (baseball is huge) 1954 occupied South Korea (baseball is huge) 1948 occupied Taiwan (sort of) (baseball is huge)

1898 occupied the Philippines, baseball is practically nonexistent. I don't know if its the equipment, climate, physical make up of players or to few horses to make baseballs. What ever the reason, baseball just doesn't seem to work here.

• Like 4

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

I am going to put a fair bit of money

Mike, I rarely, rarely give out emphatic advice. Having said that, I really think you should keep your cash in your pocket for a bit. Ask a lot more questions, grab a kid and play catch, see if you can interest them in some 3 flies up. There must be a lot more than meets the eyes culturally. There must be SOMETHING!

Lets examine this a bit:

1898 Spanish-American war. USA took over Cuba (baseball is huge) took over Puerto Rico (baseball is huge). Built the Panama Canal (baseball is huge) 1945 occupied Japan (baseball is huge) 1954 occupied South Korea (baseball is huge) 1948 occupied Taiwan (sort of) (baseball is huge)

1898 occupied the Philippines, baseball is practically nonexistent. I don't know if its the equipment, climate, physical make up of players or to few horses to make baseballs. What ever the reason, baseball just doesn't seem to work here.

In our little compound there are about 200 kids little league age. I have already bought 4 gloves and a bunch of baseballs. So far the kids have really taken to it. I have not introduced a bat yet...LOL...waiting to find a good place to hit still...haha.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Sorry, going a bit off topic, but your bats can always be used.  Read the reviews of bats on Amazon.uk.  They love their bats!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rucanor-Aluminium-Baseball-Bat-Silver/dp/B003XII2U6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446427323&sr=8-1&keywords=baseball+bats

• Like 1

Larry45
Posted
Posted

http://www.toptenz.net/10-reasons-why-basketball-is-better-than-baseball.php

Here's a Filipino explaining it all.  Basically baseball is too complicated and slow-paced for the average Filipino to appreciate.  Good points about the other countries, Scott.

• Like 1

kalibojerry
Posted
Posted

i have seen some collage games and they were pretty good in manila the problem there is no baseball at the lower levels, Soft Ball the guys and the ladies ran away with the gold in the Asian games , and there was some real studs on the girls team I mean some real players who could bring it it was a shame that they did not show much of it, i feel the problem is the cost, most of your good players come from poor families and can not afford the baseball shoes let alone the gloves .and do not forget the field to play on 

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

As I was preparing to move to the Philis, I thought to myself, what is the one thing I don't want my son to miss out on? I decided it was pitch and catch with his old man. I went to the goodwill store and found five ball gloves at .99 cents each and a ball bat for $2.00. So I packed them in boxes and sent them. Now I wish I had bought more after reading this story on the forum. 

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

On the sports field next to Burnham Park in Baguio I have seen little league age kids playing organized baseball games a few times and they had all the equipment.

I am with Mike on this. I grew up playing many sports but baseball was the one I was really passionate about.

My wife told me that at her public school in the province they would play baseball once in a while.