Safety On Pinoy Ferries

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Any pointers on the best places to stand/sit on a ferry so can escape easier/faster if something does happen?

Upon boarding, whether by vehicle or walk on, use your eyes and ears to quickly assess the condition of the vessel.  As a general rule, I would reschedule departure when sea state looks pretty hairy.  We all know that port authority (Philippine coast guard) will sometimes give permission to depart, in spite of weather conditions.  How strong are you as a swimmer?  

Next, triple check your parking brake so that your vehicle will not cause a drastic shift in balance.  As you go up to the upper decks, start concentrating on the ambient noise (vessel going through the water) and the internal noise of the engine.  See how she rides the ocean swells.  Does the bow come up gracefully or starts to shutter?  If you hear or feel a sudden jerk, either the vessel hit something (sandbar, another boat) or something below decks broke loose, which will cause another piece of cargo to break loose as well.  

Use your gut feeling.  Watch the crew and the captain.  If the ship is going down anyway, just pray you have enough time to bend over and kiss your ass goodbye.  For me, I would stand near the bar, getting plastered and singing My Way.....he, he.  

Respectfully -- Jake

PS -- Judy will be my personal bartender, serving me drinks!

Edited by Jake
  • Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Ah, Jake, you Americans have bigger life rafts than the Canadian Navy has ships... We were always hearing and feeling shudders through the ship... Something to do with sneaking through a Cat 5 hurricane that does that... Lol!

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Ah, Jake, you Americans have bigger life rafts than the Canadian Navy has ships... We were always hearing and feeling shudders through the ship... Something to do with sneaking through a Cat 5 hurricane that does that... Lol!

Oh my god, forgot all about that!  The propeller coming out of the water and then chopping the surface as it comes down, spinning around 30 rpm's.  Well, we did have the option to strap ourselves in our racks (FFG-7 class frigate) but I just rolled over like a baby -- only had another hour before my midwatch on the bridge.  

Do they sell motion sickness pills in PI?  God, I would hate to be in the receiving end of someone pukin' their baluts at me.  

Respectfully -- Jake, always walkin' with a starboard list.....he, he. 

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Oh my god, forgot all about that!  The propeller coming out of the water and then chopping the surface as it comes down, spinning around 30 rpm's.  Well, we did have the option to strap ourselves in our racks (FFG-7 class frigate) but I just rolled over like a baby -- only had another hour before my midwatch on the bridge.  

Do they sell motion sickness pills in PI?  God, I would hate to be in the receiving end of someone pukin' their baluts at me.  

Respectfully -- Jake, always walkin' with a starboard list.....he, he.

Our old steamers used to reverse that... When it was rough? The front 2/3 of the ship came out of the water... On the 280 class destroyers, they rolled instead... So if you ever felt the props come out of the water? I've got photos somewhere of walking on the deckhead... Lol!

• Like 1

northtoalaska
Posted
Posted

Well, I'm not ex-Navy, but I do the same you Mike. I check for PFDs, emergency rafts (not that I believe that they (a) are functional, or, (b) are even in the container, I, also, prefer a location from which I can likely escape during an upset.

In addition, I always check the sailing weather prior to getting on board, and, I never travel at night.

All that having been said, I also realize there is nothing to worry about, because on some ferries, like the SuperCat, they show a safety video that concludes with a prayer. I figure a DVD prayer is probably worth at least a functional PFD....

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
safety video that concludes with a prayer

Well it is always being said that the Philippines gets a lot of their cultural and traditional behaviors from the Spanish colonial period.

It is not common knowledge but in the British and American Navies during the wind age, the normal command to turn a ship was "Helm a Lee!"

In the Spanish navy of the period the command was "Vaya con Dios" (go with god).

Something to think about :cheersty:

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

http://maritimeaccident.org/2015/05/can-imo-fix-domestic-ferries/

I should declare an interest - Bob Couttie is an old friend (and 30 year Philippines resident)

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

http://maritimeaccident.org/2015/05/can-imo-fix-domestic-ferries/

I should declare an interest - Bob Couttie is an old friend (and 30 year Philippines resident)

Thanks you Andrew!  It is a good read about Maritime Accident Cases in the Philippines.  It also shows that the Manila conference held in April of this year was another photo op and a pitcher full of warm spit -- A decade ago the Philippines passed laws mandating an IMO-compliant accident investigation regime but the implementing rules and regulations have yet to see the light of day.

Life is cheap in the Far East but the DVD prayers will save their souls along with bullet amulets and sacred chickens, yeah right.......

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Any pointers on the best places to stand/sit on a ferry so can escape easier/faster if something does happen?

Definitely top side...inside the cabins, or below deck with all the minions not a good place to be.

You would pay more for top side, air conditioned passenger lounge.  Also keep an eye on what the crew does when no announcement is made during emergency.  Often times, the captain and crew have abandoned ship already, leaving us minions with a thumb up our butts.  Yeah, record that from your cellphone for criminal investigation later.  

All good advice. Also, which I know "it is easier said then done, especially when everyone else is losing their heads"...which I know first hand being involved in a capsized vessel several years ago, if you must jump in the water, make sure you have a life preserver, even if you are a good swimmer, and be very aware if the props are still engaged on the vessel as well.

Hey Doc,

I'm surprise that I didn't catch this one the first time.  If it brings back any nightmares for you, please don't bother, OK?  Although, first hand experience involved in a capsized vessel, has certainly peaked my interest.  Care to tell us about it?  

Respectfully -- Jake, slightly bent over to kiss my........ 

• Like 1