Why Are You So "strict"?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I will just Add here if I may? The Filipinos version of Strict is normally borne out of Insecurity and Jealousy.

Ours I think, is trying to get that even balance and get things right ( First time if we can [and eliminate problems by nipping in the Bud])

JMHO

Jack :thumbsup:

• Like 4

Larry45
Posted
Posted (edited)

In my experience, having a Filipino say you are 'strict' is not exactly meant to be complimentary.  Yet, it refers to how much BS we will tolerate, so if that's your nature you should take it as a compliment.  I was in a group of Filipinos recently and one guy was explaining why he left his wife and child and moved to another city...."She was very strict".   What he really meant was that his wife wouldn't tolerate his lies and infidelity.   Everyone agreed with him and understood.  

I guess they would agree Larry, Probably got a Strict Wife at home themselves but something tells me that is not the case in Question.

This is why I said, we should ask, for what reason, some think We are strict? There is Strict and there is Strict. Yes?

For a Guy to leave a wife and child like that. To me means she was not Strict enough but then to be found out Well.... Good marriages I would say, Don't need that type of Strict, He knew he was Doing wrong.

Jack :)

Well, I certainly didn't defend the guy!  Strict to Filipinos means exactly the same thing as it did to us when we were 12 years old.  "It's more fun over at Billy's house.  His parents aren't as strict as yours."   The rationale is the same.   :tiphat:

Edited by Larry45
  • Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I get that sometimes being strict , but most of the time i just get i am TIGHT , but hey i am happy if they all know that

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
I get that sometimes being strict , but most of the time i just get i am TIGHT , but hey i am happy if they all know that

Hey Steve, it's your  round. :hystery:

From my humble experience (humble me?)

When told I am being strict, it usually means my way of thinking is not agreeable.

My dear old Dad was old fashioned and strict....it did me no harm and kept me the right side of the law.

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Does anyone else's pinay ask them, "why are so strict?" I often get this from my pinay, she will say "Mata why are you so strict?"
Don't most Filipinos find most westerners "strict"  (at least before retirement age)  ?
I was in a group of Filipinos recently and one guy was explaining why he left his wife and child and moved to another city...."She was very strict".
Perhaps she wanted him to work  :lol:

What you write is much to common (=Filipinos leave their family and DON'T send any support)  :bash:

I know a bunch of Filipinas with kids who have KICKED OUT their lazy men, being tired of support him too, without he even try to get work...

Such make it easier for us foreigners to be better in comparing   :lol:     I know rather many Filipinas, who say "Never a Filipino husband/boyfriend again" because of lazyness and/or cheating.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I get that sometimes being strict , but most of the time i just get i am TIGHT

Remembering that Filipinos mix Spanish and English, and realizing that strict comes from a latin root, I googled what 'estricte' means when translated from Spanish.  The result is similar to what I believe Filipinas mean when they call me strict, and tight is not too far off the mark.  In addition to what we think of as 'strict' the same word translated from Spanish can mean: Tight, Close, Severe or Austere.  I usually get called strict when I am perceived to look or act grumpy.

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

I get that sometimes being strict , but most of the time i just get i am TIGHT

Remembering that Filipinos mix Spanish and English, and realizing that strict comes from a latin root, I googled what 'estricte' means when translated from Spanish.  The result is similar to what I believe Filipinas mean when they call me strict, and tight is not too far off the mark.  In addition to what we think of as 'strict' the same word translated from Spanish can mean: Tight, Close, Severe or Austere.  I usually get called strict when I am perceived to look or act grumpy.

It's crazy to be called Kuriput when you pay all the bills and stock the house.

But still.

They grab my bar of soap, shampoo and toothpaste when they find they don't have any. I use a bar of soap for up to 2 month while there community soap lasts only 3 days.

I tell Gina to buy enough laundry products for a month, but hide ours so we won't run out. Mother in law knows all the hiding places and will casually help herself, even if I am there.

If they do any little work around the area, they will automatically request merienda. I scale that between nothing to a large snack if I feel what they did was useful.

Cooking oil. A month's supply lasts a week or less.

Petrol in the motorbike. Is viewed as an asset and they will use any reason to try and borrow the bike. 9/10 denied.

But I reverse it back on them. All family is helping with the mini construction and renovation. So no payment, but will provide food and drinks as long as they keep working.

I must have learned something. I am less generous than I was in the beginning, but they used to call me Kuriput back then. Recently, this year I have not heard it. I think it's a matter of timing, knowing when to give and when to withhold. But they are clever also, they know exactly when to ask for something. Around pension day is a vulnerable time.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
I am perceived to look or act grumpy.

I get called that , even though i am happy inside, :tiphat:

stevewool
Posted
Posted
They grab my bar of soap,

Chris get two bars of soap, white is best  and use just one for your backside but make sure you leave that out for others to use,usually that the one with brown bits on it,then you will smile when you know that soap has been used , just a thought :thumbsup:

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

They grab my bar of soap,

Chris get two bars of soap, white is best  and use just one for your backside but make sure you leave that out for others to use,usually that the one with brown bits on it,then you will smile when you know that soap has been used , just a thought :thumbsup:

Where is this going with bars of soap what will be the next thing will you say "don`t bend over in the shower"?