What Keeps You In The Philippines?

chris49
Posted
Posted

The partner, the cost of living, both go hand in hand.

The beach, the food, the people in general.

The level of acceptance of me as an older man, retiree, yet can easily mingle in the society, even friending younger people. Stuff that is the USA or Australia is sometimes socially unacceptable.

Following up now.

The easy communication across all age groups afforded to me as a foreigner. There are people who just sometimes like to talk. Today a man and wife about my age. At the same time, younger kids, even if only to try out their language skills, nothing else in it. I like the situation where there are no barriers across all ages, across all levels of society.

USA has less communication barriers than Australia. Yanks like talking to Aussies. But back home I carry the invisible Snr Citizen or Retiree lable and people treat me accordingly. I noticed when they hand out stuff at the Mall they avoid to give me the handouts, thinking I'm probably not interested. Here they line up to give me the handouts, as a foreigner again.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

This is a long and interesting topic and each of us has a different perspective. Guess that's why it's so interesting.

For myself, first as another poster mentioned is the effect the climate has on ones health. The climate here makes me feel head and shoulders above any other country I have lived in, especially NZ. Shorts all year round!!

Second to be honest would be for the advantages we seem to have with the young ladies if we so choose. OK guys I remain single but do have a GF, anyway they are here if desired.

Further one can build a reasonable house here (be it a struggle) for a fraction of the cost back home, without many of the enforced regulations also. This is somewhat of a two edged blade though.

Cost of living I do not agree is substantially lower, it's how one makes it. If we want similar foods to home we shall pay at least as much or even more so. If we eat like locals sure dirt cheap.

Oh almost forgot the SM s are certainly cheaper......

• Like 2

BobP
Posted
Posted

As the others said for the most part sex and cost of living is why many learn to deal with the small inconveniences found there. 

One thing for sure Bob, the weather will be very familiar to your hometown except tornadoes.  :unsure:

Good luck! :cheersty:

Hi Old55...it is very mild here in Atlanta area except during July and August when it can get quite humid.  My perception of the Phils is that it is HOT and HUMID most of the time.  I am glad to hear that it is much more comfortable than what I thought.  :cheersty:

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

You can get it on installment if it`s easier for you.

attachicon.gifScratch head.gif EH?

Jack,

Maybe he means "The Sex" Old55 was talking about. :no:

PS there's always one who spoils the party......JB

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

BobP

Some good advice as always on this forum.

The longest I have stayed is 3 Months, however I am drawn back almost every year.

You mentioned internet G/F that is the start, check out where she lives, how her family react towards you.

If she is chaperoned by a member of her  family in your presence is a good sign.

With regards to your likelyhood of staying depends on what you are prepared for or prepared to accept.

My first visit was a culture shock if only for seeing street kids for the first time!

The provinces seem to have the most appeal, unless your are looking for more livelier places

But you won't know till you try it.....it's more fun in the Philippines :dance: .....good luck JB

• Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

The level of acceptance of me as an older man, retiree, yet can easily mingle in the society, even friending younger people. Stuff that is the USA or Australia is sometimes socially unacceptable.

This is a good way of putting it, Chris, and I hadn't been able to articulate it so well. At 62 I am considered the old man at work. I am already beginning to see what people over 70 have been saying for years about this culture and your invisibility. The only reason I am not invisible is because I am 62 with a hot younger wife :)

When I go to the Philippines I am accepted. Is that because I am a foreigner - yes, I am sure. But there is also a different attitude toward getting older there - if you're lucky enough to get older.

Edited by davewe
  • Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)

You can get it on installment if it`s easier for you.

attachicon.gifScratch head.gif EH?

Jack,

Maybe he means "The Sex" Old55 was talking about. :no:

PS there's always one who spoils the party......JB

I meant that you don`t have to do them all straight away when you get here. Nothing to do with the naughty word you said who honestly comes here to do that naughty word, not many I`m sure.

Edited by sonjack2847
  • Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
But I tell you what.....having a bucket bath (thanks Kevin), sometimes outside the house is really out of this world!

:agree: I told my wife when we build our new house one of my requirements is an out door/out back area to bath!  It doesn't get any better than that!

• Like 2