Petition Time!

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

Ok Guys, I'm just about ready to go to the embassy and file our i-130 petition. I thought I would run down the list and see if I got everything covered.

Here is what I have:

I - 130

I - 325 one for me and another from my wife

My divorce decree

Copy of my lease with our names

Affidavit from our landlord saying we have lived here together and she sees is together

Affidavit from my wife's mother saying she may me in April and was at our wedding, sees us, we are happy, etc.

Pictures of us together from the start

Birth certificate

Passport

Copies of my visa extensions

Marriage certificate

G -1145

Have I missed anything and any advice for doing this? Can my wife enter the embassy with me? Is there a best time or day to do it?

Do I need cash or a check or what?

Thanks

mogo51
Posted
Posted

It all sounds too difficult for me

• Like 2

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

You will need a cashiers check or money order-they do not take personal checks.

• Like 1

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

You will need a cashiers check or money order-they do not take personal checks.

Thanks Steve, The amount is $420 I believe. Where do I get a money order or cashiers check.

It all sounds too difficult for me

Yes it is a big pita but my wife and baby are worth it. :)

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

Well we filed our petition today. I slept about 2 hours last night.

They accepted it and I was able to use a credit card to pay. No money order needed.

I'll post more later on the process but one quick tip. If they request something and it doesn't apply to you then print the word "none" in there.

Glad that's over.

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

They accepted it and I was able to use a credit card to pay. No money order needed.

I'll post more later on the process but one quick tip. If they request something and it doesn't apply to you then print the word "none" in there.

Glad that's over.

Congrats!!

Now you have to wait 2-3 weeks to see if the petition was approved. They will send that notice to the postal address you gave them and to the email address. I would also follow up starting in 2 weeks with phone calls. The email will contain a pdf with further instructions to move forward with the process.

Once again, congrats. That was the first big hurdle and filing DCF really speeds up the process.

• Like 3

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

Glad that's over.

Congrats!!

Now you have to wait 2-3 weeks to see if the petition was approved. They will send that notice to the postal address you gave them and to the email address. I would also follow up starting in 2 weeks with phone calls. The email will contain a pdf with further instructions to move forward with the process.

Once again, congrats. That was the first big hurdle and filing DCF really speeds up the process.

Thanks, I hope they approve it but I'm not sure if they will.

I don't know why but she seemed skeptical about my evidence of bonafied marriage.

My wife is pregnant for gods sake. I would say that is good proof of a real marriage. Perhaps I should get a letter from her doctor.

Am I correct in assuming they will request further evidence rather than just deny the petition?

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Glad that's over.

Congrats!!

Thanks, I hope they approve it but I'm not sure if they will.

I don't know why but she seemed skeptical about my evidence of bonafied marriage.

My wife is pregnant for gods sake. I would say that is good proof of a real marriage. Perhaps I should get a letter from her doctor.

Am I correct in assuming they will request further evidence rather than just deny the petition?

After my wife's Embassy interview they still required one additional piece of information before they would issue the visa. We had up to one year to provide that additional evidence, in our case it was another NBI clearance based on some info on her birth certificate. They made it very easy even giving us the necessary documents so we could send the additional NBI clearance to them at no charge using 2GO.

I guess it all depends on what they need from you, who you are dealing with and where in the process you are.

In our case USCIS at the Embassy was very helpful so we could complete the process.

From our experience how well you do depends on 2 things. How well you do in your preparations and the quality of the evidence you provide plus the USCIS person you deal with. Some of them can be difficult or maybe be having a bad day. Others can be easy to work with. There is alot of advice on other websites for you wife on how to do the interview, etc. Be prepared and ensure your wife is prepared.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Richieboy67
Posted
Posted (edited)

Our petition was approved on the 1st. :)

Edited by Richieboy67
  • Like 5

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

Congrats, Richie :cheersty: ..you're on your way now. Credit goes to you and your wife for the preparation ahead of time.

• Like 2