Petition Time!

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Richieboy67 said:

Hey guys, sorry for not being around but I usually use the mobile app tapatalk for most forums and it is no longer available.

Anyways, I have some good news! Our Visa was just issued today! We had the interview on the 8th but we got the 221G thing requesting more documents. We have been waiting for news and finally today we got some!

Thanks to everyone that helped! It has been a long process for us considering we filed our petition back in November.. all good now!

Congratulations!! Only 4 months. Still much faster than initiating the process in the states.

Do you have your flight reservations yet? One thing to consider is what port of entry you will use. Some are better than others. You can still be denied or have problems at that final step where your wife enters. The port of entry is the first USA airport you land at where you go through customs and immigration. ICE there will go through and do a final verification of everything in the sealed packet. We decided to use Denver where the line was short (only 1 person ahead of us) and the staff were nice. You can find reviews of ports of entry for immigration on other immigration forums.

Edited by earthdome
  • Like 2

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, earthdome said:

Congratulations!! Only 4 months. Still much faster than initiating the process in the states.

Do you have your flight reservations yet? One thing to consider is what port of entry you will use. Some are better than others. You can still be denied or have problems at that final step where your wife enters. The port of entry is the first USA airport you land at where you go through customs and immigration. ICE there will go through and do a final verification of everything in the sealed packet. We decided to use Denver where the line was short (only 1 person ahead of us) and the staff were nice. You can find reviews of ports of entry for immigration on other immigration forums.

Hi there, Thanks!!

We do not have reservations yet but we will be flying into JFK. I have been through there a few times but never for a visa entry. I know it was very quick when I went through customs though.

GregZ
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 3/31/2016 at 5:53 PM, Richieboy67 said:

Hi there, Thanks!!

We do not have reservations yet but we will be flying into JFK. I have been through there a few times but never for a visa entry. I know it was very quick when I went through customs though.

You, US Citizen or permanent resident, going through customs and entry with a Filipina are two totally different things. 

First, she must go through the foreigner entry line.  It could be quite long and slow just for the passport check.  That will depend if any other flights are landing at the same time. JFK will likely be a yes.  They do NOT pass non-residents as quickly as residents.  If you are traveling together go through the same non-resident line with her.  Step to the counter together so they know you are a couple.

Second, the paperwork gets processed by the border entry personnel.  We went through Houston, Texas.  It was over 2 hours waiting.  Then they cleared us.  No interview, questions or anything.  Total time with immigration 3 hours.  Flight layover was 2+ hours, so MISSED connecting flight.

Finally, customs.  Walked right through.  They did not even look twice at us.

Flight we missed was last of the day.  American Airlines gave us discounted hotel accommodation with complimentary shuttle, and re-booked on the morning flight of our choice, even though it was not their fault.  Thanks to them for making our first night in the USA like a cheap honeymoon. HaHaHa

Best of luck to you and all that follow.   Greg

Edited by GregZ
  • Like 3

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

Looks like we still have a little fun left.

We are flying out next week so we will see what happens I guess. Everything should be in order so I do not expect any issues.

JFK has these big atm looking machines that allow you to check in with your passport first. Hopefully that will quicken things up.

Thanks

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Richieboy67 said:

Looks like we still have a little fun left.

We are flying out next week so we will see what happens I guess. Everything should be in order so I do not expect any issues.

JFK has these big atm looking machines that allow you to check in with your passport first. Hopefully that will quicken things up.

Thanks

Go through the US citizen/passport line. They will stamp your passport and you inform them your wife has an immigrant visa and needs secondary. No need to go to the foreigner line. If in doubt, just ask someone once you arrive.

• 4 weeks later...
Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

Been awhile! We are here in the US for a couple weeks so far!

Going through JFK was not bad though we had to go through the foreign immigration line to go together and we did have to wait but i think it took us about an hour to be through the airport in total.

I would not recommend flying Emirates though.. Asiana was way better. It was another long and brutal flight over 12 hours. The first flight was over 9 hours with about 7 hours in Suadi.. We made it and are settled in here pretty good. We got health insurance pretty fast thanks to the afa and we saw the doctor for the first time last week..all good so far!

Loving hot showers, fast internet and no chickens and smoke! I do miss the Philippines though!!!

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 3/30/2016 at 5:13 PM, Jack Peterson said:

He means of course, "CONGRATULATIONS!" Forgetting that some of us ACTUAL speak English :whistling:

Ohhh those Colonials Jack!!!!

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Richieboy67 said:

Been awhile! We are here in the US for a couple weeks so far!

Going through JFK was not bad though we had to go through the foreign immigration line to go together and we did have to wait but i think it took us about an hour to be through the airport in total.

I would not recommend flying Emirates though.. Asiana was way better. It was another long and brutal flight over 12 hours. The first flight was over 9 hours with about 7 hours in Suadi.. We made it and are settled in here pretty good. We got health insurance pretty fast thanks to the afa and we saw the doctor for the first time last week..all good so far!

Loving hot showers, fast internet and no chickens and smoke! I do miss the Philippines though!!!

Congratulations. Glad to hear that all went well and the two of you can now focus on getting ready for the baby.

• Like 1