Cebu City Safe As A Whole For An American?

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

As someone else said, Filipinas are very protective of their men. My wife hardly lets me go to the beach alone, but I suspect that is because she worries I will meet another girl :)

So she will not let you go to an unsafe area and certainly like any other metro area in the world, you don't want to be in back alleys at 3:00AM.

All this being said I never found myself feeling unsafe in Cebu City. Exhausted from the traffic and pollution? Yes. Feeling unsafe - no.

Most Americans tend to believe that anywhere in the world outside the U.S. is unsafe; that's why they rarely go. There are certainly plenty of unsafe places in the Philippines, just as there are anywhere in the world (even the US). So go, be cautious and have fun.

I know you didn't ask for dating advise, but as an experienced Internet dater who did eventually marry a wonderful Filipina (after encountering a not so wonderful Filipina) I would advise you to try not to fall in love before meeting her. But I know that is hard - or at least something's hard. They are very compelling and if you find the right one you will be a very happy man.

Edited by davewe
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

I met a girl i love on okcupid and she lives in cebu city. I live in the USA. I plan to visit her in may, she says Cebu City is safe and i believe her. But my coworkers keep saying the philippines is bad, and that my life is at risk if i go there. What i keep telling them that it is mindanao that is not safe i guess according to the travel warnings posted by the US government, but they keep saying don't go. Now do you people who live in cebu city who is an american feel safe in cebu city? are the natives friendly?

Cebu City in general is quite safe. Like any large city there are a few areas that host unsavory places and people.

Traffic is highly congested at times. Chaotic unusual driving habits are the norm. Many public transit (Cabs & Jeepneys) are marginal to outright death traps. I would say transportation is the most dangerous thing affecting your visit, just use common sense. Many of the buses you see drive full throttle and rule the road they slow for nothing killing people daily.  

Many of my coworkers think I'm out of my mind to visit Philippines they think it's like Afghanistan or something. Not true. A few close coworkers know I'm nuts but that is off topic.

The natives are friendly. :thumbsup:

Filipinos are truly some of the kindest people you will ever meet. It's true there are a small number who will take advantage of you so be aware of that. Treat Filipinos with respect and kindness you will get the same in return 10000%

Many Filipinas are interested to have a Foreigner as a boy friend who could become a good husband. A few Filipinas or cross dressing Filipinos would love to have a Foreigner as their personal ATM machine some of those are very very good at playing games in that manner.

There are a number of great posts here to do with your situation but not your exact questions from Expats living there. I suggest you read and carefully consider what they are sharing with you. They have some wise thoughts.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I met a girl i love on okcupid and she lives in cebu city. I live in the USA. I plan to visit her in may

Your opened yourself up for dating advice even though this is not what you asked for in this topic. I'm not going to give you online dating advice but I am concerned as you obviously never been to the Philippines before and are only planning a 7 day visit from what you said in another topic so as much as it is an inconvenience to me I propose you stay home, pay for my flight and I will check out the lovely lady myself and report back to you.

Save yourself a lot of hassle won't it.   :thumbsup:

Ahhh JGF,

Your generosity is exceeded only by your good looks!!!!!

• Like 3

Lou49
Posted
Posted

Cebu city is safe for foreigners. Just use your common sense like u would anywhere else in the world. Stay in a decent hotel with 24 hour security and a room safe etc. Taxis are cheap, don't walk anywhere till u get the lay of the land. Meet your gf somewhere like one of the major malls such as Ayala or SM, totally safe places to meet and eat. Don't be afraid to ask " stupid " questions here. You will get mostly sound advice from long timers and frequent visitors. Good luck.

• Like 5

kalibojerry
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Yankee

I have been here in the Philippines since March 2013, this is a great Forum and some wonder full members who will help you as much as they can, i have asked and have got some great advise, some of the post you have gotten they have given you some great advise, I just want you to remember when it comes to money that you have saved over the years you worked for it and not your new lady or her family, remember they were doing just fine before you came into there lives, remember the word respect that goes both ways my friend  I am from Calif, Monterey Peninsula just south of SF.  I have a lovely Lady i met here and she all ways has my back, which I am very thankful you can email me if you want and I will do my best to help you with any questions you may have

my email at

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
please do not post email, use PM system
  • Like 2

GregZ
Posted
Posted (edited)

I met a girl i love on okcupid and she lives in cebu city. I live in the USA. I plan to visit her in may, she says Cebu City is safe.... Now do you people who live in cebu city who is an american feel safe in cebu city? are the natives friendly?

YES.

I lived in Cebu City for 1.5 years. I went for walks regularly BY MYSELF. I stayed away from BAD areas. I always varied my walking routes and times as an anti-terrorist tactic, not that I ever felt threatened. I rode jeepney to the mall and took a taxi home, when I had stuff of value with me.

That was 2 years ago. I return to Cebu City next Friday. I will be there for 5 months and have no doubt about my safety. I do not wear jewelry nor flash cash. I live in Guadalupe, near the Capitol and go to Ayala on foot. I have walked to SM but do not recommend it from where I live. I go to Metro Giasanno mall by jeepney and taxi home.

This is all about me. You won't do these things in your first week. I just share that I never had a problem, big or small, doing all these things.

Ask any dissenting coworker or other person if they have been there. If not, discount their opinion. If you'll read here, you will also note that Mindanao has its good and bad places.

No relationship advise. ..... You did not ask.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Edited by GregZ
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

My niece told my wife that I would be kidnapped by ladies of the eving if I walked to Mamgo Square, they found me at the Irsh Pub after a 90 minute hunt. The next evening out with friends I stood at the corner jumped up and down and yelled "Take me, take me" alas no one wanted an overwieght old person. Maybe you will have better luck.

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

I met a girl i love on okcupid and she lives in cebu city. I live in the USA. I plan to visit her in may, she says Cebu City is safe and i believe her. But my coworkers keep saying the philippines is bad, and that my life is at risk if i go there. What i keep telling them that it is mindanao that is not safe i guess according to the travel warnings posted by the US government, but they keep saying don't go. Now do you people who live in cebu city who is an american feel safe in cebu city? are the natives friendly?

I have been living in Cebu City off and on for a few years now. It is just like any other large city, there are good suburbs and bad suburbs, There are also areas that a kano would not want to walk alone at night. Just my two cents worth.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I lived there for over a year and never had any serious problems but as mike said some places are best left alone after dark.Ask your co-workers how many times they have been. Any town/ city anywhere(with a sizable population) in the world is pretty much the same.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

To be honest? With all the threats and terrorist activities going on throughout the rest of the world at the moment? You're probably safer in Cebu than at home... As for local crime? Crime in the Philippines is more by opportunity than by planned crime... Pickpockets are quite available for your pleasure... Get a travel wallet, keep money in various hard to reach into pockets, etc... Me? Never had a problem... In fact, the most danger I felt in Cebu was in the SM Appliance Store to buy an iron... The young girls working there? Too dangerous for me!

:D

• Like 1