Foods I Sorely Miss

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Anyways, now I'm hungry. "Honey Ko! What's for dinner? Is that fried fish I smell?" Oh well (sigh) time to eat.

Luv it, LUV IT, Keep Dreaming Ron

Jack  :thumbsup:

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Ron ole son, I know you post is meant to be semi tounge in cheek, and boy do I agree with you.

Having said that......After a year-18 months I found my satisfaction level going way down. After a run to Guam I figured out for me the problem was (like you said) my comfort foods.

Have you tried S&R? The membership (price club type) store. I have found that there is nothing like whipping up Mom's old Macaroni and cheese (right out of the Kraft foods  box) to brighten up a day. I buy Texas chili by the case (only way to buy it, you buy it by the can and next week, yep you guessed it "out of stock")

I also buy corn tortillas and make tacos from a recipe my sister sent me.

Like you I am used to running down to the store and buying some Grade A beef. S&R has frozen Aussie, Kiwi and American Beef a bit pricy but I have found that Montana beef brand they have there is pretty good.

Hot pockets, White Castle hamburgers, beef and bean burritos, chimichangas, all frozen, buy hey! we do live in SE Asia, ya cant have everything :hystery: .

Other stuff, I get the ingredients and make stuff myself, Pasta, lasagna, quesadillas, sometimes just a plain grilled cheese sandwiches.

As the old saying goes, an army marches on its stomach, also I believe a mans sanity :thumbsup:

Good luck brother

• Like 5

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I am in Iloilo - we have few grocery options...and our restaurants are not much either.... Luckily I am finding as I get close to my 3 year mark here, I miss less and less.  Occasionally I could go for Taco Bell ha ha. 

Really I can cook most anything I miss.  The hardest to replace here would be a good submarine sandwich.  There is good luncheon meat available but horrendously priced.  Good luck on finding decent lettuce, real tomatoes, and pickles.  Assuming you can find good bread (luckily I can)

The main thing I miss is just being able to go out and know I can get whatever I want to eat.  We have Mexican, Thai, and Indian food - but they are so bland they are not the same at all.  That is why I love Boracay so much.  There are so many expats cooking I can stop almost anywhere along the beach and get a good lunch.  :tiphat:

• Like 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Where I am, I would consider cheese and decent bread to be the most lacking. Another one I find hard is lack of fresh herbs, the only herb that sometimes appears is parsley, which to me, seems the most unlikely one for this part of the world.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Where I am, I would consider cheese and decent bread to be the most lacking.

You and me Both

Jack :thumbsup:

• Like 3

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

You and me Both

Yeah I will join your club. Also for me,

a good sandwich.

a good meat pie, sausage roll or even a pastie.

Fresh milk.

Decent Steak

Cold meats from the deli.

Good apples and oranges and a good variety of fruit.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

a good meat pie, sausage roll or even a pastie.

What a Pity you are not in Dumaguete, Pies we can get Sausage Rolls pasties You name it we can get it, English Made Fresh every Day, Pork Pies at the End of Each Month YUM, YUM, post-2148-0-56832100-1447147189.jpg Sorry didn't ,mean to make your mouth water. :)  Lincoln sausages as well, But maybe Sonjack will chime in I think he has a supplier too. ( Well super sausages anyway)

• Like 2

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

You and me Both

If you like a strong cheddar then SM supermarket do a very good strong tasting cheddar. It called Mainland Vintage which is from Oz.

I too miss the great range of breads we get back home. Especially the seeded batch variety. If you like Italian breads then the Italianies chain of restaurants will sell freshly baked breads that they serve in their restaurant. Not badly priced either.

Ken

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

You and me Both

If you like a strong cheddar then SM supermarket do a very good strong tasting cheddar. It called Mainland Vintage which is from Oz.

I too miss the great range of breads we get back home. Especially the seeded batch variety. If you like Italian breads then the Italianies chain of restaurants will sell freshly baked breads that they serve in their restaurant. Not badly priced either.

Ken

That is the one thing we lack here is SM, As it stands Robinsons have a hold on things and SM just can't seem to get a location that will Suit and Dumaguete City hall don't seem to be helping. 2 Robinsons but No SM OH! we have one of their Small things but it is not the same. We can get what I call Proper Bread but you have to get up early and Travel freaking Miles to get it.post-2148-0-08891000-1447148896.png

jack :)