Foods I Sorely Miss

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

As a follow up to my Lessons Learned after 5 Months in the Philippines post. I would like to relate the foods I truly miss since being here. There are alot of sandwiches on the list, as that seems to be the one food item completely overlooked by the Filipinos. Unless you count two slices of bread slathered with Cheez-Wiz. Someone needs to open a New York style deli near my house.

- Reuben Sandwich. Rye bread piled high with thin sliced corned beef, extra sauerkraut and plenty of Thousand Island dressing on the side.

- Hot Pastrami on rye with swiss cheese, carmelized onions and brown mustard.

- French Dip. Thin sliced roast beef on a French roll with a big cup of au jus for dipping.

- Philly Cheese Steak. Anyway you like it.

- Beef and bean burrito. Smothered in green chili. Covered with shredded lettuce, tomato and shredded cheddar cheese.

- Tacos! Although I have found taco shells and taco seasoning for the ground beef. I can't find taco sauce anywhere.

- A good ol', left over from Thankgiving, roast turkey sandwich with sliced tomatoes and plenty of mayo.

- A good steak. I had a couple of decent steaks at a restarant in Barrio Baretta Subic. But forget running to the super market to get a couple of T-bones to throw on the BBQ.

- Meat Loaf with mashed potatoes and brown gravy. You can't make a meat loaf if you don't have an oven. And you can't make mashed potatoes if you don't have milk.

- Real ham and eggs. Not the fried lucheon meat they call ham here.

- BBQ chicken with homemade potato salad. I have found the ingredients and aquired them to make this but I haven't yet. I don't have a BBQ (yet)

Anyways, now I'm hungry. "Honey Ko! What's for dinner? Is that fried fish I smell?" Oh well (sigh) time to eat.

Ron

3. Roast lamb and leftovers.

Aha, makes me wonder how I lived without a roast lamb dinner and the next day the cold meat on thick fresh bread with loads of butter. This would be my last meal if I was ever asked, but all things being equal, the things I miss I know I would still rather live here.

• Like 2

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

Where I am, I would consider cheese and decent bread to be the most lacking.

You and me Both

Jack :thumbsup:

If you like a strong cheddar then SM supermarket do a very good strong tasting cheddar. It called Mainland Vintage which is from Oz.

I too miss the great range of breads we get back home. Especially the seeded batch variety. If you like Italian breads then the Italianies chain of restaurants will sell freshly baked breads that they serve in their restaurant. Not badly priced either.

Ken

That is the one thing we lack here is SM, As it stands Robinsons have a hold on things and SM just can't seem to get a location that will Suit and Dumaguete City hall don't seem to be helping. 2 Robinsons but No SM OH! we have one of their Small things but it is not the same. We can get what I call Proper Bread but you have to get up early and Travel freaking Miles to get it.attachicon.gifgrumpy.png

jack :)

If you have a Shopwise or Rustans supermarket they also stock the Mainland Vintage cheddar, together with a strong Danish Blue, similar to our Stilton back in the UK. Robinsons, unfortunately stock neither.

Ken

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

As a follow up to my Lessons Learned after 5 Months in the Philippines post. I would like to relate the foods I truly miss since being here. There are alot of sandwiches on the list, as that seems to be the one food item completely overlooked by the Filipinos. Unless you count two slices of bread slathered with Cheez-Wiz. Someone needs to open a New York style deli near my house.

- Reuben Sandwich. Rye bread piled high with thin sliced corned beef, extra sauerkraut and plenty of Thousand Island dressing on the side.

- Hot Pastrami on rye with swiss cheese, carmelized onions and brown mustard.

- French Dip. Thin sliced roast beef on a French roll with a big cup of au jus for dipping.

- Philly Cheese Steak. Anyway you like it.

- Beef and bean burrito. Smothered in green chili. Covered with shredded lettuce, tomato and shredded cheddar cheese.

- Tacos! Although I have found taco shells and taco seasoning for the ground beef. I can't find taco sauce anywhere.

- A good ol', left over from Thankgiving, roast turkey sandwich with sliced tomatoes and plenty of mayo.

- A good steak. I had a couple of decent steaks at a restarant in Barrio Baretta Subic. But forget running to the super market to get a couple of T-bones to throw on the BBQ.

- Meat Loaf with mashed potatoes and brown gravy. You can't make a meat loaf if you don't have an oven. And you can't make mashed potatoes if you don't have milk.

- Real ham and eggs. Not the fried lucheon meat they call ham here.

- BBQ chicken with homemade potato salad. I have found the ingredients and aquired them to make this but I haven't yet. I don't have a BBQ (yet)

Anyways, now I'm hungry. "Honey Ko! What's for dinner? Is that fried fish I smell?" Oh well (sigh) time to eat.

Ron

3. Roast lamb and leftovers.

Aha, makes me wonder how I lived without a roast lamb dinner and the next day the cold meat on thick fresh bread with loads of butter. This would be my last meal if I was ever asked, but all things being equal, the things I miss I know I would still rather live here.

Chris check out belcris it is not too far from you it is in Mandaue go online and you can find the address it is not far from twin bridges mall

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Well I can give you all 2 names of places and you can google them they do most of what you seem to be looking for. Swiss deli and belcris i have used in the past and still do.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

2 others I just thought of which are in Lioan north of Cebu city. Schafers german bar kilometer 19 on the national highway he does a lot of european foodstuffs and eurobread for deli meats and bread which is also in Liloan

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Talking off Food, did we ever discover anywhere we can get Double cream?

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Belcris do a cooking cream  and a whipping cream I don`t know if that is any good.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Belcris do a cooking cream  and a whipping cream I don`t know if that is any good.

I guess it depends on what they call/consider Cooking Cream, nearly all the recipes say "Double cream" but................ :)

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Talking off Food, did we ever discover anywhere we can get Double cream?

Ooh JackP, you're such a teaser.  I thought you asked about getting double creamed?  Well, it is related to the topic and part of the basic food groups, especially the ones that come in pairs.....he, he.