Jeepneys, How Do They Work?

RBM
Posted
Posted

Don't converse with the other passengers and avoid body contact, it is considered rude like an invasion of privacy.

Pray tell me how on earth can one avoid body contact on a Cebu jeepney.

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Do Filipino's on jeepney's engage in any kind of conversation with people they don't know?

OH! Yes. It is a good source of Tsismis. You throw in a Area then a family name and "Bobs your Uncle" Before you Know you have arrived and never noticed the Bumps and Bad Driving. and people learned things they never knew before  :thumbsup:

I guess this is why Dumaguete and Area is far more Friendly that other places We  read about.

'A Stranger can become a Friend equally, as a Friend can become a Stranger '

We have some Friends Azon met this way and because of one of them, we got a Good Electrician.

Jack :)

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Easy way.....................sit down hand 8 pesos (here in Manila), ride until you get to where you want to go..........if you are riding for a loooooooooooooong time, and someone makes gestures for more money, hand over another 8 pesos,,,repeat until your where you need to go.

Yes it is a bit of a flippant answer, but trust me it works.

As usual Scott, thanks for the sanity check!

So, to summarise:

1.  Act like you don't have a clue, they'll help.

2.  Use the "kano" factor to maximum benefit.

3.  Take a good looking lady and plant her in the front seat with the driver but deny all association with her.

4.  7-10 pesos "per leg" but there may not be legs.

5.  If there are not "legs" just hand over some more change when they ask.

6.  Be friendly but don't engage anyone in conversation.  

7.  The fewer official routes the better.  When they appear, it becomes more like the public transport we all know and love here in the West. 

8.  Be short.

9.  Give up all notions of personal space.

10.  Expect the usual Phils potential imminent catastrophe and make sure your will is in order. 

Did I miss anything?

I have never had an issue or been concerned about this. Others have reported you should make sure your valuables/cash are secure.

Jeepney's I have ridden have their fee's listed inside so there should be no question for normal city route jeepney's what to pay. The fee listing will include discounts for senior citizen's and students.

Jeepney's for different routes have different "terminals" often just alley's or curb side where they can queue up. So you need to ask someone where the jeepney's queue for your destination.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Don't converse with the other passengers and avoid body contact, it is considered rude like an invasion of privacy.

Pray tell me how on earth can one avoid body contact on a Cebu jeepney.

I thought I clarified it earlier. I mean indavertent touching. 

And as for conversation, that's using the free pass given to foreigners especially if alone. Do any of you do it if the wife is with you? And do the Filipino's chit chat to people they don't know?

Edited by chris49

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I mean indavertent touching. 

:unsure: Chris do you mean Deliberate Touching as against  Inadvertently touching because  I don't think anyone could help this.

Deliberate of course, we would all agree with you on this I hope! Is a Very Big No No. :)

Jack :thumbsup:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

If you have an android phone, there is an app for jeepneys in Cebu. It comes up as a map, you select your start and end points and it tells you the Jeepney numbers, time it takes, maps the route and gives you the name of the cutie sitting beside you... Sorry, don't remember the name but just search for jeepneys and Cebu and you'll find it...

Here in Davao, I am very fussy with which jeepneys I get on... I like the older ones the size of a small bus... Because the newer ones all seem to be built on a Suzuki multicab... Some of them have roofs so low that I have to bend over in my seat until my head seems to be in the lap of the young lass sitting across from me... :)

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted

I mean indavertent touching.

:unsure: Chris do you mean Deliberate Touching as against  Inadvertently touching because  I don't think anyone could help this.

Deliberate of course, we would all agree with you on this I hope! Is a Very Big No No. :)

Jack :thumbsup:

Between 4-----8pm it's almost impossible to find room in a jeepney, if one is fortunate be prepared to be a sardine. Personally have never heard from any females about being molested on a jeep, honestly they are so crammed full it would be almost impossible.

Month ago I spent an hour on Jones choking on fumes trying to get a jeep or taxi. Ended up like many walking to Alaya. Not easy with broken sidewalks, crazy motor cycles trying to run one down. Just think how great it is no longer living in Cebu.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Month ago I spent an hour on Jones choking on fumes trying to get a jeep or taxi. Ended up like many walking to Alaya. Not easy with broken sidewalks, crazy motor cycles trying to run one down. Just think how great it is no longer living in Cebu.

That's how I feel and I only visit. maybe go about twice a year, if that. Morning in Afternoon out, if all goes well.

Jack :tiphat: