Informal Poll - What Did You Bring (Or Wish You Had) To Pi?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Talking to my Wife last night and hearing her moan about mending cloths and things, Good sewing needles and decent Linen Thread.

Maybe not at the top of the list maybe but........... :)  A Ladies views and thoughts are always very handy, we guys never think of the Simple but sometimes important things when needed.

Jack :thumbsup:  

Edited to correct a couple of little things.  :hystery:

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 3

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

In addition to things previously mentioned, I brought over a good quality pure sine wave inverter and intelligent battery charger to make a UPS. Deep Cycle batteries you can get here. My good lady teaches English online for a Taiwanese school and it keeps the internet going, plus lights and a fan for a couple of hours, in the event of a brown out during her lessons. You can get UPS here but the cheap ones are crap, and the good ones eye wateringly expensive.

Ken

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

For us Aussies, numerous bottles of Vegemite is a must!

Brits like that also but we call it marmite. I had a jar now and it has lasted over a year.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Brits like that also but we call it marmite. I had a jar now and it has lasted over a year.

post-2148-0-13844900-1447297227.jpg  :hystery:  Are you ready for the Ozz Backlash Kev?

Just asking?

Jack :)

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Gentlemen. GREAT STUFF!  Keep it coming.  Most of these I have covered, good knives, most of my hand tools, kitchenware, prescription meds, new laptop and new GSM dual-sim phones.  French press, breadmaker and OTC meds great suggestions, mousetraps are hilarious but will consider.  We'll have dogs but I suppose the critters could sneak through.

What else?

Not just GSM but international phone that supports the international AND USA data bands. What I found was that a phone bought in the US didn't work well for data in the Philippines and a phone bought in the Philippines didn't work well in the US for data. Also make sure the phone are unlocked. 

jkeenan213
Posted
Posted

Got the phones.  Two unlocked Nokia (Microsoft) Lumia 535 Dual SIM 850/900/1800/1900 GSM phones.  Nice phones for $90. Moved us to t-Mobile here in the interim.  Magic Jack on it's way.

jkeenan213
Posted
Posted

And Huggybearman, how big of a sine wave converter?

davewe
Posted
Posted

One thing is: bring tools but not any requiring electricity.

I agree with bringing your tools.  I would also bring the small electric and cordless tools and buy an inverter when you get here.  Quality tools are expensive here and not so easy to find.  Some other items that are expensive or difficult to find:

I'd like to explore this a bit more. I am a vintage hand tool nut and have spent the past couple years downsizing my collection in anticipation of my move. After all many of my Disston saws won't fit in a BB box, my braces are heavy, etc. As an amateur guitar maker I will be taking many of my fave small luthier tools which I know I can't replace in the Philippines.

So for the 1st time in 20 years I am wanting to buy power tools, assuming I have a better selection and better quality in the US. You know, basic stuff like cordless drills. But should I buy them now and bring them over and then use some sort of converter or just wait and get lesser quality in PI?

• Like 2

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

And Huggybearman, how big of a sine wave converter?

Its a 1000 watt PSW inverter. As mentioned it will run the internet, laptop, fan and a couple of lights for a couple of hours down to 50% battery capacity. (12v/100ah deep cycle). I also brought over a thing called a Smartgauge which is a very accurate battery state of charge indicator to monitor remaining battery capacity.

It will also run our Smart led Tv, a couple of low powered lights, cable tv box or dvd and a fan for a couple of hours also down to 50%. If you flatten the battery too much you will reduce its life considerably over time, so 50% is a good compromise.

Ken

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

One of the things I really miss but haven't found over here is pure sparking water. I used to drink a lot of it in Thailand where its readily available at about 7 baht a bottle. They dont seem to sell it all over here, exept for imported Perrier water at 63 php for a small bottle. The nearest I can find is imported Schweppes Soda Water at 28 php a can, but that has Bi-carbonate of soda in it which gives it a bit of a noticable taste.

On my last visit to the UK I sent over a Sodastream unit which gives me endless pure carbonated sparkling water at about 15 php per litre.

Absolute heaven, especially ice cold from the fridge!

Ken

• Like 2