New Camera

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Love your Nikon AW-120.  That 2.8 lens is still pretty good capturing low light conditions (you didn't use the flash) of your beautiful Katy in the shade.  I really like the slow and fast motion video recording, all in vivid high definition.  

Thank you for sharing Don!  post-686-0-22574200-1447268362_thumb.png Camo skin

PS -- where would you go for underwater photography?  Somewhere inside the base or up in the beaches near Barrio Barretto?    

Edited by Jake
  • Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
Katy in front of the chapel, slo mo

OMW

It's easy to spot a winner :thumbsup:

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I have no idea which one to go for , but me liking the Nikon brand thats the one i would chose, its all down to what you really want and what you think you may want,

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
PS -- where would you go for underwater photography?  Somewhere inside the base or up in the beaches near Barrio Barretto?

Camayan beach has decent snorkeling and the cleanest water in the area.  It normally costs p300 to get in but I bought an annual membership the past 2 years so it is free after paying that.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I bought the significant other a camera 9 months ago and she is thrilled with it. An Olympus Penlite E-PLS whatever that means.

All I know is, I turn it on, take off the cap cover, get the subject matter somewhere near the middle, press the button and it works = bloody marvelous 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I bought the significant other a camera 9 months ago and she is thrilled with it. An Olympus Penlite E-PLS whatever that means.

All I know is, I turn it on, take off the cap cover, get the subject matter somewhere near the middle, press the button and it works = bloody marvelous 

I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Olympus because my first digital camera was an Olympus C-2100 UZ.  They were a step ahead of Nikon and Canon when it came to digital back then.  2 mp with a big 10X zoom lens sticking out of it.  Only 2 mp but it took really nice shots, both zoom and macro.  Based on the dates on Amazon, I probably bought it in the late 90's.  Check out the reviews on Amazon.  A guy there said in 2010 he had his for 13 years!  I passed mine down to my niece and and she passed it to her daughter.

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-C-2100-Digital-Camera-Optical/product-reviews/B00004Y2MM/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewopt_srt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=recent&reviewerType=all_reviews&pageNumber=1

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Well, the Nikon AW 120 lasted a bit short of 2 years.  I had always worried about it when using it in water because a lot of complaints in the Amazon reviews were because about it leaking.  And it finally did leak.  We went for an overnighter at the beach Sat evening / Sun morning, and as soon as I was in the water the display started acting funny, then went black.  However, I could hear it focusing and still taking pictures, so I continued to use it until Sunday morning, when the whole camera went dead.

I was always very careful about making sure the seal on the little door was clean before closing it, but it ended up being the display that leaked.  A common complaint on Amazon.  I am out of warranty so I don't think I will try to have it repaired.  I think I will try the Olympus TZ series this next time.

20170918_062622 (2).jpg

Here are the last decent pics taken with the AW 120.  R.I.P.  Except for the first few, they were taken without a display or viewfinder, so I was just aiming and shooting.

DSCN5372_(2).JPG DSCN5375_(2).JPG

DSCN5387_(2).JPG DSCN5430 (2).JPG

DSCN5432_(2).JPG DSCN5438_(2).JPG

DSCN5441_(2).JPG DSCN5451_(2).JPG

DSCN5456 (2).JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I've got the Olympus TG-4 (Tough Series) and rate it highly. The battery lasts a decent amount of time and with the wifi it's great to transfer the photos to your phone for forwarding quickly. I have had a n issue transferring videos to my phone. It says it's downloaded but it hasn't. I'm thinking it's my phone as on an older phone it worked fine. I was going to upload an underwater video but it's over 66mb. The video is crystal clear.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I've got the Olympus TG-4 (Tough Series) and rate it highly. The battery lasts a decent amount of time and with the wifi it's great to transfer the photos to your phone for forwarding quickly. I have had a n issue transferring videos to my phone. It says it's downloaded but it hasn't. I'm thinking it's my phone as on an older phone it worked fine. I was going to upload an underwater video but it's over 66mb. The video is crystal clear.

Yes, I meant TG, not TZ.  My friend has some amazing underwater shots with the TG-3.  He bought a UW housing for it so he can take it SCUBA diving in addition to snorkeling.

How is the TG-4 for indoor and in low light indoors?  The Nikon was poor at getting sharp pictures in those conditions.