Any Help On Sizing A Generator

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted (edited)

Honda eu10i

That looks like a nice compact unit. Where did you buy it and how much?

I got it from the local Honda Power Products dealer here in CDO. Its not cheap, around 45k php but I had one in the UK for many years on my boat. A superb piece of equipment. Always starts first pull of the cord, very quiet, light weight to carry around, and is a pure sine wave output so will run any type of electrical equipment without problem. Up to its rated output of course. I know you can get cheap chinese ones, but they are inferior quality, modified sine wave, so sensitive equipment wont like it, and usually unreliable. And NOISEY!

Ken

Edited by Huggybearman
  • Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Honda eu10i

That looks like a nice compact unit. Where did you buy it and how much?

I got it from the local Honda Power Products dealer here in CDO. Its not cheap, around 45k php but I had one in the UK for many years on my boat. A superb piece of equipment. Always starts first pull of the cord, very quiet, light weight to carry around, and is a pure sine wave output so will run any type of electrical equipment without problem. Up to its rated output of course. I know you can get cheap chinese ones, but they are inferior quality, modified sine wave, so sensitive equipment wont like it, and usually unreliable. And NOISEY!

Ken

I love Honda engines!  They always start first pull and are worth the extra money!

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Maybe this deserves a separate thread, but I have a related question. What about housing for the generator? A generator has to be run outside the house, so I imagine most people have a miniature shed or some other permanent arrangement to protect the generator from the elements while providing sufficient ventilation.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Maybe this deserves a separate thread, but I have a related question. What about housing for the generator? A generator has to be run outside the house, so I imagine most people have a miniature shed or some other permanent arrangement to protect the generator from the elements while providing sufficient ventilation.

For me, I used to keep my 6.5 HP just inside the door of the tool shed and when needed I would drag it out the door.  It was a bit heavy so I put wheels on it to move it in and out easy.

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

We run it under the car port, but you would need to run it somewhere protected from the rain.

Ken

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

For me, I used to keep my 6.5 HP just inside the door of the tool shed and when needed I would drag it out the door.  It was a bit heavy so I put wheels on it to move it in and out easy.

I had a Craftsman with a 6.5 HP B&S in Florida.  I kept it in the garage and would roll it outside during a hurricane.  It would be a bit under the eaves but still got wet.  Never a problem.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I had a Craftsman with a 6.5 HP B&S in Florida.  I kept it in the garage and would roll it outside during a hurricane.  It would be a bit under the eaves but still got wet.  Never a problem.

I was reminded I have some old videos.  2005, hurricane Wilma in Florida.  You can see the generator in the lower right.  That was quite a storm!

https://goo.gl/photos/zRjZYZW3a6tPAQUA6

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Any time you buy something to create power or energy you should work the most you will use at one time and add 10% that should be sufficient to keep you going.

• Like 1

CMike357
Posted
Posted

Don't forget you will also need a transfer switch. It cuts the grid power to your home so you don't back feed to the grid and zap a lineman.  I just wired mine to the breaker box and the circuits I want to use.  Turn off the main breaker, plug 30 amp cord from generator to the transfer switch.  and run the items you have it hooked up to. I run the refrigerator, ceiling fans, everything associated with the tv, modem and a few lights. I am not in the PI right now but will be looking at a setup something like this when I get back over there.

• Like 1