Bigger Is Better - Motorcycles

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I'm not really in the market to buy a motorcycle right now, but if I buy a bike in the future I need something that will get me up the hills in our area.  I don't think I would want a real big bike like a Harley for just tooling around town, but I always wanted a motocross style street bike to get around on.  I have seen a few guys around with them but didn't get a good look at the bikes.

I was just on the Honda website and they have the CRF 250 and that probably fits the bill, for p230,000.

http://www.hondaph.com/product/motorcycle/sports/CRF250L/#power-products

I mentioned in the generator thread that I went to American Hardware last night.  They have around 6 brand new Husqvarna 650cc 4 stroke water cooled bikes, for p325000.  They are a big tall bike but must be a lot heavier than the Honda 250.  I'm not sure how the warranty and servicing would be on those.  They must be a past year model as I don't see them on the Husky web site.

Any suggestions on these types of bikes in the Philippines?  I don't see many around.  Most of the motorcycles are scooters that can barely get a small Filipino up the hills by us.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

I got a friend with a Harley he would sell for about half a million pesos or so.  If that gets you cranked I could try and find a pic to post and get in touch to see if he is in country and still has it for sale.  He bought a newer one.

(You would have to travel to Leyte to go get it but if you love Harleys it would be worth the trip)

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Good morning Don,

I think your neighbor Jon1 rides a big street bike.  Hopefully, he will chime in.  My main concern in purchasing big ticket items is the after sales service -- warranty service and what parts have high failure rates and if those parts are readily available.  

I remember that hill leading up to your community of Kalayaan (formally USN officer's country).  Perhaps when you get that Honda 250, you can trail blaze your own shortcut......he, he.  Looks nice, street legal off road machine.  Are you planning to get some air?

Ride 'em cowboy!  

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I got a friend with a Harley he would sell for about half a million pesos or so.  If that gets you cranked I could try and find a pic to post and get in touch to see if he is in country and still has it for sale.  He bought a newer one.

(You would have to travel to Leyte to go get it but if you love Harleys it would be worth the trip)

I like Harleys and big bikes, but they are not very practical for what I would use if for.  There are a lot of Harley's in this area, especially Angeles.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Are you planning to get some air?

This is actually part of the big obstacle.  I loved riding in the dirt and might get a bit wild.  The last time I was on a dirt bike was in my 20's and I sprained my ankle that last time.  That was not a big deal back then and I had sprains, bumps and bruises from sports all the time.  Now I am 59.  My mind still thinks I am in my teens.  Dangerous combination!

Actually Abby brought up getting a bike to take our daughter to school on.  I put about 28 km per day on the SUV on the AM and PM school runs.  That gets expensive.  I told her I didn't think it was a good idea, safety wise.  She said, just drive slow.  Maybe I need to borrow a bike and see if I have mellowed.

I think your neighbor Jon1 rides a big street bike.

Yes, Jon has an absolutely gorgeous V-rod and if I ever got a big bike, a V-rod, rather than a cruiser, would be more my style.  I can only dream.

• Like 1

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have an expat friend (near Duma) that likely will sell his Kawasaki Rouser 200NS (2K kilometers on it) if you want to keep the spending down. I'll PM his e-mail if you would consider. He's a straight shooter too.

Edited by Hey Steve
  • Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

The husky terra 650 is a nice bike. It's actually a revamped BMW engine and very quick. Also great dirt bike. It can be lowered by a simple link which is necessary for most people. Cost around P5k to lower.

The only known slight fault is flat spot upon acceleration, once one has had enough experience this can be over come. They perform well especially off road and yes no problem with back up as KTM are pretty much everywhere.

My close friend and myself ride regularly, he keeps up with me (1200 Tenere) quite easily. For a big thumper they are outstanding and excellent value for money, just a shame not tubeless.

• Like 2

Mike In Canada
Posted
Posted

I purchased a Yamaha Mio Soul 125 fully automatic when I arrived for my annual vacation last year. For me its very easy to drive around the province and fast enough (100km/hour). I think I paid about 95,000 pesos.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

The husky terra 650 is a nice bike. It's actually a revamped BMW engine and very quick. Also great dirt bike. It can be lowered by a simple link which is necessary for most people. Cost around P5k to lower.

The only known slight fault is flat spot upon acceleration, once one has had enough experience this can be over come. They perform well especially off road and yes no problem with back up as KTM are pretty much everywhere.

My close friend and myself ride regularly, he keeps up with me (1200 Tenere) quite easily. For a big thumper they are outstanding and excellent value for money, just a shame not tubeless.

Yes, I think that is the bike he has.  Seems like p325,000 is not a bad price for the Philippines.  He has one marked sold.

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/husqvarna/2013-husqvarna-tr-650-terra-ar139732.html

I don't understand:

"yes no problem with back up as KTM are pretty much everywhere."

What is KTM?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
What is KTM?

I wondered too, so I did a search of the forum and:

I have owned a fair number of big bikes over here over the years: two BMWs (1150GS and 1200GS), a Vstrom 1000, Fazer 1000, Kawasaki Versys and Yamaha Super Tenere 1200, as well as a number of runarounds. At the present time you can get officially imported bikes from Kawasaki, Ducati, KTM, Suzuki, BMW and Husqvarna.
  • Like 1