Bigger Is Better - Motorcycles

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

What is KTM?

I wondered too, so I did a search of the forum and:

I have owned a fair number of big bikes over here over the years: two BMWs (1150GS and 1200GS), a Vstrom 1000, Fazer 1000, Kawasaki Versys and Yamaha Super Tenere 1200, as well as a number of runarounds. At the present time you can get officially imported bikes from Kawasaki, Ducati, KTM, Suzuki, BMW and Husqvarna.

Yeah, but what I wondering is, KTM services and/or supplies parts for Husky?

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted (edited)

Not sure about the Husky, but KTMs are solid bikes. I would not buy anything from the American Hardware guy as everything is overpriced. There is a KTM dealer in Manila and they have the whole CC range 200-1190cc http://ph.priceprice.com/motorcycle/?maker=KTM-271 If I didn't have my bike, I would probably have the 990 SuperDuke. These bikes are comparable to an enduro and definitely more suited to the crappy roads. I would look into the 690. You should be able to find a decent used one. Some of my Manila friends seem to sell off their bikes and buy a new one every couple of years.

Also here, https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.209726192381018.51717.197010990319205&type=3 it's just off the EDSA near the bus station by Araneta in QC...

Edited by jon1
  • Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Not sure about the Husky, but KTMs are solid bikes. I would not buy anything from the American Hardware guy as everything is overpriced. There is a KTM dealer in Manila and they have the whole CC range 200-1190cc http://ph.priceprice.com/motorcycle/?maker=KTM-271 If I didn't have my bike, I would probably have the 990 SuperDuke. These bikes are comparable to an enduro and definitely more suited to the crappy roads. I would look into the 690. You should be able to find a decent used one. Some of my Manila friends seem to sell off their bikes and buy a new one every couple of years.

Also here, https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.209726192381018.51717.197010990319205&type=3 it's just off the EDSA near the bus station by Araneta in QC...

Damn Jon, now you got me shopping for a bike!  That KTM Duke 200cc looks pretty good to me.  Less expensive than Honda 250 but I can't tell if the KTM's seat is built for two.  As in the case of OMW taking his daughter to school.  

post-686-0-36742200-1447527568_thumb.jpg  170k pesos new

A lot of positive reviews from the local riders.   

jon1
Posted
Posted

they are great bikes but i prefer the 690 or 990..  You also have to remember that you need a minimum 400cc to hit the toll ways.. Forget the 2 up option, just figure out what is best for you!

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Methersgate's Law, a corrollary of Taylor's Law, states that every motorcycle in the world would, in the opinion of its owner, be better with another 10 hp.

Taylor's Law states that there is always room for one more motorcycle.

I have two bikes in the UK, both old BMWs. A 37 year old R 60/7 airhead flat twin and a K75 water cooled triple which is only 22. The K75 weighs a ton and needs a good surface, but is very reliable.

In the Philippines I would like an airhead.

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

The husky terra 650 is a nice bike. It's actually a revamped BMW engine and very quick. Also great dirt bike. It can be lowered by a simple link which is necessary for most people. Cost around P5k to lower.

The only known slight fault is flat spot upon acceleration, once one has had enough experience this can be over come. They perform well especially off road and yes no problem with back up as KTM are pretty much everywhere.

My close friend and myself ride regularly, he keeps up with me (1200 Tenere) quite easily. For a big thumper they are outstanding and excellent value for money, just a shame not tubeless.

Yes, I think that is the bike he has.  Seems like p325,000 is not a bad price for the Philippines.  He has one marked sold.

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/husqvarna/2013-husqvarna-tr-650-terra-ar139732.html

I don't understand:

"yes no problem with back up as KTM are pretty much everywhere."

What is KTM?

Sorry just spotted this.

If you decide go with the husky it can be bought through any KTM shop. These are all over here in Visayas not sure about Luzon , would expect same. Back up service is quite good however mechanics do lack training.

Yes the Dukes are are amazing bikes from the little 200 up. Bit pricy, but little rocket ships. I considered the KTM 1190 adventure ( now phased out) but went with the Tenere due to reliability issues and the ease of servicing. A lot depends on ones location as these need the right software for servicing and not available where I reside.

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

they are great bikes but i prefer the 690 or 990..  You also have to remember that you need a minimum 400cc to hit the toll ways.. Forget the 2 up option, just figure out what is best for you!

See, I learned something new everyday here.  I didn't realize a minimum of 400cc is required to get onto the expressway. By the way, how long does it take to go from Olongapo to Angeles using the Subic- Clark Highway?  You may include your fastest run.....he, he.

Edited by Jake

jon1
Posted
Posted

See, I learned something new everyday here.  I didn't realize a minimum of 400cc is required to get onto the expressway. By the way, how long does it take to go from Olongapo to Angeles using the Subic- Clark Highway?  You may include your fastest run.....he, he.

Depending on conditions, 30-40 minutes. You also have to watch out for radar as they will nab you at the toll gate (already stopped) and have a photo of you with the speed ticket and boom there goes your license to Manila. Usually on the weekends early in the morning you can see the Porsche club boys speeding around and half of them getting tickets at the toll booths hahahaha... Also no trikes are allowed even if you were to get a big bore bike converted like the geezer HDs in the US.. I know of one guy in AC who has a Harley trike and he has to take the back roads, pisses him off to no end..