"high Blood"

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well with the sudden passing of 3 of my wife's relatives over the last year or so-all because of "high blood" and no other words beyond that given, it gave me pause to think of so many that were active one day and gone the next-far too typical among Filipinos I have known directly and indirectly. It seems that the filipino lifestyle and ways to enjoy life can catch up to them in their 50's and early 60's (as was the age of theses aunts and uncles of my wife's that passed on suddenly). Emperidor, lechon, street food, smoking, durian (so I'm told), and other high fat foods and habits commonplace among the locals are not off set with trips to the doctor for blood pressure and hypertension related medications, etc. Simple economics seems to be why all these ailments despite warning signs go completely unchecked-ie priorities in money spent-live for today attitude, etc. We all gotta go sometime, I know, but this way of passing seems to be so preventable and yet, sadly so common. There really needs (in my opinion) to be a way to get at least some kind of meds in these good folks to extend their life. BP related meds need to be available to everyone-but, again, it's all about the $. Do you agree?

Edited by Hey Steve
  • Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey Steve,

Totally agree with ya.  The fast food and high fat and sugar content has increased diabetic symptoms among the Filipinos at a alarming rate.  I wonder how the rest of the Asian people are on the BP and diabetic scale?  

It is such a tragedy that senior citizens, many with a fixed income can no longer afford meds for chronic illnesses.  And the senior citizens of the Philippines (expats included) are finding it more and more difficult to maintain a quality of life, unless you're willing to pay top dollar for meds and medical services.  

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

If you have slightly high blood pressure and you take Losartan . . .

Our data suggest that losartan improved erectile function and both satisfaction and frequency of sexual activity. Because side effects are one of the most influential factors in the management of hypertension, an added benefit of losartan therapy may be its positive impact on quality of life.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11370797

• Like 4

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well my Micardis cost p25 per tab and definitely has no effect on my sex life .... that was a big concern as I have heard horror stories about guys not being able to get it up any more once they started taking HBP medicine .... 

Salt is one of the major contributers to HBP but no one seems to want to curb their salt intake ..... some food here is so salty it used to make me gag so I learned to taste it first .... everything here is salted ... :1 (103): :th_unfair:

:cheersty:

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Steve perhaps your wife should see a Cardiologist it could be heart issues run in the family. Or it could simply be poor lifestyle choices as you suggested.

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Well my Micardis cost p25 per tab and definitely has no effect on my sex life ...

There must be hundreds of studies on this topic, and every single one agrees that a guy will have a better sex life...if he's still alive :)  

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

You know, I have traveled all over the World apart from the US and I have to Admit the PI is the worst place I have been for High Blood Pressure, Got to be the Diet. Yes?

Jack :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
PI is the worst place I have been for High Blood Pressure, Got to be the Diet. Yes?

I'd say its the stress of crowded conditions.  Filipinos deal with the stress of heavy traffic and long lines and no stock in different ways that foreigners do but its stress nonetheless and to live your whole life with that stress would give anyone high blood.

• Like 2