"high Blood"

Midniterider
Posted
Posted

An interesting related and RARE (rare because studies are not often done in developing countries) study just in:

"Although alcohol consumption has been associated with more than 60 medical disorders, associations are complex. (..) 

Although we report no association between current drinking and mortality, high intake was associated with increased risk of mortality, consistent with previous studies.18, 19 Similarly, we report no association between alcohol consumption and cardiovascular disease, but current drinking was associated with reduced risk of myocardial infarction. Results of previous studies are inconsistent,20,21 probably owing to opposing mechanisms—ie, changes in HDL, fibrinolysis, platelet aggregation, and coagulation factors might reduce risk of thrombotic disease, but increased blood pressure and other coagulation changes might increase risk of haemorrhagic stroke. In our large study, done mostly in MICs and LICs, we were not able to reliably classify stroke subtype in many cases, because neuroimaging was not routinely done. Finally, former drinking was associated with increased risks of mortality, cancer, injury, and the composite outcome, consistent with the so-called sick quitters hypothesis, whereby individuals might stop consuming alcohol for health reasons.22

Current drinking was associated with increased risk of alcohol-related cancers, consistent with results of a previous study.20

(...) Interpretation

We studied the net association between alcohol consumption and health outcomes (measured with a composite outcome of death, cardiovascular disease, cancer, injury, and hospital admission) in a large international cohort and report no net health benefit associated with alcohol consumption. Our study confirms that high alcohol consumption is associated with increased risk of mortality,18, 19 cancer,20 and injury,23 and a non-significantly reduced risk of myocardial infarction. Our study extends previous work to include participants from low-income and middle-income countries.

(..) When countries were stratified by income region, current drinking was associated with lower hazards for the composite outcome in people living in HICs/UMICs than for those living in LICs/LMICs. These differences were statistically significant (figure 3), and became more pronounced after adjustment for drinking behaviours, suggesting that the difference is not entirely explained by drinking behaviours and might show differences at the country level. Our data support the call to increase global awareness of the harmful effects of alcohol and the need for health policy interventions (including national strategies and legal frameworks) to reduce these harms,26especially in LICs/LMICs. 

(..) In summary, our study shows that current drinking is not associated with a net health benefit. We confirm that high intake is associated with increased risk of mortality, cancer, and injury. Importantly, the hazards of alcohol consumption differed between HICs/UMICs and LICs/LMICs. Because alcohol consumption is increasing in many countries, especially in LICs/LMICs, the importance of alcohol as a risk factor for disease might be underestimated.30 Therefore, global strategies to reduce harmful use of alcohol are essential."

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(15)00235-4/fulltext

Midniterider
Posted
Posted

Something else I just came across but can't purchase the whole report shows US disability total at roughly 50% while the Philippines at somewhere between 25 to 35% so cultural differences and healthy food availability (fresh fruits and veggies etc.) is perhaps another thing to ponder. 

Global, regional, and national incidence, prevalence, and years lived with disability for 301 acute and chronic diseases and injuries in 188 countries, 1990–2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013

http://www.thelancet.com/action/showFullTextImages?pii=S0140-6736%2815%2960692-4

post-3405-0-87476900-1447627963_thumb.jp

post-3405-0-23222200-1447628026_thumb.jp

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted (edited)

My wife was telling me many parents feed their infant children rice if not breast feeding.

A rice only diet for a one year old child is definitely not a healthy way to start.

I know to many Filipinos that eat nothing but fried food and rice all day plus get drunk on cheap gin every night. Most of them also smoke. That seems like an early ticket to the ground for sure.

Edited by Richieboy67

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

This is an interesting thread.

I have three observations:

1. I remember taking a seafarers medical in Manila at an excellent clinic run by a very capable doctor. As she gave me my results I asked why so many Filipino seafarers were so chronically unhealthy, given that they ate rice, fish and vegetables just like the super- healthy Japanese do? She replied, "Yes, fried fish, fried rice, fried vegetables and a six pack of beer in front of the TV!"     

2. My Filipina ex., Ruby, is 47 and has seriously high blood pressure. Being in the UK and a being a professional care home manager she is not only on medications but is taking them religiously, She hasn't lived in the Philippines or eaten a Filipino diet in 17 years - she is in fact a brilliant cook of European food (my one regret..). She is no longer the slim and sylph like figure that I once admired but whilst she is quite matronly she is not fat. When she did live in the Philippines she ate the usual diet but that was only up to the age of 30.

3. K arrived in the UK ten days ago... she is 30. Up to now her lifestyle choices have involved smoking drinking and the usual diet, but now she is in the UK the smoking is down from 40 a day to maybe 20 (she claims less!) the drinking is one unit a day if that and the salt content is dropping a little. 

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Not so sure I agree with the "Filipinos don't go to doctors or the hospital" ...... anyone ever tried to get in to see a doctor or go to a clinic or get a room in the hospital ..... well take it from me ... I have and when you have to sit out in the hallway waiting to see your doctor for over 4 hours when you have an appointment I would say that there are plenty of Filipinos seeing doctors .... when I was in the hospital I had to wait 3 days to get a private room ..... and never could get a private room in the ICU in one hospital ....

Now as far as taking medication there is very little discipline here as most of you already know ..... besides I feel fine today so why worry about how I will feel tomorrow .... right ...  :hystery: 

:cheersty:

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I am wondering what the kids eat... most of the elementary school age kids I see have almost no teeth.  The teeth have not fallen out - the teeth have rotted away.  They are just nubs in the gums.

• Like 3