France-Terrorist Attacks

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I ask the question when will the UN grow a set of necessaries and do  something more than 'deplore' the incident?

What do you suggest they do? The fight against the ISIS has been going on for months in Syria. Its up to each country to protect their citizens from terror attacks which I'm sure they try to do but the enemy is a hidden one so it's not like you have them on one side and us on the other in full view so you can shoot each other. Gathering intelligence and acting on information is about it. Australia has laws that will put people in jail if they have been overseas fighting with terrorist groups, of course they have to return for that to happen. Also authority's here keep an eye out for anyone suspected of trying to leave the country to fight with the ISIS and are stopped from leaving. These people are monitored but who knows what's being planned behind closed doors by a hidden enemy.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I ask the question when will the UN grow a set of necessaries and do  something more than 'deplore' the incident?

What do you suggest they do? The fight against the ISIS has been going on for months in Syria. Its up to each country to protect their citizens from terror attacks which I'm sure they try to do but the enemy is a hidden one so it's not like you have them on one side and us on the other in full view so you can shoot each other. Gathering intelligence and acting on information is about it. Australia has laws that will put people in jail if they have been overseas fighting with terrorist groups, of course they have to return for that to happen. Also authority's here keep an eye out for anyone suspected of trying to leave the country to fight with the ISIS and are stopped from leaving. These people are monitored but who knows what's being planned behind closed doors by a hidden enemy.

The Un is a peace keeping force and I do believe cannot do any aggressive act maybe I have been told wrongly.

• Like 3

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
The Un is a peace keeping force and I do believe cannot do any aggressive act maybe I have been told wrongly.

Yes that's correct,so what is the point of having them I ask myself.

At the time of the invasion of Kuwait, Sadden Hussein's army destroyed the oil fields as they retreated.

It is said the the ISIS are funding their operations with revenue from the oil refineries they have capture.

Surely it would  make sense to cut off their supply of revenue, or am I missing something here apart from the environmental issues.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
The Un is a peace keeping force

I believe your right, the last time the UN fought an aggressive war I believe was Korea, but that was termed a "police action" and also was when the USA had a lot more pull to get the UN what they wanted them to do (right or wrong isn't the point, just a facts as I see them).

Nations, in my view, need to take a stand at some point and say enough is enough.

Again, what I am saying now is just my observations of world events in the recent past, right, wrong or indifferent is up to the readers feelings.

9-11 America invades Afghanistan, then Iraq (helped by large coalition)

July 05 London train bombing, Britain was royally ticked off and wanted retribution (brit, aussie and kiwi soldiers I know were livid)

2004 Madrid train bombing, Spain buckles under to terrorist demands and withdrew from the Afghanistan and Iraq coalition and basically fell off the world stage. 

Just yesterday, I saw an interview on BBC of a French Security type about the terrible terrorist attack. He said Mr. Obama must increase the pressure on the ISIS held areas. He was asked if this was enough for France to increase it presence in Syria. He deftly avoided the question and said Mr. Obama must increase USA support. He was pressed again by the reports "sir, is this enough for France to put boots on the ground to end the threat?" again he sidestepped. The reporter tried one more time to see if France was enraged enough to directly intervene. He again filibustered the question until the segment was over.

Now this is just my opinion, but ISIS is not going to go away anytime soon. Unless the USA, the European countries (who are more affected right now than the USA) reach down, grab their willies and say enough is enough, put boots on the ground and wipe them out root and branch.

Will air stikes and aid to the Kurds work? Most likely over time. But until that happens how many more Paris like attacks, how many much ancient cultural sites are to be destroyed, how many more non-Islamic native peoples be uprooted, how many more middle east refugees is Europe willing to put up with?

Deep breath, (sorry guys)

• Like 5

stevewool
Posted
Posted

What a beautiful world we live in, pity we just cannot seem to get on with one another,

• Like 2

Midniterider
Posted
Posted

Things are about to change for the worse for ISIL. There's a limit to the world's tolerance and I see they have crossed the line. Saudi Arabia is getting quickly involved (the money men), and this won't be a solely SUNNI vs. sh** thing any longer. The former Iraqi sociopathic military men in ISIL will be hunted down like that deck of cards we used before to spread the word. 

The G20 meeting in Turkey at this moment gives the real world leaders with any say in military coalitions perfect timing to work out an informal framework that will develop into something more like the Gulf War back in 1991. To include Russia sanctions or no sanctions. We've worked with them before perhaps closest during the Clinton administration and there's about to be another Clinton in the White House. 

Major terrorist attacks against Russia, France, and in Syria with holding territory in Iraq? You can see the writing on the wall clearly by now. 

Midniterider
Posted
Posted (edited)

"The  term 'genocide' carries significant weight in the international community. It was coined by Polish Jewish lawyer Raphael Lemkin in the 1940s as a response to the Holocaust. The United Nations defines it as "acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group," including killing and forcibly transferring children from the group. The 1948 U.N. convention on genocide requires signatories to work to prevent genocide and punish perpetrators when it does occur."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/11/12/yes-the-islamic-states-attacks-on-the-yazidis-are-a-genocide-new-report-says/

http://qz.com/550796/france-responded-to-the-paris-attacks-by-bombing-syria/

Edited by Midniterider