Can I Get My Kids Out Okay If It Ever Arises?

1bigdog
Posted
Posted

Wife got my kids dual citizenship now to save on visa fees.    I am American and so are my kids.  In our stay in the Philippines could she ever stop me from taking myself and my kids home to the USA?  I just want to know i am safe and no funny stuff could ever be pulled on me. 

I am thinking i should keep control of the kids passports and my own, and also keep control of the money.  I never been a controller type but hey i will be half way around the world and on someone else's  home court, i want to feel assured i have an unobstructed way out if we would ever need one. 

I know the wife will want to control the money and the passports but  dont think i am good with that so far from home.

Any words of  wisdom will be appreciated.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

BigDog...........before we get really, really deep here can I ask for a bit of information. Have you ever been to the Philippines before? What part of the country are you thinking of visiting?

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Your children are citizens of both US and Philippines, keep in mind they are not "American" but both.

It's likely your wife could prevent your removing the children from Philippines if she wished to do so. I don't think holding the children's passports would prevent her from keeping them in Philippines. 

Your wife could not prevent you from departing.

In a marriage money is normally shared. However if you are unsure your wife's loyalty then you should do what you think best for the whole family. Could you and your wife could find a compromise you both would be happy with? 

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

One question on this please, Although they may have Duel nationality, If they were Born in the Philippines the Mothers Rights take precedence,

So my Friend, were they Born in the US or Philippines? 

Jack :unsure:

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Isn't there an airline policy for a single parent accompanying children (no matter what their citizenship is) must get written permission from the other parent to travel?

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I think the other posters are right on the mark.

Bottom line  If you try to take your kids on the plane without their mother's written permission or physical presence at the airport you are asking for trouble and you will likely get some.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Isn't there an airline policy for a single parent accompanying children (no matter what their citizenship is) must get written permission from the other parent to travel?

Yes I believe you are right plus I believe Immigration have to be informed as there is form to complete if it the first time they are leaving the PI

In fact, Did not Andrew's (Methersgate ) Step son have to go to a Seminar type meeting prior to him Leaving? I remember him telling us about it.

Jack :)

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Wow, if you are thinking this , there must be something wrong already in your thoughts,

Just a word of warning here , a person i know went to the Phils with his wife and 2 children, there was problems before they went,

Once there the family took the kids to another part of the town and he was not allowed contact for months,

He is British his kids have british passports, but there was nothing he could do, it was all down to her family to make all the moves,

They is back here now in England , he is separated from his wife,she has a new man in her life, its cost him thousands but he does see his kids now at weekends ,

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

When there are children involved, I can understand the OP raising these issues.  There is ample evidence in this and other forums of such happening and I am sure he is well aware of that.  I do not read anything into his post, other than a general desire to know where he stand if heaven forbid, he is confronted with such a situation.

Knowing about Philippine Law again from mainly this site, he would be on the back foot, I would think?

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I know the wife will want to control the money and the passports but  dont think i am good with that so far from home.  

Obviously you don't trust her. How long have you been together? 

• Like 2