How Much Is Enough

Thomas
Posted
Posted

There were studies conducted on this specific issue in a documentary called "Happy". It's been awhile since I saw the film, but I recall that once you have enough money to cover your basic necessities, there exists a diminishing return for any money you have above that amount. In other words, rich people weren't necessarily happier than poorer people as long as their basic needs were covered.

The studies showed that there are other aspects that are more important (than money) that contributes to one's overall sense of happiness, like loving relationships, family, friends, and free time to do the things you really enjoy doing.

Makes sense to me, but I still want a lot of money when I retire!

I don't many enough of each group to be enough to be statistic, but in western countries it seem very rich are LESS happy than them who have just enough and a litle more (=lower middle class and the better paid workers).  The very rich seem to more often use MUCH alcohol and/or drugs.  In Sweden there are much MORE drugs where the rich kids party than the middle class...

My THEORY is it depend of a big part of the very rich are very rich BECAUSE they give to high priority to earn more MONEY, although they have much allready,

instead of spend TIME with their kids...

I suppouse that's why many poor Filipino kids are happy, while many western kids are not.  I mean the Filipino kids, who's parents aren't forced to move away from the kids to work to survive. 

Has anyone ever noticed that as soon as you have enough for anything, you start to spend more than you normally would so we go back to not enough.
I haven't   :)         

(Well. I spend A LITLE more when I have more.)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
I haven't             (Well. I spend A LITLE more when I have more.)

That was my point Thomas so you do in fact

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Has anyone ever noticed that as soon as you have enough for anything, you start to spend more than you normally would so we go back to not enough. A bit like you have a low budget for the rest of the month and some how you end up spending more than you expected.

Just saying :unsure:

Jack :rolleyes:

I haven't             (Well. I spend A LITLE more when I have more.)

That was my point Thomas so you do in fact

It's NOT same. Perhaps I didn't say it clear enough.

When I earn MUCH more, a spend A LITLE extra, so I KEEP most of it...

((Back when I earned as best, most months I did spend ONLY what's in Sweden is counted as "existence minimum" anyway. Some months I bought things, which cost to BUY, but cost (almost) nothing to USE, so if spreading that cost between all the months I use it, it's very litle per month, so per month I spend litle totaly anyway.))    It's left to see if I can make my future wife act similar economic   :mocking:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

It's NOT same. Perhaps I didn't say it clear enough.

post-2148-0-53307300-1448069996_thumb.pn   I think you may be right.

Jack :tiphat:

Morning All :morning1:

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I hear lots of people ask can I afford to live on this amount in the phills. I will ask can you afford not to?

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I hear lots of people ask can I afford to live on this amount in the phills. I will ask can you afford not to?

Well said :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Ynot
Posted
Posted

Its a good question how much is enough.  As everybody already knows, it varies depending on the lifestyle we want. Some are happier with the basics, some want more than the basics, but at the end of the day you have to be mindful of the fact that we are not getting any younger, and if you leave it too late, you may not get to enjoy any retirement time.  I think once you are in your mid 70's you will be slowing down, and by your mid 80's forget it, just getting your next breath is what keeps you occupied.  So i suggest if you are approaching 60 you should be looking at pulling the pin and enjoying the last 10 to 15 years of quality lifestyle on what you have accumulated before life begins to slow down and possibly fade away.

• Like 5

stevewool
Posted
Posted

, and by your mid 80's forget it, just getting your next breath is what keeps you occupied.

Now thats funny

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

living expenses for us vary a great deal being on a more or less fixed income depending on the Pesos to the UK pound rate.

but I like to know where the money goes and since January last year I have kept a monthly expense openoffice calc sheet !

its not food etc that cost the most or the utilities which are more or less the same each month.

Its things like money for weddings, money for house repairs ( the mothers inc labor ) on a good month we can save 20-25000 pesos !

we couldnt do that in the UK on our pensions !!

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Its things like money for weddings, money for house repairs ( the mothers inc labor )

Ha AH! back to that Dreaded family thing again