Tutuban-Alabang Train Operations

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

According to this newspaper clipping, the Tutuban-Alabang train operations were resumed recently after a derailment caused by thieves stealing the metal clips that hold the tracks together.  What a country!!

But what I want know, is if anyone has been on this train?  I plan to stay in Alabang for a couple of nights next March and I thought a trip into the city by train might be a relaxing way to see the city for cheap?  thoughts on that?

I would plan to leave after the morning commute, (say 9 ish) and come back ahead of the evening commute.  What say all you Manila-ites?

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

Manila familiar members please give me an opinion on this idea:

If this train is running, and if my Google Earth map is not lying to me, I can walk out the door of Terminal 3 at NAIA, turn right and follow the road (looks to be called Sales road and runs parallel to the entrance to the Skyway).  Anyway, it looks to me 1 1/2 km following the road direct to Nichols Station of the train I mention in the opening post.  Then I can take the train direct to where I want to be in Alabang for a handfull of pesos instead of a 500 pesos cab ride.

Am I cheap?  You betcha.  Maybe another cheapo can chime in and tell me if this works.  I definitely don't mind walking and I do 1 & 1/2 km in an easy 20 minutes at 10 am.

Next part of the question would be how to cross all them lanes of traffic to get to the Nichols Train Station?  There must be a way to get in and out of the train station, right?

EDIT:  There is an article on tripadvisor that has a lot of commenters chiming in to say that this walk cannot be done.  I doubt if any of the people commenting ever walk anywhere as I have yet to see a place I cannot walk to, Its just that some places are harder than others, (like walking across the runway at Sibulan airport, you have to get in the guard's good books and wait until there are no planes coming).

Anyway, back to the Nichols Train Station near terminal 3, is the entrance easily accessible by taxi from the airport?  It is surely cheaper to do that than to take a taxi to Alabang.

EDIT 2:  Google says it can be done.  They even have a walking map to tell me how.  I am very tempted to do this, but still waiting to hear from anyone else who has tried.

post-41-0-85153400-1447677963_thumb.png

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

It sounds a bit dangerous if they are stealing the clips for the tracks, but I assume much would apply if you went by road, they would probably steal the painted lines on the centre of the road!  C'est la vie.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Dave, can u IM me the links you have seen so I can orient myself a bit more to what your referring to before I comment

There is an article on tripadvisor that has a lot

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Dave, can u IM me the links you have seen

I would love to but can't find them again  :1 (103):

Oops, here's the one I was referring to that says "it cannot be done"

And yet I am sure filipinos walk to and from the train station somehow or there would be no need for a stop there

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted (edited)

EDIT 2:  Google says it can be done.  They even have a walking map to tell me how.  I am very tempted to do this, but still waiting to hear from anyone else who has tried.

I had a look at that and even though it shows as walking, looking at google street view the directions is by road and transport. I can not see any other way unless you are very adventurous although it does show some sidewalks and I do see some people walking but hard to follow and see where to get across busy roads.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/Ninoy+Aquino+International+Airport+Terminal+3,+Pasay,+Metro+Manila,+Philippines/Nichols+Station,+R-3,+Taguig,+Metro+Manila,+Philippines/@14.52389,121.0239664,17z/am=t/data=!4m18!4m17!1m5!1m1!1s0x3397cecbca97d2f5:0xabc8ea075302537b!2m2!1d121.0137973!2d14.5195461!1m5!1m1!1s0x3397c92c5f74637b:0xaf3cf52cc983abe7!2m2!1d121.0261487!2d14.5238529!3e2!6m3!1i0!2i0!3i6

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
added wee bit

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Dave, I have NOT walked that exact route. But if you look at the map look a little south, you will see "moon walk access" road I walk around there all the time (l don't live far from that area actally, if you look to the left by the bay and see QURINO Ave. I live in that area. )

I looked at the article (2012) and I can say a lot of that info is probably out of date. A lot of the pedestrian overpasses have been completed in the last few years. But what it doesn't mention is the Skyway construction which has made the whole area an absolute mess. 

I have never taken the train. But when we do drive by the terminals there always seems to be a line no matter the hour. As an additional reference, I just asked my BIL who works at the Downtown DFA office. When his car is coded he takes a jeepney and leaves early. I asked why not take the train. His answer was "faster and more reliable"

Now I cant look into your wallet, but I would spend the 500 pesos. :cheersty:

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Have you heard of "Go Fund Me"?  I will contribute p50 towards your taxi fare.

• Like 2