What A Pity Another Little Business Goes Under!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

:unsure:  Bit of a shock this morning, I went for the Bread as per norm First thing and the bread shop was all shuttered up. I knew the owner had been under the weather of late but thought he had covered things when he was at Home. I went to my local Sori Sori for some load and he was there. He told me that he has closed down the business as he just can't make it pay anymore. Here in Dumaguete we do have bread shops on just about  every street corner but his was one of the better ones. Locally.

He was telling me that over the Last year "BREADCAMP",  "B&M","GOLD BAKE" ( all large groups) had opened a lot of Stores and at a bigger variety and lower prices this had hurt him.

A pity for this to happen but I guess like so many things There does not seem to be a place anymore for the little man.  

Jack :tiphat:

:hystery:  where would Wednesday be without an Edit.

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

:unsure:  Bit of a shock this morning, I went for the Bread as per norm First thing and the bread shop was all shuttered up. I knew the owner had been under the weather of late but thought he had covered things when he was at Home. I went to my local Sori Sori for some load and he was there. He told me that he has closed down the business as he just can't make it pay anymore. Here in Dumaguete we do have bread shops on just about  every street corner but his was one of the better ones. Locally.

He was telling me that over the Last year "BREADCAMP",  "B&M","GOLD BAKE" ( all large groups) had opened a lot of Stores and at a bigger variety and lower prices this had hurt him.

A pity for this to happen but I guess like so many things There does not seem to be a place anymore for the little man.  

You mean of course a general bakery Jack? Filipino style, cakes etc and maybe pandesal?

We had one close, and as I know the owner I asked her.  She said unless you are doing the baking and serving eg family owned, the cost of a baker and a shop girl wipes out the profits.

I love such places especially if you time it correctly to get there within an hour of the baking time.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

You mean of course a general bakery Jack? Filipino style, cakes etc and maybe pandesal?

We had one close, and as I know the owner I asked her.  She said unless you are doing the baking and serving eg family owned, the cost of a baker and a shop girl wipes out the profits.

I love such places especially if you time it correctly to get there within an hour of the baking time.

Exactly Chris just what I like, all fresh stuff and a good Price.

It was all family Run but people tended to buy there Bread on the Way back from Town so the Customer base wen down. the daughter now works at a Larger Bakers and the Son went into the labour pool at City Works. The Wife and the Husband + nieces just carried on

What makes me smile is that I can't Understand why people will put up with mass produced Crap When you have Good Home made stuff on your Doorstep. Price I guess but for  the sake of maybe 20 peso more per Purchase, Good Bread & cakes etc?? But..........  talking to Azon a while ago, we may talk about Investing. The Area needs the Bake Shop and I am of the Opinion we could make it work, I have a friend making all sorts of Pies and things, Diversifying a little just may make the Difference. As we are now getting more and more Foreigners up here on the hill and more and more professional locals who will spend.

We will see.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
the daughter now works at a Larger Bakers and the Son went into the labour pool at City Works.

I wonder if it doesn't have more to do with family members being able to earn more money when not working for mom and pop.

• Like 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

aah bread! that is a bit of a sore subject with me ! we had a niece who worked for Gardenia in Calamba, so we had the tour of the factory ( very impressive ! ) and so all the bread we bought for a while was from Gardenia !

But for me it always smells yeasty as though its not properly baked !! :unsure: so I stopped eating their white bread and found a cheaper version in savemore ! and larger slices ! almost half the price !! also fruit bread ! :thumbsup:

we have a small Pandasol bakery up the road from us a young guy runs it and does the baking, he sends out young guys 3 times a day walking up and down the roads with the car horn tooting and they sell out each time, and early mornings there are people lining up to buy !!

I am one for trying new things like bread-cakes from the smaller shops. they need the support of the locals though to keep going.

one family here had the same prob with the likes of red ribbon and goldilocks opening nearby !

their solution ? sell the stuff direct to the local students and the colleges !

so far they are doing ok !!

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

the daughter now works at a Larger Bakers and the Son went into the labour pool at City Works.

I wonder if it doesn't have more to do with family members being able to earn more money when not working for mom and pop.

I guess brain surgery is not required to agree with you there my friend. :thumbsup:

Jack  :)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

he sends out young guys 3 times a day walking up and down the roads with the car horn tooting and they sell out each time, and early mornings there are people lining up to buy !!

Ah the Bread Round, I like it. Your Comments are indeed noted 

Jack :thumbsup:

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Exactly Chris just what I like, all fresh stuff and a good Price.

It was all family Run but people tended to buy there Bread on the Way back from Town so the Customer base wen down. the daughter now works at a Larger Bakers and the Son went into the labour pool at City Works. The Wife and the Husband + nieces just carried on

What makes me smile is that I can't Understand why people will put up with mass produced Crap When you have Good Home made stuff on your Doorstep. Price I guess but for  the sake of maybe 20 peso more per Purchase, Good Bread & cakes etc?? But..........  talking to Azon a while ago, we may talk about Investing. The Area needs the Bake Shop and I am of the Opinion we could make it work, I have a friend making all sorts of Pies and things, Diversifying a little just may make the Difference. As we are now getting more and more Foreigners up here on the hill and more and more professional locals who will spend.

We will see.

Just take it steady Jack, I know you have the smarts, but in Asia it seems to be a different ballgame.  (Speaking from  experience).

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Just take it steady Jack, I know you have the smarts, but in Asia it seems to be a different ballgame.  (Speaking from  experience).

:thumbsup:  Under normal Circumstances I would agree but when you are married to a Filipino Accountant that knows a thing or two about small supply and demand Businesses  she is one I would listen too, Small business were her Major, So far she has turned around 5 with pretty reasonable success. So I will see what she comes up with.  :)

Jack :cheersty:

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
What makes me smile is that I can't Understand why people will put up with mass produced Crap When you have Good Home made stuff on your Doorstep

You answered your own question in the next line Brother Jack:

Price I guess but for the sake of maybe 20 peso more per Purchase

We all know that price and convenience is king here. Healthier than the mass produced, supermarket bought bread? Heck, I know you have been following the "High Blood" topic.

IMHO its all about Price, convienence and to some extent loyalty.

Let me put on my running dog, imperialist, overbearing, colonial mindset hat :unsure: . As we all know folks here have a habit of opening a like store right next to an existing one. Just recently we had a Lugaw place open up across the street, even though there is and established (been there for almost 20 years or as long as I have been coming here anyway). Lasted 3 weeks. I have lost count of the Manok Kaliwa joints who have opened and closed.

Now on the convenience side, we have a neighbor who sells those 5 liter blue jugs of water to the folks on our street, He charges 40 pesos per and delivers it. What do I do? I carry my empty 30 meters down the road to the water purification store (the same one he goes to) pay 30 pesos and lug the jug back home. 

If your neighbor really made a good quality product I am almost positive he could have won back his customers with a little "out of the box" thinking. Text the shop and a kid on a bike brings your hot pan de sal to your door. Kind of like expat said. Go to the market, but a bunch of the mass produced product, spend a day walking door to door letting the house wives taste the difference in products, state the price etc. SIGH..................I know I am preaching to the choir here. :cheersty:

• Like 2