Leaving The Philippines

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

Hey friends,

I'll be leaving next week for a short time. I was wondering if I'm looking at any extra fees on my way out.

I believe taxes are charged only if here for over a year. Is there anything else I need to worry about?

Any tips for flying out, navigating the airport, security, etc?

Also, I have a very long layover in Seoul. Will my checked luggage be boarded onto the onward flight or will I have to retrieve it?

Thanks

• Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted

You won't have to retrieve your luggage in Seoul. My biggest problem when I have had the long 10-12 hour layovers in the Seoul airport is to avoid spending money. I've succumbed to the shops once or twice.

• Like 5

mogo51
Posted
Posted

12 hour stopover  Yuk!!!

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have never figured out the airport fees.  Last time, going to Hong Kong, there was no fee.  The time before that I had to pay almost p3,000?

Seoul is a great airport.  Flying out it may not matter but if you fly back in from overseas remember they have nice shower facilities at the airport.  ...and a driving range...not at the same time...  It is one of the only airports I have seen lately that still has lockers for your luggage.    If you don't like Korean food, there are not a lot of options.  I like Korean food but would still like to see some more food options.

Here is a link to  a good description of their services.

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/asia/seoul.htm

...oh, if you are flying through Manila I would suggest you leave your bullets at home ha ha  :tiphat:

• Like 4

ITGeek
Posted
Posted

I'm guessing you're flying Asiana?  If so, make sure to  sign up to their mileage program, it's definitely worth it. I'm a Diamond member and relax at their business class lounge during that 12 hr stay over.  Nice food and beverage selection too.  Plus you can take shower before heading out for that 10 hr flight back to the US west coast :)

I think they only charge 3,000 mileage for entry to the business lounge if you're only Gold member.  Sometimes they give you coupons for you and additional person for the business lounge.

Another benefit, I often get upgraded to business class.  The last 4 flights between ICN/MNL (either way) i've been upgraded.  My last flight from SFO to ICN I was also upgraded.  So nice to be able to lay out flat to sleep on that 12 hr jump.

• Like 3

jon1
Posted
Posted

You will need to get an Exit Clearance Certificate (ECC) from the Bureau of Immigration office (closest satellite office to wherever you are) about one week prior to departure. This is required for all Tourist Visa holders that have been in country past 6 months. You can also check on any fees owed for visa extensions (if any) while applying for this. 

• Like 4

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks guys,

I'm leaving tomorrow! Very hard to leave my lovely wife but I'll only be gone a few weeks.

I'm only going to take 3 or 4,000 php with me so hopefully I'll not need more.

I've been researching inchn and there is a ton to do there but 18 hours is a long time. I'm going to find a nice free place to lay down and relax.

I'll be flying on an A380 but I have awful seating. There is a wall behind the seat so apparently it does not recline as much as the other seats. I'm going to try to get that changed because 14 hours is to long to not be able to recline.

I'll not be taking any bullets with me. I can order bullets very easily in the USA if I need them. :) My wife insists on taping all the zippers on my suitcase with grey duct tape. That should be a site. If she reads the post about the eye candy at inchn she will also be taping my zipper. lol

Edited by Richieboy67
  • Like 2

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

I'm guessing you're flying Asiana? If so, make sure to sign up to their mileage program, it's definitely worth it. I'm a Diamond member and relax at their business class lounge during that 12 hr stay over. Nice food and beverage selection too. Plus you can take shower before heading out for that 10 hr flight back to the US west coast :)

I think they only charge 3,000 mileage for entry to the business lounge if you're only Gold member. Sometimes they give you coupons for you and additional person for the business lounge.

Another benefit, I often get upgraded to business class. The last 4 flights between ICN/MNL (either way) i've been upgraded. My last flight from SFO to ICN I was also upgraded. So nice to be able to lay out flat to sleep on that 12 hr jump.

Yes I did sign up for that right after I bought the ticket. I'm only silver with no miles yet so I do not think I get any perks at all yet.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

with grey duct tape.

:hystery:  Ah yes! Duct tape of course. The pinoy's answer to everything  :hystery:

SAFE Trip Richie, we will all still be here (I hope) when you get back

Jack :thumbsup:

• Like 1