Best Way (Cheapest, Least Hassle) To Become Permanent Resident

ITGeek
Posted
Posted

I also considered using the Balikbayan option for first year, then filing 13a.  Hoever, the cost of meeting my asawa in HK and flying to Clark would washout any costs for the 6 mo visa option.

• Like 1

ITGeek
Posted
Posted

My apologies, we are in process of buying the property (house and lot) in one of those secured subdivisions.  It's a new subdivision and house will be complete in a few months.  I'm planning on moving there around May 2016 and planning trip there in Feb 2016 to make sure property is good before signing agreements.  Although most of stuff is in my wife's name, I'll be co-signer on mortgage. I don't have cash in savings to purchase property and I can't withdraw from 401k without the penalties.

We've already got agreement in place and my brother in-law is acting as agent for us.  I'm not too worried, since her family is very well known in her town.

I'll start asking questions in other forums on here about home insurance, etc.

Thanks everyone!

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
We've already got agreement in place and my brother in-law is acting as agent for us.  I'm not too worried, since her family is very well known in her town.

The way I see it is that you have a gut feeling about your wife and her family so do whatever it is that you need to do. There is no right or wrong, some are living happy examples of this some are saddened with nothing left but at the end of the day it's your choice.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I tend to think you may be getting into deep territory here my Friend. Should your lovely wife pass on before you, Family Inheritance takes over, Lease or no Lease.
Legaly a lease contracts follow the LAND UNDEPENDING who is owner.   
We've already got agreement in place and my brother in-law is acting as agent for us. I'm not too worried, since her family is very well known in her town.
That can be both good and bad   :)

/Good if they have a good reputation and are worth it

/bad if they will try to scam you, because then they are stronger.

• Like 1

ITGeek
Posted
Posted

I tend to think you may be getting into deep territory here my Friend. Should your lovely wife pass on before you, Family Inheritance takes over, Lease or no Lease.
Legaly a lease contracts follow the LAND UNDEPENDING who is owner.   

We've already got agreement in place and my brother in-law is acting as agent for us. I'm not too worried, since her family is very well known in her town.
That can be both good and bad   :)

/Good if they have a good reputation and are worth it

/bad if they will try to scam you, because then they are stronger.

I experienced something similar to that before, but wasn't a scam.  I had a gal there who's family is very well known in their villa in Cavite. Even the villa officers said this gal was good reputable person.  We were going to buy house there in villa.  Had all the paperwork ready and I wire money.  Deal fell through, when I asked for money back from gal, at first she told me she had lent some of it to her uncle.  I wasn't angry because I probably would've tried to help her family, but she did it behind my back.  Then I found out then claimed she lent it to a friend.  I threatened to I'd file estafa charges and put lien on her family properties.  Not that I'd actually due it or that it would matter, she was more concerned about her reputation not being ruined and disowned by her family.  In addition, many in her family don't know she was married and getting annulment.  She wired me back 40% of my money and is repaying back rest every month from her paycheck.

• Like 1

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

You may encounter a snag with the SSDI. It is State based and requires a lenghty part of your time to remain within that State to recieve payments. It differs greatly from SSD benifits. This is something you may wish to read up on.

• Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

You may encounter a snag with the SSDI. It is State based and requires a lenghty part of your time to remain within that State to recieve payments. It differs greatly from SSD benifits. This is something you may wish to read up on.

SSD is SSDI. You may be referring to SSI which is State based.

JerryNRea
Posted
Posted

So far I'm looking at getting 6 mo tourist visa extension upon arrival at NAIA.  Then apply for 13a (spouse) visa during this period.   Would this be best way to take for cost and least amount of hassle?

I think you are very close to the 'best way'  if there is a actual best way  :tiphat:

The only flaw I see is that you have to first get a 30 day 'free on arrival' visa.  Then extend for another 29 days, either at the airport or the local BI office.  And then get the 6 month tourist visa.  They don't like to make things too simple here.

You also have the option of getting your 13a at a Philippine embassy in the USA.  That may work for you.

Thanks for postingthis, it is a lot of help

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
JerryNRea
Posted
Posted

I appreciate all the input here and it helps a LOT but it would help even more if there were some pamplets or other printed material to read and study. I have a very nice book from NOLO Press on Marriage and Fiance' Visas for the US and can get all the printed material at the US Immigration on becoming a citizen or Visa's  but nothing for the Philippine process. Anyone know of anything available ???