Negative Vibes

Larry45
Posted
Posted

As for anyone in the US referring to my wife as "my asian wife", I really doubt that will happen.  I've known several guys who brought girls over from other countries and it was never even a consideration.  To even begin to compare the US and Philippines with regards to racism and discrimination is absurd.  

Sorry but this is simply untrue. What is true is that you won't be called a "foreigner" in the US. But please, let's get real here. Look at the news; the country is about to boil over due to racial divides. What you might mean is that as a white guy you don't encounter racism in the US - but a lot of other people do.

You don't like where you are and by all means that's a good reason that you and your family ought to consider leaving. But don't kid yourself about racism in the US, prejudice against Asian people or Filipinos. It very much exists. My wife and I have been fortunate and are generally accepted. But the idea that she and we have encounter no prejudice is unfortunately untrue.

Of course there is racism in the US...there's racism everywhere.  You're trying to pretend the two countries are comparable with regards to racial tolerance, and THAT simply isn't true.  And you're using the standard Filipino reply to criticism.."Oh, you think there is no racism/corruption/poverty/hate, etc in your country?  Is your country perfect?"  I understand lots of you guys are fully committed to living out your days here in the Philippines, and that lends itself to confirmation bias and delusion.  But wouldn't you rather know the reality of living here, so you could prepare for it?  Maybe not. Probably best to just end this thread and return to posting happy, feel-good, rose-colored anecdotes with the rest of you.   :cheersty:     

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Spot on, Jack, and I actually thought of you and Jake when I made that post.  There's a few of you that bring a balanced view here, and it's appreciated.  Racism is just how this thread ended, but it certainly wasn't the impetus.  Negativity in the Filipino culture was the reason I posted this all, and while it's ever present, the rose-colored crew don't want to acknowledge it.  Hell, some of them don't even live here and have no clue what they are posting and blogging about.   Comical, at best.    Here's a link to racially tolerant countries....not just an opinion poll.  Still makes me laugh that anyone could pretend the US is a racist or xenophobic country.  I want some of that kool-aid!   

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/05/15/a-fascinating-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-racially-tolerant-countries/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
lifeasisrael
Posted
Posted

Decided I will start a new thread way down here to rant about the daily bullsh&t I experience, and how I attempt to reduce or negate it all......and take my shot at living a happy, positive life here.  Been here 5 years, married with 3 year old daughter....I don't even pretend to know it all, but I know a little bit.    

A few hours ago, I took my daughter outside to water the plants and watch the sun come down.  The half moon was high in the sky and amazingly, there was a rainbow in the midst of some stormy clouds.  I don't remember her seeing a rainbow before in real life, and she was amazed.  We are sitting there talking about it, and the neighbors see us, burst into laughter, talk sh&t in Bisaya and do their best to ruin the moment.  To me, that's Filipinos, in a nutshell.  I have to explain to my daughter that they are.....(insert explanation here). 

I've experienced this same phenomenon so many times in the past 5 years, it makes me sick.  FIlipinos have something inside them that makes it impossible to be happy for anyone else.  It's a tribal mentality and if there's nothing in it for them, they hate the whole concept of it.  Maybe it's different in the big cities, but here in the province you will NEVER hear, "I'm so happy for my friend...they won the lottery" or "that's so nice Lyn is going to the US...I hope she will be happy there."  It's always negative talk, back-biting, and crab mentality. 

Best point I can make on this topic is when my daughter graduated summer school a few months back.  She won best dancing and almost won best grades, despite being a year younger than the rest.  But what makes me proud is that when everyone received their awards, she was the only one that clapped for the others.  The other kids just mocked them and made jokes of the ones who were being awarded.  Sure kids do that, but if you've spent any time in the Phils, you know they learned that from their parents.

Anyways, just ranting down here and trying to keep my negativity confined to one thread...lol. :cheersty:  

They are just an uncouth group of people. No matter the age still three to five years old as a group. You just have to ignore them as best you can. It is the one reason I changed my mind about having a child HERE. I just don't want them to grow up with any of these traits. I'm sure you have a sweetie and will do everything to make sure she is NOT like them. Good luck.

• Like 2