Posted
Posted
My wife's sister gave us a number

There's your culprit.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Our 1 hp Carrier window unit was giving off a musty smell, likely from not being used very much, so we asked around about getting it cleaned. My wife's sister gave us a number so we had the guys come over. They said they need to bring it to their shop. Three days later, it comes back but I don't use it for a week or so, then when I turn it on, it sounds different. Also, it doesn't cycle off and on but runs steady. I got curious so I went outside to look at it. They cleaned it alright. They cleaned out the 1 hp and put a 1/2 hp inside. They riveted tin to fill the extra space and had wire holding things together. I said let's go to the shop. She said no because they will shoot you. I said then let's go to the barangay or the police. She said no because then the a/c guys would shoot both of us. It is about that "saving face" thing. We have to kiss ass so they can save face.

Why did you wait a week or so before testing it?

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

We only use it if we have a nap in the afternoon. We didn't get it fixed, only cleaned.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Well it's definitely one of the most bizarre stories I've read. Not even remotely close to the SM salesgirl in the bikini though.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

We only use it if we have a nap in the afternoon. We didn't get it fixed, only cleaned.

If I had of noticed the switch when they returned it, there may have been a problem as they were 3 and I am one. Not likely they would have said "Oh, I'm sorry. We will put the 1 hp back in your a/c."

BluesDude
Posted
Posted

Our 1 hp Carrier window unit was giving off a musty smell, likely from not being used very much, so we asked around about getting it cleaned. My wife's sister gave us a number so we had the guys come over. They said they need to bring it to their shop. Three days later, it comes back but I don't use it for a week or so, then when I turn it on, it sounds different. Also, it doesn't cycle off and on but runs steady. I got curious so I went outside to look at it. They cleaned it alright. They cleaned out the 1 hp and put a 1/2 hp inside. They riveted tin to fill the extra space and had wire holding things together. I said let's go to the shop. She said no because they will shoot you. I said then let's go to the barangay or the police. She said no because then the a/c guys would shoot both of us. It is about that "saving face" thing. We have to kiss ass so they can save face.

jp, I don't think you should just let this go without pointing it out to them. I understand your wife's reluctance to confront them directly, or with the barangay police, but what they did to you is just wrong.

Do you have an elder in the family that is known to be respected by the folks in your area? Any chance someone could at least let them know you don't appreciate what they did to your ac unit?

One thing is for sure, I'd never take a suggestion or recommendation from your sister-in-law again. Good luck amigo.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

jp, I don't think you should just let this go without pointing it out to them. I understand your wife's reluctance to confront them directly, or with the barangay police, but what they did to you is just wrong.

Do you have an elder in the family that is known to be respected by the folks in your area? Any chance someone could at least let them know you don't appreciate what they did to your ac unit?

One thing is for sure, I'd never take a suggestion or recommendation from your sister-in-law again. Good luck amigo.

Triple LIKE BluesDude!

jpbago
Posted
Posted
but what they did to you is just wrong

I don't want to be dead right. It is not wise to embarrass a Filipino. Many have been killed for less. I am not in Kansas anymore.

Our SIL had absolutely nothing to do with it. She got the number from a tricycle driver. She does not know the a/c people nor where it is located. Neither do we.

My solace is that I am using less electricity now.

• 2 weeks later...
Sander Martin
Posted
Posted

Any recommendations on where to buy a small AC unit in Iloilo. The small ones start at like 6000pesos and i will be staying in my fiances family home for 6 months to have our boy born and get visas ready for Europe.

Our bedroom is very tiny, so the smallest should be more than enough.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
buy a small AC unit in Iloilo.

Small portable air con units are available at every SM appliance center and ACE hardware I have ever been into. I am sure your lady will enjoy a trip to the mall :thumbsup: