Southern Leyte - Sogod, Bontoc, Maasin, Padre Burgos

Paul_QLD
Posted
Posted

Sorry if you came in here expecting to read a trip report, but I am hoping someone might be lead here and be able to give me some tips about Southern Leyte. I've only been there once for a week nearly three years ago and didn't really get out of the province all that much.

To cut a long story short, 9 months ago in Australia I married a girl from near Bontoc and next Feb we're hoping to go back and visit her family for the second time (first time as husband and wife) and I want to take them to a resort for a couple of nights somewhere around Sogod or Maasin or anywhere in southern Leyte for that matter.

I'm hoping someone here has some experience down this end of the world and might be able to recommend somewhere to go as there is little I can find easily online about tourism and resorts/hotels, reviews etc in general around these areas.

Thanks in advance ...

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I don't know much, but there is a decent busline. I don't know where it start (at ferry port in Hilongos ?)  but it goes through Bato > Bontoc > Sogod > San Bernard > Hinundayan.

A regular flight was SUGGESTED to Maasin, but I haven't heared if it started.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Know the Sogod Bay area fairly well. Lovely area not much to do but SCUBA dive and enjoy the quiet.

The resort is simple inexpensive but nice twenty minutes out of Sogod City near Padre Burgos. 

http://whaleofadive.com/resort-faq/

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Looks like a great resort.

• Like 2

Crocodile
Posted
Posted

I will give out my knowledge on this.  I went down that way earlier this year.  Padre Burgos is a sleepy sort of town, even by Philippines standards.  Well, that is what I found.  I stayed at a resort near there and went into the town a couple of times.  I can't really comment too much about places near there as I looked around for places to go and ended up only staying at one place as I thought the pickings were a little thin.  I did go to another (dive) resort and they said that since the big typhoon business had not picked up too well.

I can HIGHLY recommend swimming with the whale sharks.  It is a bit hit-and-miss as they are 100% wild and you have to take your chances, but it is well worth it when they find the whale sharks.  Limasawa Island was interesting to visit and there were some awesome places to snorkel around there (check out airbnb for those interested in places to stay).

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Padre Burgos is a sleepy sort of town, even by Philippines standards.
I forgot to tell. In between Bontoc and Padre Burgos is Tomas Oppus. When I mensioned it to a Filipina from the east part of S Leyte, she laught and said it's very sleepy. Even by her messure and she is from a mountain village to which it's possible to drive only a part of the year  :lol:
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

It's true Thomas, however there are a number of Foreigners living in that area maybe for just that reason. :36_1_50[1]:

The bay itself is nice in many ways reminds me of Puget Sound the area we live at now.

putidako
Posted
Posted

There is no chance of any commercial flight starting up to anywhere from Maasin airstrip in the foreseeable future. It's a dilapidated mess. If anything was to happen I'd guess it's at least ten years away. Leyte and Samar are two of the largest islands in the Philippines, but they are each woefully short of airports.

putidako
Posted
Posted

There is no chance of any commercial flight starting up to anywhere from Maasin airstrip in the foreseeable future. It's a dilapidated mess. If anything was to happen I'd guess it's at least ten years away. Leyte and Samar are two of the largest islands in the Philippines, but they are each woefully short of airports.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
It's true Thomas, however there are a number of Foreigners living in that area maybe for just that reason.
Yes. I think of settle in Tomas Oppus because of the name   :lol:      Not realy, but I have some thoughts settling in some calm place in that region, I have checked some for instance in the Maasin mountains.
  • Like 2