Balikbayan Boxes

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Check with your shipper and see what is the largest size they have AND what is the largest size they will accept.  Wooden would be nice for protection but requires more work for international shipping to meet requirements.  Because of the extra requirements most shippers stay away from wood.  If it we me and I could find a BB shipper that would accept larger oversize boxes, I would make my own.  starting with the original box the guitar came in.  Next I would get some heavy duty double walled cardboard and wrap it again.  Then a larger box that it would fit inside and packed with clothing all around.  I shipped several hand built model ships over 3' long this way.

good luck and do plenty of research on shipping.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Over time before we made our move, we shipped 54 BB boxes , many Atlas Macho boxes and also used Forex. Haven't ever had any other boxes shipped to us. Pretty much brought all we'll need:)

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Over time before we made our move, we shipped 54 BB boxes , many Atlas Macho boxes and also used Forex. Haven't ever had any other boxes shipped to us. Pretty much brought all we'll need:)

You must have had a lot of shoes Queenie?

• Like 1

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

I took the necks off the guitars, wrapped them in bubble wrap and towels. Everything got to the Philippines safe. I sent the boxes end of October, they got there in March. I didn't think they would make it. I had given up, then there they were. It cost $80.00 per box. I filled them with various things, such as clothing, TV still in the box. Toys, books, you name it. I taped and put 1/4 in rope around boxes, created handles on top for carrying. Some boxes weighed 200 pounds. The instruments in the Philippines are cheap and expensive compared to American standards. Powered speakers cheap made and very expensive. If you want effects pedals or say play acoustic live by TC Helicon, you better take it with you. I bought an Alto speaker with 6 inch speakers, blue tooth, that worked well as an acoustic guitar and vocal speaker. Take a dual current mixer, 4 channel. Take your own chords because they are horrible in the Philippines. I bought a RainSong acoustic with the case, I placed it in baggage, it arrived in great shape, no problems.  If you want quality you must take it with you or ship it. I had a four piece band there. We played classic rock like Bob Seger, and country like Alabama. Of course I had to introduce the Filipinos to this music first. They lived the music and learned fast. Many musicians in Philippines. I payed my band out of my own pocket. They had families, wives and kids, so I got close to all of them. Extended family. I would give them peso three hundred for practices each and peso 1000.00 for actual gigs. They set up and tore down. Transported and put away. We had about forty songs when it was all said and done. They added some songs as well and I had to learn to sing some of them. Unfortunately, my son kept getting sick, wouldn't eat, lost ten pounds he didn't have to lose. I got sinus infections three times, my wife didn't adjust to the weather well after being the states. For eight years. So we came home after six months. We are happy to be home. Too many sacrifices to make. But it was dreams to go to the Philippines and live and have a band, and so I did. Scratched it off my bucket list. Now I'm wanting to move to Clearwater Florida, what do you think about that.? 

David B
Posted
Posted

I'm 30 minutes north of Clearwater.  I will be renting out my house here which will provide a source of income while we're in the PI and hoping to play music over there.  During my visit I was susceptible to the air pollution and ended up sick for a couple days.  I'm pretty sure it wasn't the food or water that made me sick.  I spent too much time in traffic in Iloilo and it hurt.  That is my biggest concern about living in PI.  My Filipina, having lived here for 4 years now insists on a comparable, western lifestyle when we move there.  I have no problem with that.  I suppose I'm off topic for this thread now.  We will keep our US home for the income, investment and fall-back plan.  I've noticed that employers in the PI discriminate re age, as all job postings in my field require a younger man than myself.  Therefore I will live on my talents and hobbies rather than my expertise.  From the #'s you throw out, it seems that making $ playing is not unrealistic.  Was it profitable for you after the pay-outs?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, David B said:

I'm 30 minutes north of Clearwater.  I will be renting out my house here which will provide a source of income while we're in the PI and hoping to play music over there.  During my visit I was susceptible to the air pollution and ended up sick for a couple days.  I'm pretty sure it wasn't the food or water that made me sick.  I spent too much time in traffic in Iloilo and it hurt.  That is my biggest concern about living in PI.  My Filipina, having lived here for 4 years now insists on a comparable, western lifestyle when we move there.  I have no problem with that.  I suppose I'm off topic for this thread now.  We will keep our US home for the income, investment and fall-back plan.  I've noticed that employers in the PI discriminate re age, as all job postings in my field require a younger man than myself.  Therefore I will live on my talents and hobbies rather than my expertise.  From the #'s you throw out, it seems that making $ playing is not unrealistic.  Was it profitable for you after the pay-outs?

Yes completely off off topic as it's nothing to do with shipping goods. It was you who said the topic titles did not help your search so perhaps consider where you post as well or start a new topic. :thumbsup:

David B
Posted
Posted

Yes, I wanted to reply to a line in the comment without it getting lost to the intended recipient.  I will learn more about how to navigate over time.  Please bear with me here.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, David B said:

Yes, I wanted to reply to a line in the comment without it getting lost to the intended recipient.  I will learn more about how to navigate over time.  Please bear with me here.

Highlight what you want to quote and a thing pops ups and says,  "Quote this".  Yes we will bear with you :thumbsup: