For those living in the area.

post-4732-0-18863800-1448324583_thumb.jp

Edited by virginprune
  • Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted

Thank you Virgin for a timely report.  I love this forum because it forces me to relearn Philippine geography, so I Google Earth MT KANLAON and it's located southeast of Bacolod, about 40 miles (64 kilometers).  

The explosion produced a 1.5 kilometer high white plume above the summit and eventually drifted southwest.  It would appear that PHIVOLCS is on the ball on this one.

Keep your head down guys!

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Thank you Virgin for a timely report.  I love this forum because it forces me to relearn Philippine geography, so I Google Earth MT KANLAON and it's located southeast of Bacolod, about 40 miles (64 kilometers).  

The explosion produced a 1.5 kilometer high white plume above the summit and eventually drifted southwest.  It would appear that PHIVOLCS is on the ball on this one.

I have always been fascinated by Volcano and have not seen one 'face to face' other than the docile one off Santarini, Greek Is.

Lets hope it settles down, for the sake of the locals.

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted

That's right Jake.  And only about  20 miles southwest from our place in San Carlos City! :o  If I remember it is almost 8000 ft.  We drove near there after the 2006 eruption.  It is very beautiful with almost perfect shape.  If there were another one beside it I think you would never leave the area Jake. :hystery:

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

That's right Jake.  And only about  20 miles southwest from our place in San Carlos City! :o  If I remember it is almost 8000 ft.  We drove near there after the 2006 eruption.  It is very beautiful with almost perfect shape.  If there were another one beside it I think you would never leave the area Jake. :hystery:

What are you doing to me Danny?  Are you teasing me too?  Two perfectly shaped.........yeah, I would never move away from my spot for the rest of my life.....he, he.  

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

The volcano appears to be 120 km from Dumaguete and 80 km from Cebu City (as the crow flies, according to Google Earth) so I wonder if an eruption would be big enough to have an  effect on either of these cities, particularly air traffic if there is volcanic ash in the air.

The only large eruption I paid any attention to, in my life, was Mt St Helens and that ash spread over 100 km

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I seem to remember one a few years ago "Iceland?" where it closed down the European Air traffic for many days. Volcanic Ash will Close down Aircraft Engines let alone the Visual Element.

Jack :unsure:

• Like 2

DavidK
Posted
Posted

Just more fun on life-friendly planet Earth. Sometimes the things that make it life-friendly can become decidedly life-unfriendly (if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time).

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I guess they have to vent at some time or the pressure build up would be enormous, Then there would be a bigger problem all over the World. Let it vent but control it, we know they can.

JMHO

J :tiphat: ack

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Let it vent but control it, we know they can.

OK, this one went over my head or I'm missing the smiley face or sarcasm here.

Who are the 'they' and how are they going to control Kanlaon Volcano from erupting like 'we know they can'???   :unsure: