Duterte Decides To Run

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Just a couple of weeks ago Rodrigo Duterte said he would not run, but apparently he has changed his mind.  I know the majority of the members here are not citizens and can not vote, but what are your thoughts.  

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-crime-fighting-philippine-mayor-jumps-into-presidential-race-2015-11

Well whoever gets in they will have one hell of a lot of work to get things back on track, he can do maybe the extremes stuff but.........

If he does get in he will just get ill and Stand Down and his Boy will take over ( That's the way it works here.)

But Guys and Gals lets be careful what we say here,

Jack :tiphat:

Jack would have to disagree here, Duterte is know to walk the talk, look at past history of the guy. Personally I believe he follow through on his promises unlike pretty much all other politicians. There will of course be a very influenctial group who's best interests would be served with the latter in power. Sadly this influence will be enough to ensure the result will some how go as they favor.

Well Bruce each to our own but I have seen this in so many places, Iraq, Libya, even with Franco and Spain, they really are out for themselves, Dictators ( because that is what he will be) fall in the End or dare I say, get turned on by their own. but the people will say won't they, then blame everyone else as they do here. The Philippines will get the Administration it deserves, so it is up to them :)

Jack  :unsure:

Mike S
Posted
Posted
Jack would have to disagree here, Duterte is know to walk the talk, look at past history of the guy. Personally I believe he follow through on his promises unlike pretty much all other politicians. There will of course be a very influenctial group who's best interests would be served with the latter in power. Sadly this influence will be enough to ensure the result will some how go as they favor.

He also refused campaign contributions from special interest groups because as he said he doesn't want to owe anyone anything ..... now that is a refreshing new idea ... all I can say is just see what he has done in Davao ..... did it make some people squeal .... sure but if you want to make a cake you gotta break some eggs .... JMHO

Damn .... look what you guys made me do ...... :rolleyes: ....... no more on this subject ..... "I know nothing" as Sgt. Schultz would say .... :hystery:  :hystery:  :hystery: 

:cheersty:  

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
all I can say is just see what he has done in Davao .

Yep one City now lets see what he can do with 7000+ Islands and its vast differing populous

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Of course we can say all we want here Rightly or Wrongly but it makes no difference, Maybe WE can see woods for Trees. but...............

Jack. 10/4 :)

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Duterte is know to walk the talk, look at past history of the guy. Personally I believe he follow through on his promises unlike pretty much all other politicians

He does seem like a strong leader type. I looked up the powers of the president. The president has a wide range of powers that can changes things, all the way from the appointment of heads of departments to eminent domain. What I found interesting, was in the middle of definition the is was deemed necessary to put the following in: 

It is important to note that during the term of President Ferdinand E. Marcos, he used executive issuances known as presidential decrees as a form of legislation. These decrees have the full force and effect of laws because at the time the legislature did not exist and, when the 1973 Constitution was put into full force and effect, it gave the power to the President to do as such. This continued until the first year of President Corazon C. Aquino’s term. However, President Aquino opted to used executive orders instead of presidential decrees. President Aquino’s executive orders, however, still had the full force and effect of laws until the ratification of the 1987 Constitution.

That's the pitfall of strong leaders, where to stop.

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Duterte is know to walk the talk, look at past history of the guy. Personally I believe he follow through on his promises unlike pretty much all other politicians

He does seem like a strong leader type. I looked up the powers of the president. The president has a wide range of powers that can changes things, all the way from the appointment of heads of departments to eminent domain. What I found interesting, was in the middle of definition the is was deemed necessary to put the following in: 

It is important to note that during the term of President Ferdinand E. Marcos, he used executive issuances known as presidential decrees as a form of legislation. These decrees have the full force and effect of laws because at the time the legislature did not exist and, when the 1973 Constitution was put into full force and effect, it gave the power to the President to do as such. This continued until the first year of President Corazon C. Aquino’s term. However, President Aquino opted to used executive orders instead of presidential decrees. President Aquino’s executive orders, however, still had the full force and effect of laws until the ratification of the 1987 Constitution.

Very good point.

The Independence Constitution was, like all Independence Constitutions, modelled on that of the departing Colonial Power, in this case the USA, but the powers of the President were weakened as the drafters feared that Manuel Quezon would be too much of an autocrat.

Quezon did not live to prove them either right or wrong, as WW2 intervened. To judge by his welcome to persecuted European Jews, he would have proved them wrong.  Marcos most certainly proved them right, and the 87 Constitution, which is modelled on the Independence Constitution, further weakens the powers of the President. 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Exactly my point, they never seem to know

Jack :thumbsup:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

What a pity the senate does not read this forum, they might learn Something. Or do they?

Just saying. :unsure:

Jack :)

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

What a pity the senate does not read this forum, they might learn Something. Or do they?

We know that President Aquino reads the Joe America blog, because he told us so in his last State of the Nation Address!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

We know that President Aquino reads the Joe America blog, because he told us so in his last State of the Nation Address!

There you go,  maybe he will get some ideas where he has/is going wrong. I always said the Filipinos don't read enough

Edited for   Don't ask :hystery:

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 1