Sexual Transmitted Disease (Std's)

Chad S
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the responses everyone.I want to briefly respond to a few comments to clarify what I asked and why. I'll also state a few assumptions I made.

I know that just like here in the USA you can't always believe what your see, hear and read. My assumption that for the most part being a Catholic Country this isn't much of a concern or issue, but just like here I know lack of education on certain topics can have negative results. Without being there and knowing the culture its hard to determine if the information that was discussed with me was truly a reflection of everyone or just the young lady I spoke with reality, opinion, or culture. This topic is not something I would normally ask a young lady or anyone really. During basic conversation back and forth one of the questions I asked questions regarding dating and relationships and whether or not from what she had seen do they last or what issues she saw as a Filipina lady. I had noted that most of what I had read so far had come from men and or Expats and if it was OK with her to share her views on things. During her communication back this was the information she shared. It was not an expected response, but was enough raise new questions and concerns. I don't like to just hear one side and make judgement. I like information. so when I have a question I ask. So again no disrespect intended or not trying to create a hot topic. The more information you get from various aspects gives you a better picture.

Thanks to everyone that responded. It was very helpful to clear things up.

Chad

• Like 1

Chad S
Posted
Posted

I would have thought that you were told the 'facts of life' when you were about 14 years old.  At your age, unless you have been living under a rock all your life, you should be able to know what is appropriate conversation with a lady and what is not.

No wonder they told you to bugger off!  

Personally, I don't need to have these types of topics on the forum, this is the first that I have encountered and I hope it is the last.

I have always held the forum in the highest of moral ground.

I apologize if you misread my intentions. Like you said I was taught about such things early, but most of the information I have seen regarding this from other articles or VBlogs including the Philippine news outlets and officials state they have not been given that level of information. This was not something I asked a lady originally. They started the topic and left many questions and didn't want to answer. For me If you bring up an issue, you should be able to answer questions or defend what you have said. In this case Its OK to ask. The 2 other ladies I asked was not angry. They just couldn't give me an answer. I respect that and is why I asked here.  Asking a question for clarification especially when I state in the beginning that no disrespect intended and just need information, shouldn't or in my opinion have anything to do with high moral ground or lack of. To me the context in which something is asked and the character of the person asking and of those responding can lead to issues, but I chose this forum, because a lot of the other topics I had seen and or the moderators responses to them I felt I could ask a respectable question and get a good response. When people don't ask questions, but make assumptions is where problems start. Hopefully this clears up my question for you. Thanks for your reply.

Chad

Chad S
Posted
Posted

I certainly never heard that Filipina girls are taught in school that they "must please men". Girls are expected to make good wives, which is not exactly the same thing. 

There is very very little sex education, in schools or anywhere else - quite unlike modern Britain where every practically every child, apart from the handful whose parents opt out, gets to put a condom on a banana before they are 15.

There is a shockingly high rate of teenage pregnancy in the Philippines - the highest in Southeast Asia - but this is attributable to the lack of sex education, not to a very high rate of sexual activity amongst teenagers.

On the specific point of STDs, I have read media reports in the Philippines Press and and social media that suggest that HIV - which has been relatively uncommon - may be on the point of spreading rapidly, due to the lack of awareness of the issue of STDs amongst the heterosexual population. There may be an agenda behind these reports, of course - the wish of liberals in the Philippines - and most of my Filipino friends, be they Catholic, Muslim or agnostic, would be in the "liberal" camp - to promote more sex education.  

I agree. When I search for articles on this I got the same information. It's hard to get a true reflection of things from what little information there is. A lot of the time especially in the media you just hear the bad. This paints a 1 sided picture. Thanks for the response.

Chad

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
There is a shockingly high rate of teenage pregnancy in the Philippines - the highest in Southeast Asia - but this is attributable to the lack of sex education, not to a very high rate of sexual activity amongst teenagers.
Lack of sex-ed is a huge problem here.  Our nephew is letting his girlfriend spend the night at his house in the province - so I offered to buy condoms for him.  My wife freaks out and says if he is seen with condoms they will know he is having sex.  ...but I think when the girlfriend turns up pregnant... they might suspect something too.  Of course just her staying at his house has got to let the nosy neighbors know. 

I know better than to try logic & reason though...  :tiphat:

• Like 5

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Condoms are not easy to come by in the Philippines.

At one end of the scale, 7-11's in Clark and Subic have them on the shelves - but these are places with large populations of foreigners. At the other end of the scale, in the provinces you may find a town of 50,000 people with nowhere selling them, and in between you find them in places like Mercury Drug if - and this is the huge catch - if you ASK FOR THEM.

How many Filipino young men - let alone young women - will do that? Almost none.   

When she lived in the Philippines K was regularly asked for condoms by friends who were too shy to buy them.

The usual consequence of a teenage or a twentysomething Filipina agreeing to have sex with her boyfriend is that she gets pregnant. Teenage sex is not that common but owing to the "lack of precautions", teenage pregnancy is not as rare as it should be.

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Chad,

I don't think you are troll so will make three suggestions that may help you out.

1 - Stop talking with the original Filipina that gave you that information, and try to forget everything she told you.

2 - Do not bring up the subject of sex when you talk with a Filipina in the future.

3 - Purchase and read the book "Culture Shock! Philippines" available from Amazon.

Regards,

Mike

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Not intended or embarrass anyone, Just need answers.

During my information gathering I run across information on bar girls and the testing or very little testing or education about STD's , which led to more research on the difference in sex in relationships. I have been talking to one Filipina that said that in schools and the home they are taught that Men like sex and they must please us. They are taught they should have their first experience as early as 15 or 16. Not so much a difference than whats happening here in the USA, but for me it not what I'm looking for. So now I have this picture in my head of women that most have had relations with A LOT of people. I asked a couple of Filipina and I got a "I don't want to talk about that" and "That's not appropriate for you to ask, ask a man"  Does anyone else have a concern for this?

So is this true from what you guys have experienced? That they are taught this at a young age? Multiple partners before you meet them?

When is it appropriate to ask about this or how and who to ask?  

I assume a lot of this has to do with the type of girls you choose, but If you get a few guys or girls make a bad choice then its over. I don't want to worry about it, but I can't seem to get this out of my head.

All heresay evidence, all wrong, except in very isolated cases.

Brief short answer. There are a lot of 15-16 yo virgins in the Philippines and very few who have had multiple partners. They relatively new "Reproductive Health Bill" signed off by President Aquino 4 years ago would be amore interesting topic as it very slowly and gradually has an impact here. Then you have the influence of the church, which is considerable.

There could be more interesting topics rather than something one Filipina told you.

I am not sure how this topic will run, will leave it to the moderators.

Good to have your medical background knowledge on this issue Chris, but I doubt that is the motivation for this post.  This OP is a blow in and almost immediately drops into discussions about sex issues!  If he is so interested in the sexual habits of male and females in Philippines, indeed many other Asian countries for that matter - there is a thing called a library where he can glean as much information as he likes.  His suggestion of discussion he has had with 'bar girls' is evidence of that.  Even 'bar girls' were at first brought up in a strict Catholic environment and such discussions would be distasteful to them.

But does he do that - no!  My suspicions based on years of experience in another field and dealing with sexual offenders at all various levels, is that research was not the motivation for this post.  My point is that this is a 'family orientated' forum where middle aged and above guys get together to discuss everyday issues that cross their paths.  Or most importantly offer help to other members for whatever problem that has arisen for them.

I agree that there is not enough enforcement within the 'bar girl scene' on medical checks, but Philippines has a far stricter code of requirements than Thailand for example.  But alas once again, corruption and laziness of so called 'professionals'  in both country and the system invoked falls down.

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted

His suggestion of discussion he has had with 'bar girls' is evidence of that. Even 'bar girls' were at first brought up in a strict Catholic environment and such discussions would be distasteful to them.

I agree that being a "bar girl" in the Philippines is not necessarily an indication of bad character. It's more a sign of economic necessity where an average looking girl can enhance her looks enough to attract men. Eventhen, it's a hard life and it's better to try to understand the situation rather than condemn. Some guys marry

bar girls and it has been known to work out well.

agree that there is not enough enforcement within the 'bar girl scene' on medical checks, but Philippines has a far stricter code of requirements than Thailand for example

There is progress in sex education and possibly things we don't see. But sure there is a deficiency in dissemination information to poor single girls. It's more geared to family planning for married women. We have a visiting health nurse, weekly in the barangay clinic, but have not seen single women there.

• Like 2

DavidK
Posted
Posted

Some over-reaction here surely? The lack of sex education here is a disgrace in this day and age but in a large majority catholic country which doesn't even have a divorce law it's no surprise. As such the number of teenage pregnancies isn't either.

Also the attitude to reproductive health/condoms and the prevalent use of drugs will inevitably increase the HIV infected rate. Even trials to help monitor/reduce the problem here in Cebu have been blocked thanks to the god botherers.

• Like 5