Sexual Transmitted Disease (Std's)

Chad S
Posted
Posted

Hi Chad!

The best book remains "Culture Shock - Philippines" - written many years ago by a distinguished Filipino writer.

A "bar girl" is a young lady who earns her living by entertaining male customers in a bar.

In plain language, a bar girl is more or less a prostitute, but would consider herself a cut above a street walker. As noted, the term does encompass young ladies who do not sleep with customers, or who seldom do so.

Very many young women find themselves working as bar girls because they are single mothers and the Philippines offers them little by way of alternative employment. In the big cities, a proportion of female college students will work in bars to finance their tuition fees and maintenance.

Triple LIKE Andrew!  A must read for all expats, young and old.  Shall we include other local terms associated with other Asian countries?  For example, Japayuki in Japan or whatever they're call the ladies of the evening in Shanghai, China?

Chad, as for you young man we are grateful that you are sticking around with us old farts.  We have other young grasshoppa under our care and feeding......he, he.  In your post #33, is it a safe assumption that you grew up in a relatively sheltered lifestyle?  Apparently, you curiosity gave you much intelligence, reading cultural books and asking more questions about the world.  You articulate well in your writings and genuinely concern if this OP was appropriate or not.  You have a lot of homework to do, just reading the numerous topics in this wonderful forum.  For example, just type in bargirl in our search box (upper right corner -- google site search) and see what you get.  It's an eye opener.....

When did it all began -- the early history of the flesh market even before the Spaniards, Japanese and American GI's came into to town?  I would imagine that certain area of a village or barrio was like an open secret among the ancient fishermen, farmers and sea mariners.  Throughout mankind, the temptation of the flesh was even biblical.  How many wife's and concubines did King David and his son Solomon have?  

In a more recent history, the US military in the Philippines greatly enhanced that livelihood to a multi million dollar industry.  It's the oldest profession for services rendered, worldwide.  What happen to the ladies after the US military bases closed in the early 1990's? Although some were burned out or wasted in drugs and alcohol (it comes with the territory), many continued with their life and became productive members of the society.  Many are still happily married with great families.

Sure the OP is about STD's.  But I would also like to add another issue dealing with young pregnancy or a homeless mother with 3 young babies. Yeah, it's call poverty, a runaway condition with no end in sight. And one of the by product of poverty is called desperation.  Try to look through their eyes.

Respectfully -- Jake

It feels good being called young. LOL I feel old. But yes you are correct.  Until I was 19 I lived with mom, and was sheltered from reality or at least she thought   :no:

considering most of the comments here, I now wonder why the government and churches are not involved more? ..... I'll leave this right here or Ill type for an hour. 

Whats the deal with the boys/men in these stories? I know you got many that are kids and just not ready, some selfish player type and then vacationers or visitors that are just there for the same reasons, but Why so many single Filipina and an absent Filipino dad? Or I see stories of 27-30yr old widows.. I never see an explanation, just know many are not around.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

but Why so many single Filipina and an absent Filipino dad? Or I see stories of 27-30yr old widows..

Complex question. Requires a deeper understanding of the culture, which even for those of us who live here can be a tough analysis. On the widows, not sure, I have no statistics to back up what I might say. Shootings, accidents, drug deaths? But I don't have enough stats to back up. Maybe a good analogy would be a African-American ghetto situation in an inner city USA.

You have a limited learning when studying a culture. And if you live here it will also take a few years to getsome understanding of what goes on here.

The forum is a rough guide. But living here or staying for an extended period is better.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
And if you live here it will also take a few years to getsome understanding of what goes on here.

Chris, your the master of understatement on that one.................. :thumbsup:  :cheersty:

• Like 2

Vince Runza
Posted
Posted

...I see stories of 27-30yr old widows.

They married (very) old expats! Remember Anna Nicole Smith?

Anna-Nicole-Smith-husband-anna-nicole-sm

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

Excellent history lesson Andrew!  I always laugh when the archbishop of Manila speaks.  Having the title and name of Cardinal Sin gives that extra flavor of sweet and sour soy sauce.....he, he.

You're absolutely right about the Filipino playboy.  Having a number 2, 3 and 4 is a favorite pastime, especially among the rich and powerful.  The playboy brought womanizing to a higher science of hit and run.  

Triple LIKE sir!

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Well said Andrew, an honest but thoughtful commentary. :AddEmoticons04230:

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
or quote specific texts,

All member groups can quote text/posts so you must have been doing something wrong.  :thumbsup:

Vince Runza
Posted
Posted

I vaguely remember having the same problem, when my post count was low. Of course, I'm the same guy who thought his name was 'Occupant' for about six months. I straightened that out with the postal carrier. My name is 'Current Resident'!

• Like 2

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
Cardinal Sin

An immortal sin?