Dengue Fever

mogo51
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Well sometimes that is inevitable to be bitten but for some strange reason I don't get much reaction from a bite ( If that is the right term) I put it down to either the Blood medications I am on (and they don't like it) or as the Spanish swear by, the amount of Garlic intake I have. On this I have to admit that to my thoughts, Prevention is far better that Cure. :huh:

Jack, I have it, they can't penetrate your thick skin!!!!

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

jack, I have it, they can't penetrate your thick skin!!!!

Not so thick this week :56da632e94212_1(60):

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Not so thick this week :56da632e94212_1(60):

don't worry Jack, only the first couple of rounds, you are just assessing the opponent before you open

up.!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
roddavis
Posted
Posted

Well guys, just got back home from the hospital after getting dengue fever. Amazing bug I must say. I don't get too many mosquito bites that I miss cuz when I do get bit. they itch like crazy, so I know that I got hit. This time though, didn't notice.

Went for a drive to Cebu City with my boys visiting from the US. Since we live on the other side of Cebu opposite the city, have to drive over the seven mountain passes to get to the city. Anyway, started up the steep mountain grades, but noticed I was getting car sick. Had to stop and empty my stomach. This drive rarily bothers me. After getting back on the road I noticed a strange red puffy mark on my finger. No pain, no itch, just slightly raised spot. Well I feel asleep in the car till we arrived at SeaCrest SM mall. Walked around the Mall with my grown boys and did some shopping and prepared to drive the 1.5 hours back home. That is the last I remember till I woke up in the hospital 2 weeks later! I don't remember anything. Wife filled me in a little. I had it bad! I remember snippets of arguing with a Doctor,because I was restrained. Kept pulling out my IV's. I do remember talking, more like arguing with my Boys. I do remember the oldest saying if I don't go he said I would die here! Then wife saying that I was trying to chew her fingers! Strange what you do when you are not lucid. 

So now still in bed rest. When I stand, I get dizzy and have to lie back down. Just amazed that I lost that much time. Unfortunately lost the remaining time with my boys since they had to return back to the States. So I only got to spend a few days with them that I remember. The ambulance ride to local hospital. They didn't know what was wrong with me. Then another ambulance drive back to Cebu city hospital where I was diagnosed. Had tiny white spots  all over my body. They had me intravenous, stomach tubes, high fever and not lucid. What a ride! Don't want to do that again!:SugarwareZ-037:

• Sad 5
  • Hmm thinking 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Good to hear your back on the mend. What about that vaccine that was floating about over there, is it safe once you've had dengue or is the verdict still out on that one. :thumbsup:

• Hmm thinking 1

Alexander
Posted
Posted

I had a dengue fever last year, too. Very unpleasant ~3 weeks... I've lost ~14 kilos of weight. But thai doctors allowed me to stay home, they just gave me medicines needed, and shared recommendations. Thai people really don't consider dengue fever as something special.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

roddavis,

Wow. Glad to hear you are doing better. A bit scary getting that sick. Did you have PhilHealth?

roddavis
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, earthdome said:

roddavis,

Wow. Glad to hear you are doing better. A bit scary getting that sick. Did you have PhilHealth?

No I didn't. Can not justify the costs and restrictions associated with the insurance.

Gary D
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Clermont said:

Good to hear your back on the mend. What about that vaccine that was floating about over there, is it safe once you've had dengue or is the verdict still out on that one. :thumbsup:

My understanding is that the vaccine is dangerous if given once you have already had dengue. That's why they stopped giving it because of people not knowing they had already had it as it can be like a mild flu.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
roddavis
Posted
Posted
On 5/13/2019 at 5:31 PM, Alexander said:

I had a dengue fever last year, too. Very unpleasant ~3 weeks... I've lost ~14 kilos of weight. But thai doctors allowed me to stay home, they just gave me medicines needed, and shared recommendations. Thai people really don't consider dengue fever as something special.

Dengue on the rise Davao

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1806470/Davao/Local-News/Dengue-epidemic-expected-in-Davao-region-this-year?fbclid=IwAR0SY_WnU5AcxoEGu1zNDLrSdF17XLGO7DGMTSVyOw930-g1ZkkpA2YwsNY

THE Department of Health (DOH)-Davao reported that dengue cases in Davao region have more than doubled to 2,468 from January to May 16, as compared to the same period in 2018 with only 1,050 cases.

DOH-Davao records further showed a total of four deaths have been recorded due to late discovery of what is presumed to be just a mere fever but the condition of the patient has gotten worse when brought to the hospital. 

In a press conference on Monday, May 20, DOH-Davao Regional Dengue Control and Prevention Program Manager engineer Antonietta Ebol said they this may still increase in the coming weeks.

“Nag-expect tayo na epidemic year kasi ang last kaso natin [in] 2016 umabot tayo ng 12,000 ‘yon yong time na umupo si PRRD (President Rodrigo Duterte) na nagalit siya sa lahat so after three years niyan kasi cyclical pattern, we’re expecting for that [dengue cases to rise],” Ebol said.

She said the figure is gradually increasing despite the measures and interventions that they have undertaken to minimize dengue cases. They will continue and intensify their awareness campaign down to the grassroots level to at least reduce it if not eliminate mosquito-borne diseases.

“Hindi natin maiiwasan talaga kasi naging virulent na ang mga lamok. And then lahat ng zero type nasa Region 11 (We cannot avoid the epidemic because the mosquitos have become virulent. All the zero type are also in the region),” Ebol said.

Zero type means mosquitoes that transmit dengue and chikungunya diseases to humans.

Based on the cumulative total from January 1 to May 16, 2019, of suspected cases based on the signs and symptoms presented by the patients, Davao City posted the highest number of dengue cases with 1,039 and one death.

It was followed by Compostela Valley with 525 cases; Davao Oriental with 487 and one death; Davao del Norte with 323; Davao del Sur with 75 cases and one death; and Davao Occidental with 75 and one death.

Ebol clarified that these are not confirmed cases.

In comparison to the 2018 data, Davao City has 509 cases with one death, followed by Compostela Valley with 253 cases; Davao del Norte with 116 cases; Davao Oriental with 113 cases; Davao del Sur with 40 cases and one death; and Davao Occidental with 19 cases and one death.

Ebol said the upcoming rainy season and the warm temperature do not bode well for the dengue situation in Davao Region. The rainy season will produce breeding sites while the warm temperature may multiply the number of mosquitoes.

They have also strengthened their monitoring system and submit weekly reports of dengue cases from different areas. These reports are submitted to the Health secretary.

“Aside sa mandate sa DOH, gina-capacitate nato atong mga local government unit partners ug nagahatag pod tag commodities nga magamit nila. Ato pod gi-tap ang iba’t-ibang sector, nagsulat ta sa governor, city and municipal mayor, ug DILG (We have also capacitated our local government units and provided them with the materials they may need. We also tapped different sectors and reached out to the governors, city and municipal mayor, and the DILG),” she added.

The Anti-Dengue Task Force was also revived to monitor what is being done in different areas to mitigate the effects of the spread of dengue.