Medical Care. I'm Stuck Here Right Now.

RBM
Posted
Posted

Would endorse the above. Chris, health is everything, meaning everything, forget all other stuff concentrate health. If it means missing your race so what, plenty more.

Either get yoursel to Manilia or back home, but get the correct treatment before anything else.

• Like 5

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

I could do with a bit more advanced level care, not readily available here. I have a local Dr., a good guy for writing out prescriptions, but here locally we really don't have the full facilities. Similar to what others have posted, I would have to get to Manila for a few consultations and it's really not practical right now. I can get things done back home, but then I need to budget a few things. Family support and a bit more cash is hand for my trip. Age Pension is there for me, about a year overdue, just a matter of getting back, then waiting out a 4-6 week period for the benefits. As the Aussies will know, you cannot apply from overseas.

I dread it also, getting along without Gina's support is not something I look forward to.

So what's going on?

1. Asthma has been hard to shake this time. I put 3000 km on the bike in 3 months and we are still in November. I could clear the lungs by riding and coughing out the junk, the phlegm, maybe in 20 minutes. Last 6-7 outings it's taking much longer and the cough will recur. Usually I will be ok through the day until going to bed. As last night I slept well but had 2 nebulizers, before sleeping, and another one when I woke up. I'm on cortisone which gives me hand tremors, and will finish the current course by Friday. That's my second course this month. Had 2 full nights almost no sleep due to cough, and that's the sign it's worse this time.

2. Hearing Loss, urinary burning and frequency at night, worse if I drink beer or eat hot chilies. Fading memory at times. Well all manageable under medical care for Senior Citizens back home.

So hit a bit of a wall here. Our pension is 4th December. Fortunately have a few uncashed US Gov't checks, but don't have the $200 to reopen my dollar account, so everything is on hold until 4th December.

I have 2 bike races 6 December, and 19th. The first one is out still have a hope for the 2nd one. Because I rely on it, sitting around the house is hard for me in the AM, when they don't need me around. That's why I get out as much as possible.

My daughter in USA sent me some holdover money, enough until the 4th.

So anyway, no real question here, but will be open to comments. I decided to take 3 full rest days until Saturday. Concentrating on my meds and see what happens. Just now 9 AM,the weather is warming up and my breathing is immediately improving. But at 5 30 AM when heading out, the weather has been cold enough to need additional clothing like arm warmers, gloves and 2 cycing jerseys.

Chris, do you have any Salbutamol MDI's just for emergencies?

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

I do Mike have a standard Ventolin (Salbutamol) inhaler and I had to use it multiple times last week. Very short term help. So I went back to Salbutamol nebulizers and even then it did not hold me. Now I have gone to Ipratropium nebulizers with Albuterol, which in USA is Atrovent. Very helpful but need one every 6 hours. I'm going with that for 2 days and stopping the Salbutamol because it's no longer helping. Also Seritide inhaler twice a day. Prednisone 5 mgm tablets tapering down until Friday.

Can't say if it's helping because Gina just came back with the order. Previously has helped me.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I do Mike have a standard Ventolin (Salbutamol) inhaler and I had to use it multiple times last week.

Not sure i can take all the Post in but Chris, I know you live on a farm, can I just ask, in this dry weather  (Well I presume it is dry up there just now) is the dust doing anything to make matters worse? I ask only that if i don't dampen things down around the House the Dust can really get to me, even the Dogs are at times choking and sneezing.

Jack :unsure:

chris49
Posted
Posted

I do Mike have a standard Ventolin (Salbutamol) inhaler and I had to use it multiple times last week.

Not sure i can take all the Post in but Chris, I know you live on a farm, can I just ask, in this dry weather  (Well I presume it is dry up there just now) is the dust doing anything to make matters worse? I ask only that if i don't dampen things down around the House the Dust can really get to me, even the Dogs are at times choking and sneezing.

Jack :unsure:

There is something in the air which is bothering me here sitting inside. In the sunlight I can see the dust particles. Been going outside to get more fresh air and it makes a difference. But not on the bike, there's a lot of buses belching smoke, along with tricycles and motorcycles. Sometimes get stuck behind them.

Bottom line. I'm having 3 days complete rest with the regime of meds. I haven't admitted to overdoing it, but the way I was feeling I should not have been out there, last 10 days.

• Like 2

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

I do Mike have a standard Ventolin (Salbutamol) inhaler and I had to use it multiple times last week. Very short term help. So I went back to Salbutamol nebulizers and even then it did not hold me. Now I have gone to Ipratropium nebulizers with Albuterol, which in USA is Atrovent. Very helpful but need one every 6 hours. I'm going with that for 2 days and stopping the Salbutamol because it's no longer helping. Also Seritide inhaler twice a day. Prednisone 5 mgm tablets tapering down until Friday.

Can't say if it's helping because Gina just came back with the order. Previously has helped me.

If you can get yourself hold of a spacer...use it with your inhaler, you will find it makes a huge difference on the salbutamol.

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

If you can afford it, I highly recommend Bumrungrad International https://www.bumrungrad.com/in Bangkok. A few of my expat friends swear by it for diagnosis of odd medical situations. A friend of mine went to Manila for some tendon damage in his hand and they (St Luke's) said they couldn't do anything about it. He then went to Bumrungrad and they did minor surgery and he was fixed immediately. They accept most medical insurances and will pick you up from the hospital. You can also contact them and prearrange everything with your health insurance.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

If you can afford it, I highly recommend Bumrungrad International https://www.bumrungrad.com/in Bangkok. A few of my expat friends swear by it for diagnosis of odd medical situations. A friend of mine went to Manila for some tendon damage in his hand and they (St Luke's) said they couldn't do anything about it. He then went to Bumrungrad and they did minor surgery and he was fixed immediately. They accept most medical insurances and will pick you up from the hospital. You can also contact them and prearrange everything with your health insurance.

Thanks Jon. No insurance applicable to that. Health care for seniors in Australia supersedes anything I can get in the Philippines or Thailand.

Would go back Australia sooner if necessary. Holding fast right now.

• Like 1