Medical Care. I'm Stuck Here Right Now.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Age Pension is there for me, about a year overdue, just a matter of getting back, then waiting out a 4-6 week period for the benefits. As the Aussies will know, you cannot apply from overseas.

Not meaning to hijack your topic but how do you get around the living in Australia part when applying ? 

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/spw/customer/forms/resources/ci006-1509en.pdf

Can I get the Age Pension while living overseas?

Australia is an expensive country, so it's easy to see why many Australians reaching pension age or already receiving a pension may consider countries with cheaper living costs such as Thailand or Bali.

If you've already been receiving the Age Pension for greater than two years while in Australia you can move overseas and receive the pension. The amount you'll receive depends on how long you'll stay overseas and how long you lived in Australia since being 16.

Living overseas for greater than 26 weeks will see your pension reduced to an amount in proportion to the number of years you were an Australian resident once over the age of 16. If you've lived in Australia for greater than 25 years you'll receive the full amount.

If you've lived in Australia for less than 25 years you'll receive an amount in proportion to the years as a resident.

If you've come back to Australia and have started receiving the Age Pension in the last two years you won't be able to receive the Age Pension overseas. In these cases you must live in Australia for at least two years since your last arrival for residence.

Remember too that countries like Austria, New Zealand, Canada, Chile, Greece, Italy and the USA have social security agreements which will in some cases continue your payments, so be sure to check on the Department of Human Services for more information regarding this.

Residence Requirements

To qualify for the Age Pension you must be an Australian resident (that is, living in Australia on a permanent basis) and in Australia on the day the claim is lodged, and must also satisfy one of the following:

• be an Australian resident for a total of at least 10 years, with at least five of these years in one period; or
  • have a qualifying residence exemption; or
  • be a woman who is widowed in Australia when both she and her late partner were Australian residents, and who has 104 weeks residence immediately before the claim; or
  • be receiving Widow B Pension, Widow Allowance or Partner Allowance immediately before reaching pension age.

Special rules apply to residence in countries with which Australia has an International Social Security Agreement. Residence in these countries may count towards the minimum 10-year residence requirement.

https://www.dss.gov.au/our-responsibilities/seniors/benefits-payments/age-pension

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have researched all that JGF.

What is the point you are trying to tell me?

I'm an Aussie, fulfilled my 10 years of Residency. Not living in Australia. I must be physically present in Australia to file a claim. Then, if awarded, I will fulfill my 24 months requirement. Philippines is not an International Agreement country.

It comes under resumption of residency for someone who has been absent for a long period.

As for the quote you inserted, those rules were changed in Jan 2015. 25 years becomes 35 years and 6 months is reduced to 6 weeks unless you have the full 35 years.

Edited by chris49

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Asthma
Do warm water steam reduce the problem? I know it help against the small CHILD breath problem similar to asthma (=croup).

How about eucalyptus as assist?   (But not to much, because it can make a type of poisoning making swollen throut..)

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Do warm water steam reduce the problem? I know it help against the small CHILD breath problem similar to asthma (=croup).

It was a good idea. I'm breathing hot steam just now after the nebulizer.

How about eucalyptus as assist? (But not to much, because it can make a type of poisoning making swollen throut..)

No, I'm not breathing that in. That would be for nasal congestion, blocked nose.

Edited by chris49

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Asthma

How about eucalyptus as assist?   (But not to much, because it can make a type of poisoning making swollen throut..)

Croup and Asthma are totally 2 different respiratory complaints.

chris49
Posted
Posted
Croup and Asthma are totally 2 different respiratory complaints.

Of course. But I tried not to negate his advice.

Meanwhile I got hold of my ex Air Force friend in the USA who happens to be an ER Doc.

We are bumping up the Prednisone for 5 days and adding an antibiotic. And taking 7-10 days off all exercise. Not ideal, not seeing the Dr. in person, but under the circumstances I am going with his recommendation.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I have no helpful suggestions or medical advice but will put in a prayer that you may quickly recover Chris.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

I have no helpful suggestions or medical advice but will put in a prayer that you may quickly recover Chris.

Salamat po.

Now stopped all the nebulizers which were not helping and got onto a very high dose of steroids. Had 2 long sleeps last night and a good nap just now. So if I'm right I am turning the corner.

No biking was the other key, so I can feel the difference. It's going to be 7-10 days of rest, which a few of you did mention.

Thanks to all who replied.

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I have researched all that JGF. What is the point you are trying to tell me? I'm an Aussie, fulfilled my 10 years of Residency. Not living in Australia. I must be physically present in Australia to file a claim. Then, if awarded, I will fulfill my 24 months requirement. Philippines is not an International Agreement country.

Sorry

I am sure I read you said something about taking 4 to 6 weeks so I thought perhaps you did not know that there was more to it. In the future I won't tell you anything unless you specifically ask. 

chris49
Posted
Posted

I am sure I read you said something about taking 4 to 6 weeks so I thought perhaps you did not know that there was more to it. In the future I won't tell you anything unless you specifically ask

C/L, Centrelink says if you file a claim for Age Pension, you may file 2 months in advance and you will be paid on your due date. But they also say you cannot file your claim unless living in Australia on the day you file your claim. Then it's approximately 28 days to get your fist payment. But it depends on when the pension dayfalls.

If living in an International Agreement Country which means you never have to return to Australia, your pension is shared between those 2 countries and you will get less (but no travel expenses). However if you left the agreement country to live in a 3rd country the pension will be stopped or reviewed after 6 weeks. If you don't live in the agreement country you get your full pension from the agreement country. But in Australia there I a formula to deduct 50 cents in each dollar once your total income plus assets goes over a certain amount. It is advantageous to live in Australia, or living in Australia making periodic visits overseas. Each case has different parameters and for me to get the maximum it would be 6 weeks in and out with about a one month stay home each occurrence, or maybe less time at home by simply going in and out. However if you only flew into Australia for a short stay of eg 24 hours, eventually C/L will declare that you are not an Australian Resident and they may take action.

The USA has no such rules. The pension is yours for life, there are no such rules except you can't live in a country hostile to the USA. They ask you by mail every year to verify where you are living and if you are stiil alive. You cannot get your money by ATM, you must be physically present at the bank and this is strictly enforced even in the Philippines, even if the manager knows you personally.

That's why, JGF, sorry to rant on, even for me a born Aussie, going home, after a long absence presents a major problem. C/L is linked to immigration and the current period of time required to remain in Australia is 24 months after the award. Pension payable retroactive to Day 1, but will be stopped if you cross immigration and the date is linked to your C/L account.