Befriending Filipinos

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Apparently I have no Signal on My Phone just now, I know this because one of my few Local friends has called to the house tom tell me.

My Wife was doing a Till Cash Count Audit when he went to pay his Electric Bill.As I hadn't seen him for a week or More ( he was away Working on Cebu)

He asked her how I was [ I had been a bit under the Weather last time we spoke] OH! OK I guess, he can't be reached [ This Morning he was a bit Dizzy she told him] So when he came back to the Barangay he stopped off and we had a Coffee, saying that my Signal was off and he though the would POP in to make sure I was OK knowing then, I was on my own out here. This can make all the Difference in the Province and when you are somewhat alone.

YEP! sure does you well, to have some local Friends.

Jack :thumbsup:

• Like 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

An interesting topic and an ambivalent term. Some people use the term loosely and others use it with a long list of qualifiers. I'm on good terms with and enjoy bantering with a heck-of-a-lot of Filipinos. They're 'casual friends', good people, nice people and sometimes just 'acquaintances'. Just like many ex-pats I know and people I have known throughout my life.

What I consider my 'true friends' however, are people who are 'time-tested' and 'stress-tested' like solid banks. Reciprocity is a critical factor. So are integrity, fidelity and honesty. I never take advantage of my friends. I expect little from them unless its a fair and freely agreed to, open and transparent exchange. I would rather give to, than take from, a true friend and would feel good about it. I respect my true friends and expect the same in return. Kinda narrows the field down, doesn't it. Loosely paraphrasing the Bard, 'the friends thou hast and their adoptions tried, grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel.'  A friend will come to your funeral or at least submit a personal eulogy. Maybe my standards are too high, but I am old and have seen far too many ephemeral 'friendships' wither on the vine when confronted with politics, war, divorce, financial stress..... you name it.

So do I have Filipino 'friends'? Not really, but there are several good candidates in the making, including my wife. Ask me in another 20 years and I'll list them then. 

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

An interesting topic and an ambivalent term. Some people use the term loosely and others use it with a long list of qualifiers. I'm on good terms with and enjoy bantering with a heck-of-a-lot of Filipinos. They're 'casual friends', good people, nice people and sometimes just 'acquaintances'. Just like many ex-pats I know and people I have known throughout my life.

What I consider my 'true friends' however, are people who are 'time-tested' and 'stress-tested' like solid banks. Reciprocity is a critical factor. So are integrity, fidelity and honesty. I never take advantage of my friends. I expect little from them unless its a fair and freely agreed to, open and transparent exchange. I would rather give to, than take from, a true friend and would feel good about it. I respect my true friends and expect the same in return. Kinda narrows the field down, doesn't it. Loosely paraphrasing the Bard, 'the friends thou hast and their adoptions tried, grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel.'  A friend will come to your funeral or at least submit a personal eulogy. Maybe my standards are too high, but I am old and have seen far too many ephemeral 'friendships' wither on the vine when confronted with politics, war, divorce, financial stress..... you name it.

So do I have Filipino 'friends'? Not really, but there are several good candidates in the making, including my wife. Ask me in another 20 years and I'll list them then. 

Some nice analogies there. I forgot to mention my Compare's or Padre's, godfather's to our 2 children. OK, it's a Catholic thing and I'm not Catholic, and we did name more than 20, about 10 on each side, per local tradition. Most of my bike mates took it very seriously and will great me as Pare or Pare Chris. So if there was no bond there before there is now.

Up to now they are my friends and it's well evidenced by they way they accept me and in that they always pay their share of the bill during outings....that in itself being a good indicator. I have had "friends" before who stood back and let me pay, so that's a difference.

Reciprosity as you say is a major factor.

• Like 4

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

One develops invisible antennae which twitch on the approach of someone who wants something.

• Like 5